DA:O Stingy, stingy game-very mild spoilers

Dragon Age: Origins

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Mostly enjoying Dragon Age, but the lack of interesting loot is really a downer. I'm 8th level and I'm still using the Acolyte Staff that I got during the mage origin story. I have the same robes, shoes, etc. too. I FINALLY! got a rogue to open all these chests and they contain the same low level, low value shit that was in the barrels. It's funny to go into an armory, find a chest and get an Elfroot leaf in the whole place. The dwarf dude in my camp sells some very nice stuff, but even with pickpocketing every soul in the gameworld and opening all chest/barrels I can find, I've got 10 gold pieces to my name, after buying the necessary potions.

Does the loot EVER pick up? Too bad they didn't import the loot system from Dragon Age Journeys. I still didn't have a lot of cash, but I found stuff my character could use all the time.

Not to laugh at your plight but ... LOL ... yes getting rich in DA is certainly a stretch. My gold is very slowly accumulating but you won't be buying tons of uber items in this game so choose wisely!

DA certainly is far cry from games like Morrowind or Oblivion, where my characters tend to end as a filthy rich super hero. Heck, even if you used exploits and get rich in DA, there are not many uber-items you could buy.

However, there are few sets of rare armors available but usually you need to do a quest for them. One of them is guarded by revenants.

Also pay attention to enchantment slots available on certain unique weapon which make them more powerful. One i found has 3 slots and you can add attack bonuses or type of damages with runes).

I think loot in this game is perfect. You won't ever get 'rich', but you'll find upgrades here and there. There are named items, and then there are enchantable items. It's mostly random I think, so where you haven't found a better staff yet, I had like 3 better ones at level 8, but Leliana was still using the same boots for a long while, for example.

I think loot could have been done a lot better, especially armor. It doesn't make sense to have 3-4 different pairs of boots, gloves, etc, with different names and the exact same stats.

agreed. Bring up the stats on a new, differently named item and it's all the same! Bah!

My rogue is still rollin w/ her Dalish origin armor too, she's lv 7. I usually never buy weapons and armor for the first ten levels or so as a rule in rpgs, since I always end up getting something better the minute I do. That doesnt apply in DA, I broke down and got a nice dagger "Thorn of the Dead Gods" because I'm just not getting any good loot! And the gold is definitely coming slow and going quick as well, since I'm balancing traps/poison crafting.

But.. it's for the greater good in the end. I'd rather have to pick and choose, and have loot be a rare and fun experience than the opposite - be tripping over it and have to do a loot sort session after every encounter. Some games, i really get tired of the constant loot sorting.

I think the game´s general stinginess is fine and I like the overall gold balancing because it adds one more aspect where player needs to be careful with his decisions. In most games, money cease to be an issue at latest around midgame.

However, the loot system certainly leaves something to be desired.
I´d say it´s actually the game´s weakest spot. Quest loot or monster loot is ok with me, chest loot is not. I think I´m in the last 1/3 in game and so far I haven´t found anything worthwhile in non-quest chests.

Just adding a probability of spawning a high level unique item in uneasily lockpickable chests would rectify the issue sufficiently.
It would add more relevance to rogue class and retain looting chests exciting, especially on successive playthroughs.
Also, it wouldn´t unbalance the economics since you can only sell things highly underprice anyway.

Interestingly, stealing from npc´s seems to yield much better profit in this game.

I think I´m in the last 1/3 in game and so far I haven´t found anything worthwhile in non-quest chests.

thanks for the info. Here I was feeling kinda bummed at the time because chests at a certain place were above my lockpick level, and just minutes earlier i chose to go w/ a combat-related talent point instead of lockpicking.

I think loot could have been done a lot better, especially armor. It doesn't make sense to have 3-4 different pairs of boots, gloves, etc, with different names and the exact same stats.
Not saying it makes better sense or not, but there is a difference in that, the more slots of the same type you have, the better the bonus. Like, if you have chest and legs chainmail you get a bonus you don't get if they are chainmail and scalemail even if their stats are exactly the same (you'll see a green buff icon when you have a good match)

I think the game´s general stinginess is fine and I like the overall gold balancing because it adds one more aspect where player needs to be careful with his decisions. In most games, money cease to be an issue at latest around midgame.

However, the loot system certainly leaves something to be desired.
I´d say it´s actually the game´s weakest spot. Quest loot or monster loot is ok with me, chest loot is not. I think I´m in the last 1/3 in game and so far I haven´t found anything worthwhile in non-quest chests.

Just adding a probability of spawning a high level unique item in uneasily lockpickable chests would rectify the issue sufficiently.
It would add more relevance to rogue class and retain looting chests exciting, especially on successive playthroughs.
Also, it wouldn´t unbalance the economics since you can only sell things highly underprice anyway.
I may be wrong, but I think I got a named weapon once from a chest

A vendor in the commons section of Orazamar sells what is undoubtely the best dagger in the game. Save up your money, though. It's 148 GP.

*double take* 148GP!!! o_o :wideeyed:

Gee thanks… Will have to start saving immediately.. x_x

Not saying it makes better sense or not, but there is a difference in that, the more slots of the same type you have, the better the bonus. Like, if you have chest and legs chainmail you get a bonus you don't get if they are chainmail and scalemail even if their stats are exactly the same (you'll see a green buff icon when you have a good match)

That's only if they're the exact same: i.e. Dwarven armor, Dwarven boots, etc.

I do think that's a nice feature, but I still don't understand how you can find a pair of Leather boots, Cured leather boots, and Rough leather boots, that all have the same stats.

Rivianwitch -

Thorn of the Dead Gods, for all it's ominous title isnt all that good, youve probably got better. I scored it at Lothering, for 2.50g from the vendor in the tavern. Has a nice little +2 damage & +2 to armor penetration, but as you can see next to a regular dagger (w/ enchanted bonus) the base stats are the same. Good for my lv7 dual-wielder tho (my dmg is now 13.5/13.5). Looks cool, and has some interesting lore… and no, i havent really died MORe since i started using it ='.'=

Attachments

• thorn.jpg
    thorn.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 89
  • thorn01.jpg
    thorn01.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 88
  • thorn02.jpg
    thorn02.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 86
Interesting.. -thanks Samhain and Elkston.. Samhain, what is that rippled blade…-it really looks awesomely mean… (both your weapons do, actually.)

Both my level 10 dual-wielder's blades are enchanted, with runestones I found in the gameworld. :cool: Just a while back, I found a dagger made from red steel, which has 2 slots for runes. :cool: :cool:

the curvy "kris" style blade is the Thorn of Dead Gods dagger, the other one is just the regular enchanted one. I have to keep an eye out for slotted equipment, so far Ive only come across a longsword and that went to Alistair

Well, my blades are icy and electric, I tell ya! :D

Attachments

• Electricblue.JPG
    Electricblue.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom