What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

TB might be a little above that age group, not sure!!! I have a complete collection of Disney which my kids loved growing up.

Well, thought it couldn't get after "The Guardian," but I was wrong. I watched "Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny..." I'm not sure why Jack Black is producing such movies really. I really liked the things he made at the beginning of his career, but lately is just doing crappy movies. "Nacho Libre" was already quite on the edge... when I watched it I really had to drink a lot to find it funny. But "Tenacious D" - I'm not quite sure what drugs it needs to laugh about that one. Honestly, maybe if I were younger... I dunno. Two fat people acting in a very stupid way is just not enough to make me laugh really.
Anyway, one of the very few movies that I did not watch to the end - simply because I was extremly bored... and drunk.

Any other parental guidance on Terabithia? Bueller? Bueller?

OK for 6 and 9 year old girls, or would it be too much for them?

OK for 6 and 9 year old girls, or would it be too much for them?

I have to chime in here with a very important comment, since you are concerned if it is appropriate for 6 to 9 year olds...

If you know the book you know what happens... and it truly upset my 9 year old boy... who did not expect it. It was quite traumatic to him. I had not read the book so I didn't know to expect it, but it has caused me to become extremely careful about the movies I take my kids to (I will do more research before a movie intended for children now).

I'm not going to put the event here since it's a spoiler... pm me if you want to know in case you haven't read the book.

My 2 cents.

9 years old might be kind of young, more so probably for boys. i read it in elementary school though can't recall the grade and it was one of the most memorable books of my childhood. the traumatic event actually played, and i imagine for other too, a 'positive' effect on my personality. i've even written poetry in the more recent years that is heavily inspired and makes reference to the book. also i saw the tv movie of it in class after reading the book and that may have helped my memory of it as well. plus i think i had a crush on annete o'toole...
i've seen a clip of the books author praising the movie, but if the new disney version retains the 'darkness' of the book and tv movie version it certainly doesn't do those people going to watch it much warning by the trailers, but i guess since its the kids dragging the parents to the theatres these days your trailer options are limited. still i plan on watching it when it comes to dvd, a rarity since i never watch children movies as i have yet to produce offspring.

We had my younger son's 9th birthday at a 'dinner theater' showing Terabithia, and the kids (15 between 7 and 10) were all fine. My 9 year old is very sensitive and came and sat on my lap when he knew that certain scene was impending, but I think it bothered me more than him :)

Important thing - the trailer makes it look like a 'Narnia clone'. It isn't. Reading the book will take an adult a couple of hours, and took each of my kids about the same time. It is worth reading, regardless. We made sure we communicated to all of the parents what would be happening in the movie so they could prepare the kids if necessary.

I don't think they are too young, but it is more about their perception and acceptance of emotional scenes in movies, when sad things happen.

dug this poem up but couldn't find the more recent one ~2004.
this one was written in feb of 02. while the book/movie has played muse to much of my writing, this poem makes nearly direct reference to it.

Remember

Some days the rain slicks more than the streets.
With drenched hair, and dripping wet socks, I
struggle to find warmth. Howling wind and its
passenger waterbeads find my cloaked face. Now
I know you won't remember this, but that just
makes it all the more real for me. It was so
long ago, but I still remember those woods, the
cold, and the warmth I found in your wet eyes,
the ones that looked like you were running from
something, or someone. Just like me. Anyway
that's where the water goes when it rains. Down
throught the gratings, into the creeks, filling up
the well in my heart where the water sloshes over
the brim, slicking the streets, and drawing
reflections back to you--this is why I never hate
the rain--I cherish it.

Haven't read the book, but it sounds like I'd better take a pass on this one. As Mike said, the commercials had me thinking it was a Narnia clone. The Wild Dogs get upset pretty easily and feed off each other to make it worse, so it probably wouldn't go too well. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I would recommend checking out this review from Andrew Bub (who runs GamerDad) - it is pretty good and touches on things from a family perspective.

I would recommend checking out this review from Andrew Bub (who runs GamerDad) - it is pretty good and touches on things from a family perspective.

I think that Mr. Bub hits on it pretty well when he notes that it is important that your child is ready for the drama of this film. Even though it is recommended for children 9 and over, I think you really need to know what's going to happen in this film so that you can assess whether your child is ready for it emotionally.

And keep in mind that this film (although it contains elements of fantasy) is fairly reality based... meaning that the children have real lives in the real world, and therefore are perceived as being more real than characters from a strictly fantasy movie.

Example: My son can watch all the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings movies without a flinch. The fighting doesn't bother him, seeing people and creatures hurt and killed doesn't bother him. This is because he goes into it knowing that these films are pure fantasy. But the characters in Terabithia are normal kids and therefore my son identified with them as real people. Even though he is 9 years old (the recommended minimum age) he was not ready for the realistic drama that would unfold in this movie. And since I didn't do my reasearch before going (I too was fooled [by the TV advertisements] into thinking it would be a Narnia type movie) I was unable to prepare him for it.

Caught a 'kiddie' movie on TV last night, it's a 'modern' remake of Cinderella in a fantasy setting. It's called Ella Enchanted and stars Anne Hathaway (of Princess Diaries). Quite entertaining and funny and most suitable for the Young Pups!!

Caught a 'kiddie' movie on TV last night, it's a 'modern' remake of Cinderella in a fantasy setting. It's called Ella Enchanted and stars Anne Hathaway (of Princess Diaries). Quite entertaining and funny and most suitable for the Young Pups!!

That is wonderful - my boys protested, but were thoroughly engaged the whole time!

Cinderella? :lol:

Are those wonderful Czech fairy tale movies available in English? This one is excellent, for example.

I thought I'd post here rather than in the "favorite movie" thread.

Re: Metropolis
There's also an Anime called Metropolis (trailer), which incorporates several elements from the silent movie, particularly the style (like Blade Runner), but is in fact a pretty good film in its own right. Recommended, especially if you like the theme.

And I need to see the original Metropolis.

Just seen Babel. Disappointing movie to say the least. There are no doubt nice actors in this movie, but the story is just not good enough in my opinion. The intention of the author remains a mystery really - at least to me. It's on the edge of being one of those pseudo-intellectual movies of which everyone says that it is a "great movie," but no one can really say why.

Back
Top Bottom