Will you play a game that restricts you to playing the opposite gender?

• Yes

Votes: 112 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 14.5%

• Total voters
I can easily read a book and be captured to a degree where I temporarily forget about my immediate surrounding and imagine being a part of the environment described in it. This is immersion for me - I realise the term can mean anything or nothing at all partly due to game advertisement - and as you say, magerette, the avatar of an RPG is not necessarily important in this respect, much less its visual appearance (tabletop gaming would be nonexistant if visual splendor would be paramount).

What I was really wondering was whether some people play an RPG purely for the enjoyment of "acting a role", and not for their own immersion into a different environment. I can see how this could be fun, too, in particular if you are playing with your friends.

The avatar isn't really important to me, I'll happily play a woman. However, I do get annoyed having to play as an oversexed bimbo ala Tomb Raider. Not because I'm offended for the female gender but because I hate that crass attempt to manipulate me by my hormones. Just as I hate how every MMO box has a "fiercely determined young woman in skimpy armor" babe on the front. I hate being marketed to like that.

As for the role playing issue, I am always roleplaying myself. HOWEVER, I am roleplaying different versions of myself. Who hasn't gone to a Star Wars movie and imagined themselves as a Jedi? Or Bond? Or Indiana Jones? Heck, even as an anti-hero? Those people aren't who we are in real life, but more idealised versions of ourselves in various contexts.

The main reason I don't often play evil in RPGs is because I can't play "evil Naked Ninja". All I can play is some 2D caricature of a bully or a homicidal maniac. It just doesn't interest me. Where is the option to play normal people whose character flaws lead them down destructive paths? Take the movie The Prestige, both magicians were men whose obsession led them to hurt other people. I can emphathise with both of the main characters, even if some of their decisions were selfish or hurtful. I could see myself role-playing either of those men. Pity no RPG has given me the choice.

None YET that is, hehe. ;)

Welcome to the board, Naked Ninja. :)

Naked Ninja said:
Not because I'm offended for the female gender but because I hate that crass attempt to manipulate me by my hormones.
That's sort of the same thing, just from a guys respective, no? I would enjoy TR much more if she wasn't intentionally over breasted. Not they offend me, only they made her like that as an intentional manipulation and they refuse to change it even after a majority of fans have complain about this exact point.
But, yeah your right it seems like every publisher does this nonsense.

i completely disagree with you guys on lara croft. sure sometimes the sexy card is overused but at least in the original tombraiders she was far more 'hardcore' than any other female gaming heroine. i think its unfair to paint any woman who comes across as sexy as being a bimbo or a slut. to me its the difference between picard and kirk in star trek. picard has just as much sex appeal as kirk but he's a much more cerebral character. lara croft in my opinion is one of the most cerebral heroines that has come out. sure there's some that far surpass her in that category but fan's fave like bastilla in kotor or dawn star in jade empire despite their strengths and talent are still 'weak' and need the 'stronger' sex to save them...

just because their clothes are more reserved hardley makes them better characters.

curiously undead said:
she was far more 'hardcore' than any other female gaming heroine
It's not really a matter of challenging here personality, intelligence, sexyness, humor or charm at least nothing I mentioned, only the fact that they made her over breasted intentionally to manipulate and exploit her appearance. As an example NONE of the models or Jolie (on screen) come close to her manipulated form, they even padded Jolie in the movies, it clearly isn't representative even of an average women, sure the Hell not an Athlete. :)

What a dissapoint meant I thought this thread was about Avatar from Ultima having sex :p

Lara's larger-than-life in all ways, she's sort of a super-woman. It's part of the character, she's a larger than life kick ass dame with a larger than life killer body, you know. She could probably bludgeon you to death with her rack. Dont get caught up in being so pc that you become a she-man, you'll start sounding like one of those femme males who consider anything that isnt totally pansy to be redneck and barbaric.

And it obviously doesnt bother "the majority" of fans either or the games wouldnt be so successful.

As for the role playing issue, I am always roleplaying myself. HOWEVER, I am roleplaying different versions of myself. Who hasn't gone to a Star Wars movie and imagined themselves as a Jedi? Or Bond? Or Indiana Jones? Heck, even as an anti-hero? Those people aren't who we are in real life, but more idealised versions of ourselves in various contexts.

This is pretty much how I look at it. I seldom role play a character totally different then myself (although I know that can be a good learning experience). I tend to play myself in different context and usually a more idealized version of myself - the person I would like to be - a hero, an expert at something, or just a guy out having an adventure. The closest I get to playing something very different is if I toy with some darker aspects - like a more brutal fighter - although never evil as I simply don't enjoy it.

As for gender in the game ... I am the odd one out (as I can see in the polls). Since I prefer to play as myself I pretty much play male only. I tried a few times to play as a women and just didn't enjoy. So why play a game if you are not enjoying it?

I also tend to play more sandbox style games, or at least RPG's with that minimal amount of choice, so have never really played any game where my sex was limited. Even in Mass Effect you at least have that much choice.

I roleplay myself in most cases, which usually means a neutral good type of character. Every now and then I like to try out the "evil path" in games that support moral choices and consequences, and since I'm already not playing me I generally tend to make it a woman as well, so I get to try out two new "paths" at once.

Also, I find it easier to be evil if my main character is female, as I can just relate to ex-girlfriends. :D

I prefer playing female characters, yet i have to shave twice a day I'm so manly. I dont get it

I have may to shave every other day. So I've chosen not to do it the last 35 years.

pibbur who. when seeing pictures of him back then, must admit he may have been somewhat over-condfident regarding his beard growing powers. And who perhaps should have taken the hint when people started asking him if he planned on growing a beard 3 weeks into the process, but he's happy that he didn't. And who now is not allowed to shave by his children due to an unfortunate episode during their childhood.

And who has played both female and male characters. And who is a male on the real life server.

I'd definitely *prefer* playing female characters...and I usually gravitate toward games that allow me to play as a member of my own sex/gender. I'll play a game with male-only roles but those games don't interest me nearly as long...

That's why games with open character creation (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout) are so nice. Not only can you be whatever gender you prefer playing as...you can also be your ideal. :) I think no matter who you are, choice is a selling point in games for me.

Back
Top Bottom