Dark Souls II - Two More Videos

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
As Lemonhead said in the last news-bit the hype is strong with this one. I have two more videos today for Dark Souls II. The first video is an unboxing of the Collector's Edition.

Check out this unboxing reveal video of the Dark Souls II Collector's Edition showcasing the exclusive perks and items included in this special edition release.
The second video is about the Making of Dark Souls II from IGN.

See how Darks Souls 2 devs refined the core Dark Souls experience, from designing a new setting to rebuilding the game engine.
More information.

Is it just me or does Takasuke Ando suggest that the game has been made with the next gen consoles in mind? :S

Hmm, I wonder if we could possibly hope that the PC version was indeed the main platform this time around (as is often suggested but I have not seen confirmed) and things are scaled down (resources, models, Loding etc) for the old consoles.

It would make a lot of sense i.e. if they plan to release on next-gen… (they would have more than half the job done possibly)

But ofcourse we really can't tell and the only indication could be how much better the initial reveal video looked in comparison to every piece of PS3 footage released lately…

Still, who can tell with these guys… I won't even bother crossing my fingers here (and its not really that important. But I would appreciate visual consistency and lack of glitches at least) :)

P.S: Actually caved and watched this and it looks a bit sharper than the average vid you could find around the net. Can't watch it on a big screen right now though...

Last edited:
I'm not hyped. Still can't remember what is dark souls about (and I'm positive ppl already told me a few times on this forum why I shouldn't buy that game) thus couldn't care less for the sequel. :D

If only I could remember. Wait a few mins, I'll find out then edit the post.

[EDIT]
Found one post, read JonNik's answer:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061239471#post1061239471

But there were definetly earlier posts - ppl know I can't stand such games so they just tell me don't buy as it's something I couldn't possibly like. On top of it, I can't believe when someone says that a filler plagued game is a masterpiece nor I can understand excitment over such stuff.
It's like being excited over banging your head on the wall.

Well, if you're an expert player, you can play the game without one single respawn. Things will only respawn if you die.

Expert player?
What's that?
Somoene who loves endless respawns perhaps?

I'm a player who wants an ingame mechanics that stop endless respawns - if they exist in a game. For example if something is constantly coming from a tunnel, you can use explosives to shut the entrance. Or you can mix a poison that kills anything that comes out of there. Or you can install a "tower defense" systems in front of the spawning entrance.

Just not being forced to waste your time on crap because devs have no ideas so they have to put the filler content to avoid complaints on a game being too short.

By your description, this game is PUNISHING a player. Sorry, I'm not a masochist and will certainly never pay for such game design. Unless, of course, someone comes up with norespawn mod. But again, it's basically devs' who decided their target audience are players who want to get punished and not players who want to be rewarded - there is no line "respawns yes/no" in options.

Last edited:
Well, I think it is your mistake if you don't at least try.

It is probably the most rewarding game you can play, it also punishes you for dying.. but what game doesn't in any way do that?.... There are a lot of ways to avoid the respawnin when dying, like opening a short-cut kicking down a ladder, destroying a wall, teleporting... well you name it.. so many ways are there.

I was half way joking with joxer but I really do not think he will enjoy DS.

Then again I was almost 100% sure I would not either and would probably not have bought it if it wasn't for that 75% sale and would have certainly not have stuck with it if the DSfix and DSmfix mods were not available and mature by then…. And now I am a rabid Fan, so take that as you may ;)

joxer - There is a thread detailing some of our experiences opinions and hints for the game. If you will indeed give it a shot at some point go through that one if you don't mind the spoilers or ask there (i.e for help setting the mods up) and the local fanboy/girl community will happily oblige ;) Oh, the thread

Yes, seen already that too many pages long "I'm hooked" thread. Sorry but just can't be arsed to read all those pages on endless respawns and how to avoid them since you can't stop those permanently. I did buy Stalker on sale though, apparently also a game with endless respawns where you can't stop 'em from incoming but have to avoid them. Still I haven't played it so dunno how it works there or will I like it at all.

While I don't care for gameplay spoilers and usually forget some do so I unintentionally don't use tags while writing on those, I wouldn't want to see story spoilers. If there is a story to enjoy at all in a grinder game.

What is DSfix and DSmfix and where is that -75% sale?

I bought the game at 75% off at a steam Sale. The mods allow you to select rendering resolutions and other Graphic effects (that the Devs failed to implement for the PC version. But that is a discussion you will have to find someone else to do ;) ) and also improved Mouse and keyboard support (the default sucks).

Avoiding to die at all in this game, :lol: that would be a feat. I do quite decent at it but I died quite a few times in my run #2 (although almost exclusively at 3-4 bosses and it was a small fraction of the times I did in #1). Maybe by run #4 ;)

This is not a grinder game. You only grind if that is the only way you can see, or hope to see you through. it is pretty much unnecessary and it becomes even more obvious the second time you play the game (I did less than 1 hour on my first 70+ hour run and I did it to farm some objects and get used at the control. It was completely not messing with the experience but rather fun at that point)

In DS II there will supposedly be a way to stop the respawns.

I have to say that I came to enjoy the way respawning was done in Dark Souls; I hate respawning in general and I was very surprised that someone made it work so it's not infuriating; actually, it's frequently just fun, due to the amazing melee system.

I played the two stress tests of DS II on a PS3 and I have to say that while the game looks sharper at times, the overall graphics level was roughly on the same level as DS. It's possible that opponent models have a few more polygons and some textures are definitely better, but there's no big jump in graphical quality.

Exactly my experience concerning the respawns. I usually do not like them but they fit this design like a glove.

I you read the design book interview you will realize that this game is a mesh of classic Japanese gaming that the devs loved in their youth with a western RPG and that explains a lot of the design (I believe Sakichop caught the connection on a another news thread)…

in #2 certain or all enemies will spawn only a number of times (15 is one number floating around). They want to step on the excessive ocd grinders that may make the game too easy (or perhaps mess with pvp balance).

Of more interest are objects you can burn at bonfires to make enemies harder (and I guess to drop more souls). I like that, although it may be for the endgame mostly? will see…

Yea, well… I don't have dark souls listed on Steam at all.
On the other hand I can buy it for 20€ on GMG or GG. Or for 10€ on go2arena where also the same -50% off is offered for DS2 preorder.
If someone can confirm what Elwro says that in DS2 there is a possibility to stop respawns, I will preorder it.

pvp? If that game is MMO, count me out.

I played the two stress tests of DS II on a PS3 and I have to say that while the game looks sharper at times, the overall graphics level was roughly on the same level as DS. It's possible that opponent models have a few more polygons and some textures are definitely better, but there's no big jump in graphical quality.

Have you seen the reveal video ?

I can vouch that this looks quite a bit better than my Dsfixed/Downsampled install. Especially the "Dragon mansion" (6:00+). Also the Fortress with the rope bridge and the Dragons looks a lot better that the latest footage on that one. Also the lighting and shadows themselves look like quite a bit of improvement.

How do the reveal footage compares with your experience ? I can see in the good beta vids that they do not indeed look too impressive but the reveal footage was rumored to be on PC…

Video? I don't watch videos generally as I don't care for graphics much and vids tend sometimes to be storyspoilers.

Okay went to metacritic and most of complaints are "bad port" for which I know there's a hack to fix, or something like that.

But this one looks like he's answering on my questions:
http://www.metacritic.com/user/ChrisPD
Reading the critical reviews of this game you're led to believe that you're in for a challenging and rewarding game experience. However the only real challenge in this title comes from resisting the urge to turn it off when you're forced to repeat the journey to the 'Bosses' for the 20th time, wading through constantly respawning enemies that just stand there until being activated. That's the challenge. Not the ingenious game design or the (non existent) AI. Avoiding mistakes because you've repetitively completed this very journey 20 times before. Killing the exact same enemy exactly the same way for an hour.
Sorry, but now I won't buy that game ever.
As I've said. Do not put me filler content just because you have no ideas and just because players could say it's a too short game.

As for DS2, if, and only if, they cut out the respawns, I'll buy it. If not, they'll have to stick with existing fanbase.

Wow, you guys fed the troll.

Joxer has no intentions of playing DS, this is the second time he's post in a dark souls thread that he doesn't know what it is. Yes he does, he's just trying to get a response.

It's a great game that's far too complex for him to get. He should stay 24363836343637 miles away from this game, there's no way he'll like it.

Being that he will never ever like the game there's no reason to post in the threads about it.

Don't know what it is, who cares?

Wow, you guys fed the troll.

Joxer has no intentions of playing DS, this is the second time he's post in a dark souls thread that he doesn't know what it is. Yes he does, he's just trying to get a response.

I think that was rather obvious ;)

So what was that classic japanese game you were saying the other day that reminded you of DS ?

I think that was rather obvious ;)

So what was that classic japanese game you were saying the other day that reminded you of DS ?

The only game I can think of comparing it to was megaman.

Only in difficulty otherwise they are very different games but they both are pretty difficult regular fights then extremely difficult boss fights. ( until you learn there patterns)

It's not really a negative as I thought the megaman games were pretty good but I haven't played one in years.

DS obviously more complex with shortcuts and non linear areas instead of levels, but the difficulty definitely parallels megaman. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom