Drakensang - Dev Diary #10 @ Drakensang.info

Roque

I guess you can't argue against the following:
The implementation of the TDE rules in Drakensang is the more realistic approach compared to the implementation in classic P&P.

But maybe you can stress your point again, I've had difficulties understanding it. Try to keep it short and less emotional, that'd be great.

Oh and "Turn" and "Round" are both "Runde" in German, so it's pure coincidence that the translator translated "Kampfrunde" = Combat Round and "Spielrunde "Game turn". But if you insist I might ask him, since he is a lecturer at my university.

Roque

I guess you can't argue against the following:
The implementation of the TDE rules in Drakensang is the more realistic approach compared to the implementation in classic P&P.

But maybe you can stress your point again, I've had difficulties understanding it. Try to keep it short and less emotional, that'd be great.

Oh and "Turn" and "Round" are both "Runde" in German, so it's pure coincidence that the translator translated "Kampfrunde" = Combat Round and "Spielrunde "Game turn". But if you insist I might ask him, since he is a lecturer at my university.

Sure I can argue against that. If I, or you, were to engage in combat, we would only be in control of ourselves. And the possibilities for our actions are endless. For instance, in a real sword fight I might have the higher initiative, but I'd wait for my enemy to attack first so I can void his attack while attacking him, making it much harder for him to parry or evade my attack.

Rpgs, and TDE, generally boil this down to a much simpler and less realistc system of attacking and defending in order not to slow combat down and have 8 billion different rules for the 8 million different situations possible in combat. Also, a system with 8 billion rules would highly advantage anyone who knew the system well, and since the character is supposed to be a master swordsman and the player skill in the game shouldn't be anyways a significantly influencing factor in combat.

If you are interested in a rule system that tries and provide a lot of realism and real combat options, you should chewck out The Riddle of Steel.http://www.theriddleofsteel.net/

So, in a RT party-controlled game I would have either have only control over one member of my party for it to be more realistic, since having to make decisions for multiple people in RT is very unrealistic and is in fact impossible in a realistic sense.

And the goal of TDE and Drakensang is not to provide realistic combat, or else there wouldn't be a hit-point system and the alternate and optional (and not even provided in Drakensang) wound system would be used only. If they were going for realistic, one dagger stab would have the potential to be fatal to everyone equally.

And if then we have this quote

To convert pen & paper rules to PC is always difficult and we tried to find a compromise between an easy handling and converting as many pen & paper rules as possible. The reason why we want to convert the original rules is simple: It is an completely balanced system that works and we want do interfere as little as possible.

Does that say anything about them wanting to make combat more realistic? And why just combat? Why not make everything more realistic? Why not remove elves and dwarves and magic? Why not have one arrow shot take people out of combat? Why not include broken bones and amputated arms and legs? Why not have wounds take months to heal? We not add only TB combat so I can clearly make every decision for every character with clarity?

Why are they going to add hordes of enemies just waiting around for the party to stumble upon every 10 feet? Why won't the next group of enemies 10 feet away not come and help the current group I'm fighting when in reality they would hear and see their buddies are being staughtered?

Why? Because they didn't make combat RT for realism. They made combat RT as a business desicion. The correct business decision to sell more copies from what we know about the sales of BG2 vs ToEE, and inline with their goal to make a "BG in 3d." It has nothing to do with realism, and everything to do with marketing data and trends.

Ask away. He could've called it Fliiperflapperfluppernine and what I said still holds true. In my explanation just remplace round and turn with whatever the system calls the rounds and turns in that system. What the round or turn is labelled and what boils down to what is generally called a round and turn in a rpg system is interchabglable in my example. It doesn't matter what it is called, it matters what it is and does.

Last edited:
Roqua, TOEE is a special thing because the word was spread that it was bug-infested. I totally believe that this influenced the sales somehow.

Also, you must keep in mind that BG came to a time when the RPG genre was said to be more or less "dead" (mostly by editors).

Roqua, TOEE is a special thing because the word was spread that it was bug-infested. I totally believe that this influenced the sales somehow.

Yes, but you also must consider people have very poor taste. To relate this to music, we would like classical orchestra, everyone else likes to hear cats scratch chalkboards and while cavemen bang rocks together and fart.

Yes, but you also must consider people have very poor taste. To relate this to music, we would like classical orchestra, everyone else likes to hear cats scratch chalkboards and while cavemen bang rocks together and fart.

This is basically what I believe about the current available PC games as well.

And some big companies take this as an excuse not to make classical music at all. Anymore.

So sad, so true... this could be sig-material - unfortunately...

Back
Top Bottom