King Arthur - Review @ Gamepex

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamepex takes a rather sour look at King Arthur, the role-playing strategy hybrid title from Neocore, despite a score of 70%, not liking the writing and lack of cutscenes in the rpg elements and seeming most impressed with the graphics.
Here's a snip:
Now, I did mention a BioWare-esque RPG setup. This is prevalent throughout the game, and it’s kind of neat. Taking up certain quests (like say, remagicking the famed sword Excalibur, for instance) requires you to lead a Knight and his army to the quest, then go through the dialogue pages. What disappoints me is that there are no cutscenes or voice acting to accompany these RPG moments, but that is just indie gaming and not a big deal. But the way the RPG segments are written really pull you out of the game, and these RPG moments lose their effect. I’ll give an example below:

“A kitten is stuck in a tree. It says to you – “Rescue me, Sir Bo, and I shall give you hairballs of greatest wonder!”

That stuff is fine, but the replies are really what take you out of the game:

“I tell the kitten to run away from my fury. I am too dangerous a knight.
OR
“I tell the kitten that I understand, and I save him from the tree.”

Now this might have been a choice by the devs to create a tabletop-like setup on your PC, which explains the general slowness of the combat and the difficulty of the AI. But the point of tabletop gaming is to play it on your tabletop with other human beings.
Computer/console gaming is a bit of a different animal. Tabletop replies (although bringing great joy to the tabletop gamer set) cannot really fit into a game that is supposed to immerse you into this world of Knights, swords, and lusty Arthurian wenches. It actually has an adverse effect in this usage. A good example of the correct usage of tabletop gaming in a console/PC game is Mass Effect, or even Final Fantasy Tactics.
More information.

Hmm… Methinks this guy is talking out his butt. That whole snipit made no sense.

I would rate the game at 75% out of 100%. With a few tweaks fixed this could easily climb to 90%. I'm not disappointed with the purchase. I would expect this game to be released as a box version someday, and then It'll get on radar.... Speaking of which, the thumbnail used for the game looks like a DVD box cover. Where was that from? As far as I know there is nothing on the game's website to suggest a box version in the works.

I haven't seen anything about a hard copy release yet either, but I was able to pick up the box art at another review site, Jabberwocky. (Here, actually, where they gave the game a decent review. Didn't have time this morning to post the whole thing.) Hopefully if there's box art, a box is forthcoming at some point.

I kind of got the same feeling about this Gamepex review that you did—especially when the reviewer went nuts over the graphics for three paragraphs. Pretty much every review I've read from people who sound serious has cited some problems in parts of the fighting mechanic, but overall been more positive.

Keiron is actually fairly reasonable, I have done stuff for AceGamez in the past and he actually plays games before reviewing. Unbelievable, I know ... ;)

Yep—the Acegamez review seemed very credible to me. The one Jabs and I were semi-panning is by a guy named Tim at Gamepex.

Edit: I went ahead and posted it as a newsbit.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, the thumbnail used for the game looks like a DVD box cover. Where was that from? As far as I know there is nothing on the game's website to suggest a box version in the works.

They did the same thing with 'A Farewell to Dragons', making me think there was going to be a retail release.

Back
Top Bottom