Eschalon: Book 1 - Interview @ WithinGames

Dhruin

SasqWatch
WithinGames has a nice interview with Thomas Riegsecker from Basilisk Games on their indie title, Eschalon: Book 1. Here's an early snip:
The gameworld seems to be very traditional and full of archetypes. What do you think makes it more interesting than other games?
Good question. I`m sure some gamers may be turned off by our approach to making an RPG. Rather than reinvent the genre, we are attempting to replicate the feel of a classic RPG. Essentially, what we are trying to do is the equivalent of restoring a vintage car rather than design a shiny new vehicle from the ground up. This effort may not appeal to every gamer, the same way that vintage cars don`t appeal to all automobile enthusiasts.
A couple of new screens accompany the article or you can check them out here. Thanks Thomas!
More information.

That was a good interview. I can't wait for part 2 and a party, and I'm glad to see indie games have imported characters ala QfG and Wizardry.

Good interview indeed, but not sure I understood the TB deal in combat. Is it like the old Might and Magic games where everybody took a step after you took one and then they waited, with baited breath, for your next step, or does it go continuous at one time ?

I think like you describe, or at least that is how I read it. Same with EoB if I remember correctly. I was a little confused when he asked how old school rpger's would take this type of TB, glad I'm not the only one.

Sounds a bit liked phased combat to me, but I wait in gleeful expectation!!

I agree with Corwin--sounds phased. It sounded to me like the game "stopping" as he described was more of an engine-driven pause feature.

When you say phases I can't help but think of a true phase system like the option in Wiz8.

I think it's gonna be something like Wiz8 but without changing in combat mode manually. The turns/phases are processed permanently (in realtime). If you see/sense an enemy normally you just stop and stare ; - ) So since no processing is done when there's no user input it's like the whole game world is in a waiting status. So you have the fast-paced possibilities of realtime combat without the need to act as quick as possible (just stop doing anything and think about it twice ; -). I think it could be an interesting type of combat. A mixture of Wiz8 and Baldur's Gate comes in mind... But yes, a true roundbased combat would also be nice.

I asked Basilisk for some clarification over at their forum. They're usually very responsive, so perhaps we can get an official ruling on what he meant.

What does it all mean? ;)

Copied from the Basilisk forums, posted by the folks that know...
Hmm- well certainly it's not some radical new invention that is going to change RPGs as we know them. We are just taking advantage of the fact that there is only ONE character on-screen (not an entire party) so we can process the player's input faster.

I read on RPGCodex that someone said it sounds like a Roguelike game. I've only played a couple of those (years ago) but I do think maybe it does feel something like that.

Basically, since the player has only one character on screen to manage, we do not have to parse one-by-one through every character in a party. Because of this, we can streamline the process so that you can just tell your character "perform this action", then the computer instantly decides how each enemy on-screen will respond, then the animation cycle for that round plays out so you can see the results. It's really just kind of a real-time system that is segmented into turns, so you can get that kind of flow when you just want to hack away at something and allow the turns to flow quickly...but you can also stop what your doing, analyze the situation and make tactile decisions (if that is your play style). Remember- nothing happens until you take a step, fire an arrow, or drink a potion. When you do that, the computer decides what the rest of the game world will do in reaction to your input. Actually, the game remains in this pseudo-paused state most of the time waiting for your input.

The problem is that for Book II we will have to go back to a more traditional turn-based system because this system does not work if you have to issue commands to multiple party members. This system is really just a by-product of only having one on-screen character to deal with.

It actually sounds like classic turn-based to me. You can make it appear realtime by having a fast computer and an itchy trigger finger, but in the end you do something, the monsters do something, you do something, the monsters do something. You do nothing, and the monsters wait until you do. Replace "monsters" with "world" and it still applies.

Classic turnbased sounds perfectly fine to me. I'm still excited about this game.

Back
Top Bottom