Demonicon - Teaser Trailer

Setting seems darker and "grittier" than Drakensang.

FYI I don't know anything about The Dark Eye other than the Drakensang games.

Demonicon plays in a darker part of the world.

Darker? Alrik is going to flip out.

Trailers always show big battlefields and yet we never get to play a part of those battles in CRPGs. Except for Mount and Blade maybe but that's a different beast. Would love it if a developer could actually pull that off in a sandbox game and still be a story focused game and not a simulation like M&B.

Darker? Alrik is going to flip out.

Yes. :biggrin: And that's why I'll most likely won't buy it.

The setting is that of the Black Lands - recently renamed into Shadow Lands - where Borbarad's Minions reign. And these are demon-summoners, summoners of undeads, yes, even undead ones and demons who "live" on their own ! (In TDE, most forms of undead ones are possessed by a demon who kind of used the skeleton framework as his "vehicle".

Borbarad is dead since 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean much. Some of his minions are dead nowadays, too, but there still are far too many force-hungry pople dominating the lands, using people for their sacrifices to please Archdemons who in turn give them huge powers.

The demo of Demonicon I played on the RPC brought in the element of the banned "Blood Magic". Borbarad, of only the Marked Ones and very, very few people knew he was a half-god with Hesinde, the Goddess of Knowledge as his mother, was holding the opinion that *all* people should be able to ue magic, even those who lack the natural resource to use magic : The thing that's clled in the rule set "astral energy". His brother Rohal wanted to prevent him from forcing through his opinion.
Using magic without astral energy is possible only with two ways

- banned "blood magic", in which you use your very own life energy to use magic
- a pact with a certain Archdemon, who in turn grants the possibility to use a certain kind of demonic magic.

Power-hungry people use these ways in the Black Lands since then, if they ddon't have Astral Energy.

The Black Lands are literally infested with demons and with undeads and ith unholy magic and with unholy things in general. The Black Lands is not a nice place to live in.

The game will be very, *very* bloody. It reminded me of Dragon Age in this respect.

Is this going to be again group / turns combat ?
It looks interesting .

No. real-time combat, much like an action game.

I don't quite understand whether it will allow co-op gameplay or not. You do have a companion, though.

I got more information about the game from Alrik's "rant" than I did from the trailer. :/

Thanks!

They already have my money. Can't wait to play it.

Trailers always show big battlefields and yet we never get to play a part of those battles in CRPGs. Except for Mount and Blade maybe but that's a different beast. Would love it if a developer could actually pull that off in a sandbox game and still be a story focused game and not a simulation like M&B.

I thought the battles for Whiterun and Winterhold were pretty huge. You end up fighting tons of Soldiers in those battles. Skyrim made it large enough to feel like a real battle. I also liked the battle in The Witcher 2, though Gelding is forced to a linear path in that one.

The battle is either the freeing of Warunk, the recently freed town (now under a kind of Twelvegods church of Rondra protectorate), where the story takes place (or at least its beginning),
or the huge, enormous Third Demonbattle, which imho should look far, far, far more enomous than this tiny skirmish (compared to the Third Demonbattle).

If you pay close attention, then you see a round thing there, flying through the video, with splinters of it hitting several parts of the map.

This might be a hint towards Borbard's "Demon Crown", which he perhaps was never wearing (the Wiki says he did, I thought otherwise before), which each of its splinters (the Dmoncrown entirely consists of them) representing a close connection and a kind of gift" by nine, I think, archdemons.
This infernal crown was destroyed during the Third Demonbattle, and each one of Borbard's major minions carried away one of these infamous splinters. They grant *huge* powers by the appropriate archdemons !

Now, several of his major minions are dead now (among them the undead dragon Rhazzazor, in short called "Rhazzi" by TDE fans and Xeraan, the money-hungry one), but these splinters cannot be easily destroyed. By oridinary means, they are indestructible. Since then secondary and tertiary minions took them.

So, they still are there, and are corrupting the lnd.

If you can get a google translation, I can recommend these articles from the main (yet semi-official) Wiki :

Borbrad, he is called an "Alveranier", which means he is a god or a half-god, of the banned knowledge : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Borbarad

The Third Demonvbattle : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Dritte_Dämonenschlacht

The Demon Crown : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Dämonenkrone

The Black Lands : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Schwarze_Lande

The Heptarchs, Borbarad's major minions, each of them possessing a sinle splinter : http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Heptarch

Helme Haffax is a kind of tragic figure among them : He was once the Mittelrealm's far greatest general & strategist, but gave in into a demon pact because he felt he was not honoured enough by the Middelrealm's rulers, most people believe.

You can also look into the Drakensang sub-forums. I have posted some more about the background there !

ARPG can mean different things. I'm looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay..

As I mentioned above, I played the demo a bit.

It is very much like action combat, but this early part of the demo I played this year on the RPC it did contain not much of it. There was lots of dialogs, though. Kind of an introduction.

The demo - and I really assume that this will be an or the introduction within the game - took place deeply inside of the Newtmountain, a mountain beneath (?) Waruink, filled with lots and lots and lots of caverns and corridors. It said it was for a long time of the infamous Pher Drodont, an evil magician of some sorts. He did evil experiments there, one dialog entry said.

I could not find a single thing reminding me of Drakensang. I mean regarding stats and talents. Not this complexity. Not at all. Everything was reduced to an minimum, at least this was my subjective impression. I don't remember much anymore, unfortunately.

There already have been gameplay videos. I'm sure you will finde some on Youtube. My first impression of these gameplay videos was: Wow, a new Devil May Cry / God of War clone. Heavy action combat and your beaten opponents leave you some shiny globes to collect.

The motion capturing of the trailer isn't really impressing.

I think it is still an RPG, but I can't really judge since I know not very much about it.
But since we cover Blizzard, we could as well cover this game as well, I think.
A demo and/or a visit to the Games Com could shed more light on this question, imho.

Back
Top Bottom