RPGWatch Feature: Path of Exile - A Preview for Solo RPGers

Dhruin

SasqWatch
VoxClamant looks at Grinding Gears' intriguing online 2D hack'n'slasher Path of Exile from the perspective of a solo player and finds much to like. Producer Chris Wilson also provides additional insight. A snip:
The standard label for PoE is "top-down RPG, single player (not party-based), client-based (4 GB download), hack-and-slash." Path of Exile is designed to be equally accessible and playable for solo play, or for groups. It is ironic that most reviewers will inevitably compare PoE to Diablo 3. Yet my $60 (USD) copy of D3 lies idle and bored on my hard drive (a dumbed-down, linear, boring rehash of old ideas in a glitzy new box), while this new free game would be worth every bit of the premium prices charged by the recent releases in RPGs.
Read it all here.
More information.

thanks for the long post

appreciate it. Hopefully it will convince some buggers to drop a penny

Very nice preview of what appears to be very nice game.I am also very intrigued by currency system and looking forward to see how it works in practice.Any release date for open beta?

I'm in the beta and while I like it a lot, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind skill gems. My barbarian can only do a jump attack because he placed a gem inside a...belt? If build flexibility is the reason, Titan Quest already did that by cross-class skills. It's a minor thing, but not seeing an active skill tree in game (the only tree is for passives) does keep me from planning ahead. Still, a lot to like in this game, the F2P thing being only a (major) bonus.

trust me, the passive skill tree is enough of motivation.
the actives you sjut switch alot depending on the path you take for your passives (as the skills depend on stats gained from passive tree)

That reads like an ad. It was often hyperbolic, several things were flat out wrong, and it was very badly written. Apparently making the fireball spell do more damage as you level up is an 'excellent design idea'. The ability to turn off general chat is apparently evidence that the designers are committed to... something or other. You can leave general chat in every MMO I've ever played. Instances and the ability to solo are apparently 'breaking new ground'.

Seriously, how did this garbage get published here?

I don't post here very often. But I had to drop in and say this:

What is wrong with you people bashing this as an Ad?

I think it is a very good preview. Having played both PoE and D3 (with 4 lvl 60 toons). I agree with the author on all accounts (except for PvP which I didn't test in PoE).

That reads like an ad. It was often hyperbolic, several things were flat out wrong, and it was very badly written. Apparently making the fireball spell do more damage as you level up is an 'excellent design idea'. The ability to turn off general chat is apparently evidence that the designers are committed to… something or other. You can leave general chat in every MMO I've ever played. Instances and the ability to solo are apparently 'breaking new ground'.

Seriously, how did this garbage get published here?

No wonder rpgcodex is ridiculing this preview (with good reasons). The guy makes the game look like the best thing after sliced bread. I hate that so much. Why can't people be impartial?

yeah this preview is complete fanboism.
having played poe for many many hours my first impression was along the lines of this preview. later it becomes clear that there is no real difference between the classes except for their starting position in the passive skill tree.
outdoor randomization is OK *at best*. roads,rivers and such are quite crude.
another thing that is a bit annoying is the camera angle, which is so steep you practically cant see the gear you are wearing.

and however innovative the skill system seems at first, it kind of kills the item game, since the only thing that matters at high level is max number of sockets with the right links and color, item stats become very secondary..

the game has potential, but has A LONG way to go before beta exit.

the game gets better and better. Trust me, the devs answer my every mail, if you have an issue, you just raise it and they'll think about it.

I have no doubt this game will blow everything in its path, although I think it does already :)

I have no complaints for the design, the other things will come in time, like transparency, more effects and UI update. I'd say pretty soon, as open beta should be around the corner. They didn't mention any delay yet.

the game is REALLY that good. get it through your head :)

I think it's more fair to say that the review is "fanboism" then to say that it's an ad. As others have pointed out, the reviewer doesn't seem to have much experience with online games, and as a result he praises many standard features as being new and revolutionary. But I never got the feeling that he was writing an ad for the company.

Ignoring the poor quality of the review itself though, some parts of the game do still sound interesting. I may check out some (better) reviews once it goes into full release.

I am kind of wondering at the bashers here? This is a free game less your download cost, even if the preview was some sort of a ad in disguise why the vitriol?
It can't be worse than Diablo 3 when you figure in the price tag of D3.
Do the D3 fanboys feel threatened by PoE?
I may not play it because my connection is poor but the idea looks interesting and I hope they have success with it.

Since I understood that this was a forum member preview, I wasn't expecting impartiality or professional journalism. This was a preview by an enthusiast, which is different that one coming from somebody who does tons of previews. I don't believe that RPGWatch should only accept "professional" previews. There is definitely room for member previews also. Perhaps Dhruin could have been more clear that it was from a "non-professional", but he does something else for a living too, outside of bringing us cRPG news goodness. I'm thankful for everyone's involvement. I would do a member preview, but I'm kinda cynical so it wouldn't turn out well :D

As far as PoE itself, I'd say that there isn't enough out there for me to decide. Gameplay videos will help quite a bit in this regard.

No wonder rpgcodex is ridiculing this preview (with good reasons). The guy makes the game look like the best thing after sliced bread. I hate that so much. Why can't people be impartial?

You'd rather an article without opinion? Here's one for you that you can substitute for every game article for the future:

"If you like <genre x> and particularly <feature y>, you will like this game. If you prefer <genre z>, you might want to stay away or or wait for a sale."

I'm not going to respond to "ad" comments.

Ah, the dreaded examine your zipper review ;)

The game is good and has potential to be great ! I purchased a boxed copy and cant wait for more content. The only thing that worries me is that its to good to be free almost giving us to much with out spending a penny. I want them to continue to support and add more content . I hope ARPG fans get from Paths what they feel D3 lacks. The more people continue to play the more they will support .

Back
Top Bottom