The Witcher 2 - Previews @ Joystiq, Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Joystiq has a preview of The Witcher 2 called "Cause and effect", as they describe a quest sequence about disappearing men:
Like the first game, The Witcher 2 leaves much of its storytelling to be unraveled by the most investigative of players. Once I picked up the quest, an entry was added to the game's "journal" (written as if the story of Geralt was being told from the future) that said the solution to the problem would prove to be "a poet." Had I not combed through the journal entry, I wouldn't have been privy to this clue (there was no dialog to prompt me, for example). While the clue is easily missed and unnecessary to complete the quest (at least, for the most simple resolution), it was one instance in which I became aware of a deeper layer to the gameworld. Curious players who dig into the story of The Witcher will be rewarded.
...and Eurogamer also played the same quest:
Non-linearity continues to be the driving force behind development of this sequel. A heavily-modified Aurora Engine has been eschewed in favour of a brand new, in-house proprietary system. This has allowed the team to take more hands-on control over balancing, the development of non-linear quests and debugging.
The side-quest we're presented with is a case in point. After discovering the gruesome remains of one victim, deep within the stone ruins of the Vergen catacombs, a detailed examination reveals something embedded within the festering corpse.
At this point in the game Geralt lacks the necessary tools for extraction. So it's a tantalising example of the piñata approach to quest development: a box of delights, filled with unfinished business for the determined explorer.
More information.

Probably my most anticipated game right now. I just hope my aging system can still handle it, the Gfx look almost a bit too good in that respect.

It seems they've responded in accordance with my tastes to pretty much all criticism of the first game - and as such I have a feeling this could be truly great.

I'm curious to see if they can really make a strong combat system, coupled with a meaningful character development system.

If they manage that, and stick to the strengths of the previous game - whilst getting rid of the crappy stuff - we might just have the miracle we've been waiting for on our hands :)

No, not an actual miracle.

But what would seem like a miracle: A truly deep and meaningful AAA roleplaying game.

A CDPR dev told the press that TW2 is made with consoles in mind , given that the consoles are ancient im sure that your rig will have no problem.

I think they meant the engine, menus and controls, not necessarily the graphics and textures and such. I can tell you right now the textures in the screenshots are not going to work on 512MB of total RAM.

That said I am sure there will be low settings that will work on older computers, same as any PC-focused game.

Witcher 2. Not sure if want.

I think they meant the engine, menus and controls, not necessarily the graphics and textures and such. I can tell you right now the textures in the screenshots are not going to work on 512MB of total RAM.

That said I am sure there will be low settings that will work on older computers, same as any PC-focused game.
The Witcher 1 is still the game the performed the less well on my current computer, at least some parts of Witcher 1 but not all parts. All more recent A RPG performed quite better, so I don't have good anticipation on TW2 for this point and I have always been ready to have to change my computer to play TW2.

But well if I'm wrong, and if TW2 isn't full of bugs at release (TW1 was ok for me), then that will be perfect because I won't have to wait too much before to be able play it.

The Witcher 1 is still the game the performed the less well on my current computer, at least some parts of Witcher 1 but not all parts. All more recent A RPG performed quite better, so I don't have good anticipation on TW2 for this point and I have always been ready to have to change my computer to play TW2.

But well if I'm wrong, and if TW2 isn't full of bugs at release (TW1 was ok for me), then that will be perfect because I won't have to wait too much before to be able play it.

Yeah, I kind of expect it to be buggy on release. There is so much coming out in May I might even wait for a patch or two before I play it.

As for The Witcher 1 I have a GTX 480 and quad processor and that sucker still has performance issues in some areas. It's just badly optimized and trying to do too much on an old engine. Thank God they changed tech for The Witcher 2.

Yep, certain areas in The Witcher were very demanding. On my old system, I had to lower the graphics detail in parts of Old Vizima and the swamp area.

What CD Projekt did with the Aurora Engine was pretty amazing though. The Witcher looked a lot better than any other game that was made with it.

Back
Top Bottom