Piranha Bytes - Working on New Project

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Piranha Bytes is working on a new project according to a forum post on the worldofplayers website. It's in German but Hiddenx sent a small translation.

PB is working on a new project that has nothing to do with Risen or Gothic

Source: Michael Hoge of PB.

Translation:

Mattias Filler drew my attention to this thread. There seem to be some more of them, so here's a short statement for all that are interested:

1.) I (Michael Hoge) was not involved in the development of Risen 3.

2.) Indeed, I locked myself in for two years to work on a new concept (not Gothic). We are already developing a prototype of this concept with a small core team since the beginning of this month.

3.) Before someones asks: I can't give any informations yet. We need some time with everything (...) but those who are interested in this topic, will not have to wait long for more information.
More information.

So the next PB project is much closer than we all thought.

Telling info so early could mean they are going for a crowdfunding project.
-> post of Moriendor

So the next PB project is much closer than we all thought.
Hopefully it's not a fantasy setting as I recall some developers say they were tired of making the same games over,and over again every few years.

Maybe they can get back some of that lost magic this time. Time will tell as they say, and thank you for the links HiddenX.:thumbsup:

I am playing Risen 3 and loving it. 6 hours yesterday. They still have that magic mojo for world creation.

I am playing Risen 3 and loving it. 6 hours yesterday. They still have that magic mojo for world creation.
Not to me they haven't while I enjoyed both Risen 2, and Risen 3 they both are their weakest offerings to date. Like I said above I read they are tired of the setting.

I'm glad they are trying something new, and it looks to be a new kickstarter game. That's two pulses in my book, and I can't wait to see what they announce eventually.

Not to me they haven't while I enjoyed both Risen 2, and Risen 3 they both are their weakest offerings to date. Like I said above I read they are tired of the setting.

Gothic 3 was their weakest offering if you ask me. People seem to have forgotten that the game was almost unplayable the way PB left it. Thankfully, the fan community was eventually able to make a decent game out of it.

Gothic 3 was their weakest offering if you ask me. People seem to have forgotten that the game was almost unplayable the way PB left it. Thankfully, the fan community was eventually able to make a decent game out of it.
I haven't forgotten JDR I just had more fun with Gothic three that's all. I'm also glad that their next game looks like it wont have a publisher dictating anything.

So it's their time to shine as publishers like the defunct Jowood, or Deep Silver wont have a say in development in the crowd-funded game. So fingers crossed.:fingerscrossed:

G3 had much higher immersion than any Risen had. Not that he deserved it, he jsut inherited it.

But yeah CP, fuck fantasy, once and for all. This year we overdosed on fantasy. it needs to change

PKDick would approve

PKDick would approve

A little off-topic here but I say we definitely need some games based off Philip K. Dick's books. The authors novels were made into some of the best Sc-fi movies.

They include Blade Runner, Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report, Paycheck, Next, Screamers, The Adjustment Bureau, and Impostor.

I'm hoping for something similar to Gothic / Dark Souls, even though there are many fantasy games it's still what i'm craving for the most.. Its probably because i'm a big fan of exploration, a fantasy setting, as i see it, is perfect for that type of gameplay.
Edit: wouldnt mind steampunk either.

Speaking of G3 its seems like we will get another Gothic 3 CP update soon;

"Some news for German & English Community. We are preparing to release a new version of Gothic 3 v1.75 Update Pack. It will contain about 30 new dll-fixes and -features. "

:fingerscrossed: Hoping for an online tank game... :fingerscrossed:

:fingerscrossed: Hoping for an online tank game… :fingerscrossed:
Those are fighting words you take them back mister.:slap:

Though I can imagine all the tears of betrayal from the loyal fan-base.:cries:
Wait a minute……it already happened damn you to hell Obsidian.:cm:

ha, just noticed the *brofist icon. Nice addition. good one Cpt

So has it been confirmed somewhere that Mike Hoge is still at PB? As I wrote in my post that HiddenX linked to, there is no indication from Mike Hoge that he is still working at or for or with PB.
It could very well be that this is a project of his own and a new company he is yet to reveal. Or it might as well be a new PB project that he created in the background while they were doing Risen 3. No one knows (yet).

The only definitely PB-related info (also in my linked post) is that Björn Pankratz said in an interview months ago already that 1) Risen 3 is the conclusion of the Risen series and 2) they do have concrete plans for what comes after Risen 3 and 3) they have no current plans to revive Gothic, all of which logically translates to: They have already been working on a new project before Risen 3 was finished (business as usual, they always do it like that because they can't afford any idle times) and it is neither another Risen nor Gothic.

Ooh a completely new project/concept from PB. That's enough to get me all tingly. I just hope it's actually a proper RPG and not some funky card game or tank game or whatever else RPG developers have been doing lately.

Does that mean that Risen 3 was just an afterthought and money grab and they did not put the best people on it? Moreover, does that mean that they will not be supporting Risen 3 anymore (with patches, balance fixes, improvements .. etc.)?

Hope is a open world game like Gothic/Risen and a steampunk one will be interesting (or a sci-fi, don't know a open world one without being pos-apocalyptic...)

What, no giant killer mosquitos and a farmer standing 50 feet away telling you how terrified he is of it? No ability to carry 300+ shovels? No one named Diego?

IMMERSION. Unpossible.

Back
Top Bottom