Giana Sisters are back!

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
My favourite C64 game is back. And Spellbound is officially cool now.

dtp entertainment press release for December 09th, 2008

Retro fun from the 80’s: The Great Giana Sisters return – Jump’n’Run debut on Nintendo DS™

Hamburg, December 09th, 2008 – It was a little bit more than 20 years ago when a game was born that still is a synonym for a whole gaming genre: The Great Giana Sisters made Jump’n’Run gaming available for home computer users all over the world. In 2009, the blondes finally return – and with that, they make it all the way to Nintendo DS for the first time.

Back in the late 1980’s, there was literally no chance to play Jump’n’Run games on home computers like Commodore 64, Amiga or Atari ST. Until 1987, when a small German development team released The Great Giana Sisters.

Their father, Armin Gessert, let them become stars of the genre over night. The Great Giana Sisters was a Jump’n’Run that had everything home computer gamers back then only could experience on video game consoles: A fantastic game world on many different levels, that challenged the players’ hand eye coordination skills to their maximum to jump over deep canyons, collect bonuses and succeed when fighting enemies just by jumping on their back.

Now, The Great Giana Sisters are finally back! Publisher dtp entertainment and developer Spellbound Entertainment in co-operation with Bitfield are going to release their new adventure on Nintendo DS in June 2009.

In more than 80 levels, players experience all the great features of the original home computer version, as well as new features, that are kept exclusive for Nintendo DS. Players will have the Nintendo DS microphone as well as the touchpad, for instance.

The Great Giana Sisters’ graphics on Nintendo DS both is a redesign as well as reminiscent of the classic game.

The music score of the game is a remix by Fabian del Priore of the original soundtrack, written by famous computer game composer Chris Hülsbeck.

dtp entertainment is going to release The Great Giana Sisters DS for Nintendo DS in June 2009.

NINTENDO DS IS A TRADEMARK OF NINTENDO.

The last sentence is quite important because back in the day the game had to be pulled off the shelves after Nintendo had sued the publisher because they considered it a plagiat of you know what game. Now it seems the game has already been greenlit.

First screenshots

I played the original giana sisters quite extensively on C64 tape. I still remember parts of the first levels (unforgettable experience?).

Last edited:
First, as I saw the headline, I got quite excited.

FINALLY a decent Jump & Run game for the PC ???

The drop was *very* deep. Only for consoles !!! I thought (Okay, handhelds in this case.)

I'm disappointed, because Jump & Run is the only genre that has *really* died out on the PC during the last years.

The heavy irony in this case is, that graphics for handhelds are more or less exactly the same kind of graphics used for PC games during the 90s ...

Oh, the irony... Giana Sisters was actually pulled because of Nintendo due to it's extreme similarity to Super Mario Bros, and here it is, for a Nintendo console! :)
Legally, Giana Sisters isn't back, as they never existed.

If you want to see what the DS version looks like, here's a video on youtube. Pretty neat graphics update but the "punk" giana could be a bit more hardcore, I do not know what she looks like atm.

But PC users can also check out Giana's Return (with a kickass soundtrack if you ask me). official website.

Or... you could check out Giana Worlds, another remake. Official Website.

A friend of mine had this for his c64.. Looked fun, but was no match for Super Mario Bros. I never could have imagined to see a day when giana would return..not to mention for Nintendo's own console =)

I still prefer Giana Sisters over Super Mario Brothers.

I remember playing them both and the level design was pretty much identical if memory serves, down to what kind of power ups pop etc.

I still have this game for the C64, great game I had a lot of fun with it. But it was indeed a copy of mario!

Oh, I like both Mario Brothers and Giana Sisters, so - huzzah!

Well, it is ^_^.

I read about it only yesterday. Must somehow missed or forgotten it. Okay, 2008 is "a long time ago" for me now … ;)

I do hope they'll be able to release it in an boxed form, too …
My hopes are only small, though.

(with a kickass soundtrack if you ask me)

The Amiga version had a kick ass soundtrack for sure.

If I recall correctly he actually made his own kinda "mod" files to get extra sound channels.

Don't remember who it was though... *does a bit of research*

Chris Huelsbeck? He did Turrican2 music! That one was awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvha_2hAzq0

All I remember is David Whittaker cos he did almost every Amiga game. :D

Who remembers this classic tune? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMMtye7Ou4Q

I could listen to that one all day. xD

I think he has released his music on CDs already.

I read about it only yesterday. Must somehow missed or forgotten it. Okay, 2008 is "a long time ago" for me now … ;)

Trust me, as you age, years pass by faster and faster. Eventually 2008 will be like yesterday.

pibbur who tends to exaggerate and who observes that unless he breaks the verified oldest living men world record, he's past half-life.

I do hope they'll be able to release it in an boxed form, too …
My hopes are only small, though.
This was all over the news the last couple of weeks. They even did a Kickstarter, for whatever reason.

You can vote for Giana at Steam Greenlight.

I had been away for a week in early August, and the following week I was totally occupied by the Games Com.

Chris Huelsbeck? He did Turrican2 music! That one was awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvha_2hAzq0

Turrican 2 is my favorite soundtrack of all time, one of few I can spend a day listening to and still not get tired and it only gets better. The only remix I ever liked was made by Dreamtime and I like it because it's almost an identical copy of the original. :D

http://www.remix64.com/act/dreamtime

Who remembers this classic tune? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMMtye7Ou4Q
I could listen to that one all day. xD

I listen to a lot of Amiga music still, remixes and regular, this included. :)

Back
Top Bottom