Final Fantasy VII - Now Available on Steam

FF7 was easily my favorite Final Fantasy. I *really* liked the story! YEAH YEAH! Take that big corporation!! Damn stra… wait, eco terrorist? Lots of people hurt!? Ummm… ooops. Cloud has a lot of angst but he comes by it honestly instead of just being the vague teen-angst you see so much in JRPGs.

It's got the best use of mini-games, too. Instead of being used as some mechanic forced on you over and over again, they appear ONCE to provide a break from the typical action. Then, if you want to do them some more, you can go to the big arcade and play them there for prizes.

Joxer - the spawns are those "X% chance per step you take" kind. If you are careful and never tread over the same pixel twice, you'll technically have NO respawns! ;)

I believe this game does require you to use their online save system, though. Can't say I like that much.

I actually liked FFVIII the best, followed by XII which is a masterpiece, especially the way they solved it so that random encounters were gone (Yes Joxer, if you want to try one it should be XII). Enemies only respawn when you leave and re-enter an area, and since you're aware of that you only do it on purpose to farm… I actually have my PS2 lying around at home somewhere, perhaps I should give number 12 a replay, haven't played it since it came out.

FFVII was…ok to me, but never great. VIII had much better graphics, and to me much more compelling characters. Cloud is an ass, and since I'm such a great guy I don't like playing asses. Except for in Disgaea, but that's another thing….

I got persuaded but FF12 is not available on PC:
http://www.finalfantasyxii.com/

Why am I not surprised, the label is Square Enix. Creators of the most disappointing anime-to-game ever.

Well, their loss. And to me more money to spend on KS projects.

As mentioned elsewhere FFXII can be emulated on the PC though you do need bios which requires specific software to get it off your PS2 should you have one. While this is too much work for many, it does work and reasonably painless and as mentioned previously give advantages like being able to fast forward through slow events to just to play the game at 1.5x speed.

Last time I tried FFXII on PCSX2 it was it was not a pleasant experience so I suspect you need a reasonably current graphics card or perhaps the developers have made headway in optimizing it. But I agree with other posters that FFXII was most western CRPG-like in the series and one of my favorites. And perhaps its time for me to see if it works again.

560 GTX should cover it, but I don't have the console BIOS.
And I'm not buying a console for it. I'll patiently wait till, if ever, PC port gets done.
In the meantime...

As I've said, Square Enix from a certain great setting they own made 3 utter fail games, for consoles ofc. Now tell me, if I suggest to Obsidian to get a license and make a proper RPG for a certain steampunk yet in many ways bizzare world, would they take the challenge?

Quick news bit - Square just updated FF7 so it has the original PS1 music instead of the not-so-loved original PC MIDI music.

I believe this game does require you to use their online save system, though. Can't say I like that much.
I wrote that back when I was young and foolish. I've been playing the game and I've been putting my saves on my PC. In fact, I think you have to actually turn on "cloud saves."

Well, for this particular game I think Cloud saves will rules. Saves without Cloud would be kind of pointless.

The music update might be a reason for me to buy this again ( I already have the original ) Music is just superb, only FF6 has better music. And maybe PS:T is almost on par.

The music update might be a reason for me to buy this again ( I already have the original ) Music is just superb, only FF6 has better music. And maybe PS:T is almost on par.

Have you ever played Chrono Trigger? Imo that game had the best music of the 16 bit era. FF6 had a great soundtrack as well, though I found it a bit depressing.

Yes Chronot trigger is up the top of my list too, but I still believe it cannot compete with FF6 music for me, that is just the best.

Back
Top Bottom