Skyrim - "Game Jam" Video

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Once Skyrim was finished, Bethsoft let the team spend a week working on anything they wanted and put it in the game - a creative process they call Game Jam. A video showing some off their ideas has been released, possibly hinting at future DLC or at least providing inspiration to the community.
Seasonal foliage, stealth enhancements such as water arrows, dungeon enhancements like hanging structures, new follower commands, spell combining, mounted combat, dragon mounts, kinect shouts, snow footprints, a lycanthropy perk tree and more were all jammed.
Thanks Holly Avenger and KapitanUnterhosen!
More information.

Wow there's a lot of really impressive stuff in that video.

I hope comments here are more sensible than "this should have been in the game from the start, *ss****s".

The advantage the designers had was that they didn't need to consider alot of things, no dealing with PS3 or X360 feasability or not having to keep it running within Vanilla Recommended specs or not having to do extensive bugfinding/fixing.

The Nightmare probably starts when they try to really implement it for release and it breaks a different thing. That said, I have no doubt some are easy to implement. But those things are probably the same things some modder is working on already.

The things I find most interesting are those that change some fundamental things which could not be achieved with the Creation Kit.

So awesome :)

I'm drooling for the werewulf and vampire things. Not to mention spell combinations, stealth enchantments, spears and mounted combat, weather seasons and the giant mudcrab :D hehe I can hardly wait the dlcs.

I hope comments here are more sensible than "this should have been in the game from the start, *ss****s".

Yes why doesnt developers just add a limitless amount of features into to their game?

I mean..

1) It makes the game better because more features are good. Makes the game fun to play. More fun!

2) They should have thought of this from the begining but they did not. They are dumb, i am smart because i figured this out by myself in just 50 seconds.

Click "like" if you like!!!

Duhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yes i absolutely love those comments..

I think my Kinect shout worked on that mudcrab and I don't have the hardware!

Some of the things shown in the video have already been modded. Although, why, why, why is some of that stuff not planned before making the game. The dungeons stuff was really nice, so where the seasons ans stealth enhancement. Oh and the spells combos!

Snow footprints! :thumbsup:

The lack of them bothers me every time I play Skyrim...

I would pay 60 bucks more for all those things to be in the game. Forget the next project. Throw some serious development time in to perfecting this game. Seriously, if all the bells and whistles were added and the rough edges smoothed over, that is just worth way more than other games on the market. I am talking about adding this fun stuff and honing more responsive AI and increasing the fun of existing environments. I don't think a game-priced add-on, even without significant quest content, would be unreasonable.

I know you can say modders may add some of this, but a full development crew can do this stuff better.

I think it's cool they did that. I would much rather have an expansion that branches out and tries new things then just add more story.

Mounted combat cool:) Hanging structures and running water in dungeons, cool.

Yeah, what are you waiting for Bethesda? Get to work!

:lol: the ending…

Oh, and I don't just want all the companion and dungeon related stuff, I demand it >:O

Spears too... ;)

I'd say about half of that is something I'd want, but I'm actually not very impressed. If they had total freedom to come up with anything, I'd say that's rather weak - but then again, I'm much more into game mechanics than "awesome/epic" stuff.

But the water arrows and stuff like that would be really neat. I'd love a significant stealth overhaul - as so much of it is highly flawed. Also, I'd love a much expanded crafting aspect.

Being able to build your own house sounds great, though.

Given the limitations placed on them, I'd say it's rather impressive.

Oh.. and spears should definitely have been in the game.

I'm not talking about "impressive" in terms of the work involved, but "impressive" in terms of how the things in question would enhance the game from a game design standpoint.

Obviously, that's down to personal taste. To me, ~half of those things are "neat" to look at or "cool" - but they wouldn't really make the game better for me. At least, not compared to some alternatives that wouldn't even take much work.

Such things wouldn't look cool in a promotional video though (well, I'd be very impressed with some significant design changes - but most wouldn't), so I can hardly blame them.

But it's no big deal. Modders will likely give me what I want, and I'm glad Bethesda have recognised the value of the PC platform again - and I'll most likely get all DLC regardless.

I'd say about half of that is something I'd want, but I'm actually not very impressed. If they had total freedom to come up with anything, I'd say that's rather weak - but then again, I'm much more into game mechanics than "awesome/epic" stuff.

But the water arrows and stuff like that would be really neat. I'd love a significant stealth overhaul - as so much of it is highly flawed. Also, I'd love a much expanded crafting aspect.

Being able to build your own house sounds great, though.

They only had one week, and they had to actually have something to show in that one week as well. You act as if they were given a month or even a year; if that were the case, then the results might be "weak" ;).

Considering that this was done just for fun, it's pretty cool what some of them came up with. In terms of humor/completely out of left field ideas, the giant mudcrab was pretty fantastic. I wonder what my reaction would have been in-game if that was actually in there somewhere and I came across it for the first time without hearing about it first :)

Back
Top Bottom