Final Fantasy VIII - Now Available on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Steam announces that the classic JRPG Final Fantasy VIII is now available for purchase.

Now Available on Steam - FINAL FANTASY VIII

It is a time of war. Galbadia, a Global Superpower, has declared war on Dollet, a country whose training academy is home to two personalities: the hot-headed Seifer and the 'lone wolf', Squall Leonhart. Both are equally at conflict with each other as their country is with Galbadia; to others, Squall appears lacking in team spirit, while Seifer lacks the discipline of his rival. However, a chance encounter with the free-spirited Rinoa Heartilly turns Squall's universe upside down; having thrived on discipline, Squall find the carefree Rinoa fascinating. He also begins to dream that he is Laguna Loire, a Galbadian army soldier…

Meanwhile, a sorceress manipulates the most powerful men in Galbadia. Will Squall and his party succeed in defeating this maniacal sorceress and saving their world?What part does the mysterious Laguna play? Only you can decide what happens next, as the greatest Role Playing Adventure of all time returns…
More information.

I miss being young when I could play games like this.The grinding combat gameplay is too much now.

I bought it for the PSP on PSN a few years ago ... not really my bag. FF VI is about my limit.

I would like these re-issues much more if Square-Enix actually polished them up a bit before release. At the very least, some new menus/UI, like they tend to do with some of the re-issues on the portables.

I love the music, still listen to the soundtrack on a daily basis at work.

This is one of my personal faves, I maxed the timer out at 200 hours back in the day. :)

Daniel.

Another one of those games that most people either loved or hated. Personally, I didn't really care much for it.

I thought the world and characters were really strange. I didn't mind the pseudo-tech elements that were in some parts of FF VII, but the way they mixed swords and magic with cars and jets in VIII just seemed weird to me.

It was also the first Final Fantasy to feature enemies that scaled to your level, and the combat felt grindier to me than earlier games in the series.

I played this for awhile back in the day. Didn't like it as much as FF7, but I got fairly far in it and spent some hours. I got to a dead end and couldn't figure out where to go, though. I was in some city with a large circular pathway that, as far as I know, just looped around in a big circle. Couldn't figure out where to go and the endless hours spent looking for a path while fighting random battles eventually got to me and I quit.

From what I remember, the story was pretty cool.

Darn ... Charging up the PSP to try this again ... :)

Actually my favourite FF game, with XII in the second place. Might be my rose tinted glasses though, it often is...

I absolutely hated it. I played it for a pretty long time hoping for it to at least try and match FF7's story but it wasn't happening. This game has the worst story I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy game. Actually, in any JPRG. Actually, in any form of entertainment coming out of Japan at all! I would rather watch a cheap Godzilla movie than this horribly padded love story.

Battles were terribly dull as you spend eons pulling magic out of hapless critters.

The opening song, though, was good stuff.

One really odd thing - they released this with the original PC music. They just got done updating FF7 to better music files, why wouldn't they just release the good stuff with this game?

I might give it a try. I tried it a long time ago but quit early on as I felt the random encounter ratio was just too frequent for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom