Worlds of Magic

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Indie developers Wastelands Interactive and Lucid Dreamers are working on a new fantasy turn-based 4X strategy game meant to become a spiritual successor to Steve Barcia’s Master of Magic, called Worlds of Magic.

I mentioned this game earlier this year so the original post should be in the forums. If you love games along the same vein as Age of Wonders and Fallen Enchantress please pledge.
“We hope to make Worlds of Magic something unique but familiar. Something with new mechanics and exciting features that, at the same time, reminds gamers of the good old days.”. ~Wastelands Interactive
The game has been under development for about a year, and now the indie devs turn to Kickstarter seeking funds to complete their title. They already have some pre-alpha screenshots where they show off the tactical combat. Unfortunately there’s no footage showing the main map view as of yet.

Link-http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game

Last edited:
unfortunately, this type of games only show if they're good or not by playing them. It's very easy to call yourself a 'Master of Magic' successor and have lots of bullet points that make you salivate, but the execution is all that matters, more so than in other game types since the AI is probably the most important aspect, and usually the last to be developed.

By the way, I recently started playing Eador: Genesis (came free as part of a preorder of Eador 2), and it's really good, and challenging (playing on difficulty 2 out of like 6 and AI still kicks my ass regularly)

Last edited:
Not too excited by games that use a square grid. But it looks potentially interesting.

Hi

Today we have released some of our progresses on the World Map, a subject which a lot of people have mentioned on those days. That's the thing:

WoM_pre_alpha_map_13_11_04_004.png

WoM_pre_alpha_map_13_11_04_003.png

Yep, we have to keep working on water, but this is progressing a lot! BTW, you can see all the other official updates here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game/posts

In case you didn't hear, there is a very good news for you.
A former Master of Magic characters designer has joined our team.

Now there is no doubt there will be original spirit in our game.

To be honest ? Not quite the style I'm fond of but that doesn't matter to me as the gameplay will be much more important than visual assets.

Well, that's good too :). The style is vintage, and for sure it won't be to everyone's taste, but... as you say, is not the most important aspect of the game.

From a look at those screen shots, it looks like food will be one of the resources you have to manage. Does this mean logistics and lines of supply will be part of the strategy?

I had developed something of a system once for a TBS I never bothered getting past the design doc phase just for that, and it made me realize that few- if any -games implemented logistics into the game's strategy. Meaning you had to manage your population numbers, food production, and keeping troops and civilians fed.

From a look at those screen shots, it looks like food will be one of the resources you have to manage. Does this mean logistics and lines of supply will be part of the strategy?

I had developed something of a system once for a TBS I never bothered getting past the design doc phase just for that, and it made me realize that few- if any -games implemented logistics into the game's strategy. Meaning you had to manage your population numbers, food production, and keeping troops and civilians fed.

Hello Azraelck,

Not exactly. Here, as in MoM, you can't win a city cutting their supply lines. But indeed is an interesting indeed, you can always go to our forums and suggest it there.

Hey there, people! How is it going?

Moving on to another subject, finally we can show progresses on the World Map. Some elements have been added, and of course water has changed a lot since your last visit, lol. Hope you like it.

WOM_pre_alpha_world_2013042301.png

WOM_pre_alpha_world_2013042302.png

WOM_pre_alpha_world_2013042305.png

WOM_pre_alpha_world_2013042306.png

WOM_pre_alpha_world_2013042309.png

96% at the moment!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game

Thanks!

Hello again!

Well, I am incredibly happy to announce that we have reached our base goal, so the minimum funding for development is now guaranteed! That's BIG THANKS to all of you guys. Now we are trying to hit some stretch goals, and make sure that the game will be released with as much content as possible.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game/posts/

Also, I take the occassion to tell you too that Draconian will be the 5th faction for Worlds of Magic, as the community have decided. Here you can find some art from George Purdy, you know, the creative director and former Master of Magic - Master of Orion designer :).

draconian1_colour.png

draconiansculpt6.jpg

draconianfront.jpg

draconianback.jpg

draconian2_colour.png

See you soon,and thanks again!

Not a big deal about the lack of logistics as a factor. I'd suggest considering it for a sequel though.

I'll keep an eye on this, since I love turn based strategy. Congratsvon the funding, and good luck getting it done.

doom, are you planning early access or something?

All the backers will get the access to the beta version if they would like to.
Also we are going to choose some forum members to test the demo based on alpha which we are planning to have released in few weeks.

Sounds like a reasonable plan! Count me in if you'd like another tester. :)

Note: I really would like to test, and am not just offering my time to get an early copy for free...

Back
Top Bottom