Dragon Commander - Review Roundup #4

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well another day goes by and more reviews have been released on sites I have never heard of for Dragon Commander. So without stalling I give you round number four.

PCGMedia - 93/100

We Liked

A large amount of well voiced, well acted and well written dialogue. Political decisions directly affect your battle situation. Units are very balanced, themed well. Dragon skills are varied and offer a new layer of strategy. Politics sometimes hilarious, always insightful.

We Disliked

The campaign can be too unforgiving at the early stages, and you're done for without knowing it for up to 20 turns. It takes a while to spot some of the trickier unit abilities which can completely turn a battle round.
PCGamesN - 8/10

Dragon Commander could have benefited from a greater level of fleshing out, but the whole experience remains highly entertaining from start to finish. Rather than merely being a silly break from Larian’s action RPGs, this is one of the studio’s strongest titles. And let us not forget, it features dragons with jetpacks, and that’s just wonderful.
CramGaming - 8.5/10

There’s a neat balance of gameplay styles which makes Divinity Dragon Commander stand out. If you are an RTS fan, then this is well worth checking out as there’s lots to do and a cool game on offer here that will keep you entertained to the end of days.
Gameranx - 7.5/10

Larian Studios has done some wonderful, charming work on Divinity: Dragon Commander. The political and personal decisions made between generals, diplomats and queens create a web of reactions that are fun to follow. It wasn't difficult to become invested with the personalities and stories of those characters.

It's almost worth recommending the game on that content alone. But that's only one portion of the experience, the other two of which aren't nearly as rewarding. Despite its flaws, this is a direction for the franchise I want to see more of, and I can't wait to get back to championing the rights of naked dwarves and undead artists across Rivellon.
More information.

Last edited:
Well they sure aren't having problems getting people to review the game!

This:
A large amount of well voiced, well acted and well written dialogue.

is absolutely true. The voicecast is absolutely stellar, and a joy to hear. The writing is maybe a bit more "theater" than "realistic" but maybe for that same reason also top-notch. Especially those lizard people even teach me some new words.

Similarly the soundtrack is one of the most memorable in recent years, I think. The piano pieces especially were so surprising to hear in a game, and yet fit so well.

Surprising how good these production value items are, considering Larian is independently funded.

fantastic to hear :)

by the way, I'm guessing a demo isn't available?

fantastic to hear :)

by the way, I'm guessing a demo isn't available?

Not at the moment, but I read several forum posts that they apparently plan to make one - that's hearsay though.

if i was a rich man(la la la) i would buy it now, but I have to wait for a sale or worse, a demo.

Truly sounds fantastic but I just cant seem to get used to RTS in fast mode as the game is described.
Is there going to be a review by rpgWatch?

Truly sounds fantastic but I just cant seem to get used to RTS in fast mode as the game is described.

The RPGWatch review was finished and handed in on the 5th, but maybe it needed editing/checking or something. I've not heard anything other than they've got it.

You can adjust the RTS speed in the options menu (gameplay) or using the minus key on the numpad.

Yes it's going to be a co-op review between two reviewers. One is focusing on the SP and the other the MP.

Last edited:

In addition to slowing down, as Kalniel mentioned, I'd also suggest to play around for a bit on the training ground (Tutorial menu) - I only noticed that feature now, so maybe others missed this as well. Lets you practice producing, grouping, moving, Dragon morphing, etc. against an inactive AI.

Yes it'd going to be a co-op review between two reviewers. One is focusing on the SP and the other the MP.

Can you publish the SP bit now, then MP later as MP will take some time I expect for the player base etc. to build up? The SP portion was on review code which is danger of being out of date as it's an earlier build than retail code I think.

Can you publish the SP bit now, then MP later as MP will take some time I expect for the player base etc. to build up.
I can ask Mythros but it's not up to me.

Update: The full review will be published soon just needs a little editing.;)

Last edited:
Oo they want it longer. Are they mad? (It was already nearly 2000 words). Right then *rubs hands together* :D
I sent you a pm.;) Come to my office lets have a chat.

Dragon Commander is not really a mainstream game, right?

As such getting so many positive reviews is very odd. Is it me, or reviewers changed (their perspective)?

As such getting so many positive reviews is very odd. Is it me, or reviewers changed (their perspective)?

The dragons with jetpacks lure them in and the other qualities keep them there.

Depends what you describe as mainstream really. It's not a shooter certainly :p

Don't really follow why only mainstream games should get positive reviews. If a game is good then anyone in the review business should be able to give it a positive review if they know about it/are sent a review copy. They might not reflect popular *interest* in a game, but a game can be good yet unpopular.

Back
Top Bottom