Risen Risen 2 info

Nothing mentioned about being able to swim and dive eh? :-/

There will be no swimming in Risen 2 according to Deep Silver community rep Daniel "doberlec" Oberlechner (source).
In reply to another question about swimming, diving and climbing in that same post he simply said that the hero will have a similar degree of freedom of action as in the first part so it seems like swimming and diving are out while some rudimentary climbing is in.

There will be no swimming in Risen 2 according to Deep Silver community rep Daniel "doberlec" Oberlechner
That sucks.
Diving and especially swimming not only mean more movement options and freedom for player, but also allow for more diversity in world design.
The absence of these was disappointing in Risen.

That sucks.
Diving and especially swimming not only mean more movement options and freedom for player, but also allow for more diversity in world design.
The absence of these was disappointing in Risen.

Yep, and those things are magnified in Risen 2 by the pirate theme. So you're a pirate who'll be able to use boats to visit different islands, and yet you can't enter the water at all?

I don't see what would have been so hard about it. PB already has prior experience, and it's not like I'd expect to be able to swim everywhere. Just make liberal use of invisible barriers (or a hungry sea monster) like they did in the Gothics.

finally some good news! I can't wait for this game!.
but I have to:(

One thing that bothers me is the guns. Im going to have to adjust to it. Still the game is a must buy for me.

No swimming is definitely a disappointment. It's an added degree of freedom that really adds to the sensation of a freeform experience rich on exploration.

Now if only I could understand what they're saying!! :)

I'm torn on the swimming on one hand it's nice to have but on the other hand it's never really been that important in the games i've played.

I don't see any "in-game" footage in that video. He's just panning the camera around an environment.

I want that framed Gothic 1 poster on the wall that you can see at the start of the video. :)

kinda old :D

Monster1.jpg

The german magazine Gamestar has a 4 page preview of of a playable Version of Risen 2.

here are the new infos and pros and cons:

Facts:
- "hand made" world
- about the size of Gothic 3
- travel between islands via boats (requires loading time)
- special movement skills ("dirty tricks")
- combat system multi-direction with recovery time
- firearms can be improved with special ammunition
- crafting, including improved weapons
- much more clothes and equipments
- ability to disable the "helper" functions, such as quest markers and life bar
- 5 attributes and /- 75 active and passive skills
- players experiencing by themselves will be rewarded with amazing results (?)
- alcohol and women play an important role Cool FaceCool Face

Strengths:
several possibilities of solution
varied combat system
polyvalent equipment options
strong narrative component
more quests with twists

Weaknesses:
- to be seen how the world remains "open" with respect to the structure of the islands
- the identification with the hero may suffer for lack of strict system for factions

Everything, except the island division, sounds great to me.

I have to say, though, that I'm sceptical it's really as big as Gothic 3. I think part of the reason they never finished G3 properly was that it was simply too big to fill with meaningful content.

If they've truly succeeded, I'll be one happy gamer upon release.

Everything, except the island division, sounds great to me.

I have to say, though, that I'm sceptical it's really as big as Gothic 3. I think part of the reason they never finished G3 properly was that it was simply too big to fill with meaningful content.

If they've truly succeeded, I'll be one happy gamer upon release.

The question is the whole map is as big as Gothic 3 (including the water between the islands) or if the explorable area is as big as Gothic3.
Also I don't think that Gothic 3 lacked meaningful contend as much as story structure.

The question is the whole map is as big as Gothic 3 (including the water between the islands) or if the explorable area is as big as Gothic3.
Also I don't think that Gothic 3 lacked meaningful contend as much as story structure.

Story is part of the content - to me ;)

The problem with this part of Gothic 3 was that there were too many uninteresting characters, as they didn't manage to fill the cities with enough unique and intriguing personalities. They did that much better in the first two Gothics.

I also think the game was severely hurt by randomising loot - and I don't think there was enough incentive to explore as a result. Handplaced loot is definitely the way to go, if you want to create the incentive to explore. It's not just about loot, though, and I don't think the Gothics were ever really good at creating interesting dungeons or locations. Cities and landscapes are always fantastic in PB games, but the actual exploration of the nooks and crannies is not as strong as I think it should be. They tend to dump rusty swords and scrolls everywhere, when I think they should do more work to create little "stories" or lost journals - things like that.

Still, in terms of sheer size - I think Gothic 3 is unparalleled given the content they DID manage to cram in there - for the fantasy genre.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are better, but they also have a somewhat easier time, given the samey terrain and building assets.

But, in recent games, I think Fallout 3 is actually THE best game out there for exploration. It's shock full of interesting locations and little bits of unique story here and there.

Back
Top Bottom