Wasteland 2 - Interview @ Ripten

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Brian Fargo has been interviewed at Ripten about Wasteland 2:
MF: Along those lines, you’ve very recently mentioned that if the project hits $2M, there will be some social features. The fan reaction… well, there’s been a lot of confusion around that.
BF: Yeah. Yup. Right before you called I was working on a project update to give that a little more color. I’ve read all that. I think… I already know what they want at $2M. We have forums out there. It’s larger world and more content, more dialog, more audio, more NPC portraits. I’m going to do all that stuff! I… and I shouldn’t have done it… I threw out a fringe idea for discussion, because people keep asking, “what else are going to do?” I was focusing on the “what else.” “Social” is a four-letter word with extra letters. I understand.
People have been burned by a lot of these games that try to be “social.” So, I’m clarifying that. As much as it was like, “Whoa! Slow down, guys! We’re not getting away from this core RPG,” I still prefer this kind of communication. I prefer to know. You might go down a path… in the past, when I made all these other RPGs, I was flying by the seat of my pants, using my instincts as a gamer. Sometimes, you have to be careful. For me, this really helps close the loop, making sure that we’re working on the things that people want. The last thing that we want to do is go work on a feature only to find out that no one wants it. I don’t want to do it either, if no one wants it.
More information.

" “Social” is a four-letter word with extra letters. "

What does he mean by that? Am I being stupid who don't get it?

" “Social” is a four-letter word with extra letters. "

What does he mean by that? Am I being stupid who don't get it?

I'm guessing it's a language thing. The "best" swear words in English have four letters (fuck, shit etc etc). So, he's saying hardcore gamers react to "social" as if it were a swear word...only it has more letters.

Exactly, the four letter words he is referring to (English swear words) are considered taboo or distasteful by many people. The word "social" is considered taboo or distasteful by many gamers.

I just hope they don't start chewing on more than they can swallow (or is that the saying?). Concentrate on the core game, it's what the people that put the money there want. Nothing more. If they get more money than they expected, save it for Wastelands 3, or for customer service, or for extra testers. I cringe when I see devs adding more and more 'fluff', they start flying like Icarus and then the wings melt.

Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 !! http://http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/30/obisidian-to-co-develop-wasteland-2-on-one-condition/

844564-1RAXTWN.gif

Back
Top Bottom