New GW2 preview.. overview

I think there was a comment that this sign up was for the next, at the end of March.

Hi folks, just to confirm, the sign ups last week are for a chance at the next (end of march) and following beta events for #GuildWars2 ~AT

You're seriously comparing 'gated' WoW gear grind to people running dungeons in Guild Wars for cosmetic equipment? No comment.

I don't think he's talking about running dungeons to get cosmetic. Probably more about grinding titles like Vanquishing* or getting all 75k armors, but he forget that in each of the campaign you get to level 20 mid-way of the story and EOTN, War in Kryta and Wind of Change is all max level content. Oh and you can play all the campaign (well at least part of them) with the same character too. So you don't have to do all the grindy stuff if you don't want to unless you are trying to achieve 50 HoM.

*Vanquishing won't exist in GW2 though.

Good luck to us all on getting picked - we'll need it. Perhaps they'll cross-reference emails with GW1 accounts *crossed fingers*

There was an option to say that you played GW1 and learned about GW2 from there, but I don't think GW1 players will have any advantage here. As for "luck getting picked", they need tens of thousands of players to test WvW and load tests the servers. So we have about 2-5% of chance of getting selected.

Eventually they will probably do a last stress test like last time and let everyone in.

This was a great read - especially if you are not familiar with traits and attributes which I wasn't. I am already planning away in my head how I plan on building my Ranger:

Beastmastery: Compassion and Empathy. (all)
Nature Magic: Vitality and Concentration. (all)
Wilderness Survival: Toughness and Malice. (left overs)

http://www.arena.net/blog/play-your-way-jon-peters-on-traits-and-attributes

Some snippets:

Let’s take a look at these new attributes and what they do. We’ve organized these attributes into offense, support, and profession-specific attributes.
Offense

Prowess: Improves the damage multiplier on critical strikes.
Malice: Improves the damage done by conditions like burning, poison, confusion, and bleeding.
Expertise: Improves the duration of all conditions inflicted by the character.

Support

Concentration: Improves the duration of all boons applied by the character.
Compassion: Improves all outgoing heals that your character does, including self heals.

Profession-Specific Attributes

Each profession has a specific attribute that does something unique for each profession.

Brawn (warrior) — Improves the damage of warrior burst skills.
Willpower (guardian) — Decreases the recharge on all virtues.
Cunning (thief) — Decreases the recharge of the Steal ability.
Empathy (ranger) — Improves pet attributes.
Ingenuity (engineer) — Reduces the recharge on all tool-belt skills.
Guile (mesmer) — Reduces the recharge on all Shatter skills.
Intelligence (elementalist) — Reduces the recharge of the four elemental attunements.
Hunger (necromancer) — Increases the size of the necromancer’s life-force pool.

and

The trait lines for each of the professions, as well as the attributes tied to them, are as follows:

Warrior

Strength: Power and Expertise.
Arms: Precision and Malice.
Defense: Toughness and Compassion.
Tactics: Vitality and Concentration.
Discipline: Prowess and Brawn.

Guardian

Zeal: Power and Concentration.
Radiance: Precision and Expertise.
Valor: Toughness and Prowess.
Honor: Vitality and Compassion.
Virtues: Malice and Willpower.

Thief

Deadly Arts: Power and Expertise.
Critical Strikes: Precision and Prowess.
Shadow Arts: Toughness and Compassion.
Acrobatics: Vitality and Concentration.
Trickery: Malice and Cunning.

Ranger

Marksmanship: Power and Expertise.
Skirmishing: Precision and Prowess.
Wilderness Survival: Toughness and Malice.
Nature Magic: Vitality and Concentration.
Beastmastery: Compassion and Empathy.

Engineer

Explosives: Power and Expertise.
Firearms: Precision and Prowess.
Inventions: Toughness and Compassion.
Alchemy: Vitality and Concentration.
Tools: Ingenuity and Malice.

Mesmer

Domination: Power and Expertise.
Dueling: Precision and Prowess.
Chaos: Toughness and Concentration.
Inspiration: Vitality and Compassion.
Illusions: Malice and Guile.

Elementalist

Fire Magic: Power and Expertise.
Air Magic: Precision and Prowess.
Earth Magic: Toughness and Malice.
Water Magic: Vitality and Compassion.
Arcane Power: Concentration and Intelligence.

Necromancer

Spite: Power and Expertise.
Curses: Precision and Malice.
Death Magic: Toughness and Concentration.
Blood Magic: Vitality and Compassion.
Soul Reaping: Prowess and Hunger.

they also have minor and major traits.

I don't think he's talking about running dungeons to get cosmetic. Probably more about grinding titles like Vanquishing* or getting all 75k armors, but he forget that in each of the campaign you get to level 20 mid-way of the story and EOTN, War in Kryta and Wind of Change is all max level content. Oh and you can play all the campaign (well at least part of them) with the same character too. So you don't have to do all the grindy stuff if you don't want to unless you are trying to achieve 50 HoM.

*Vanquishing won't exist in GW2 though.

There was an option to say that you played GW1 and learned about GW2 from there, but I don't think GW1 players will have any advantage here. As for "luck getting picked", they need tens of thousands of players to test WvW and load tests the servers. So we have about 2-5% of chance of getting selected.

I pretty much agree with the above.

I don't want to derail this thread too much as this is about GW2 but my general point was PvE content in GW1 (and other MMOs) was very grindy. Its not grinding for gear but its grinding for something.

After you finished a campaign, what is there for PvE player to do?

This was a great read - especially if you are not familiar with traits and attributes which I wasn't.

It's actually the game 3rd iterations on attributes and traits…

As for building you character, Luna-atra have a character builder. Hopefully they release version 2 with the updated skills and trait system soon.

There is also this GW2Tools page, they released their traits calculator.

After you finished a campaign, what is there for PvE player to do?

You can take a break for a couple of months knowing that you aren't losing any $$ in the process and that your character will still be there once you come back.

Last edited:
If there's one thing that really bugs me it's that there's no secondary profession system. GW1's system allowed for such variety in builds and strategies that it's a shame to take a step back to pre-determined archetypes.

If there's one thing that really bugs me it's that there's no secondary profession system. GW1's system allowed for such variety in builds and strategies that it's a shame to take a step back to pre-determined archetypes.

The professions in GW2 are a lot less focused on a role than in GW1. I don't see the need for a secondary profession here.

You get traits in GW2 (bit like talent points in other games) to customise your character but like azarhal said they are moving away from roles in GW2.

Think the beta is coming, got another email to say thanks for applying and they will be choosing who is in soon. Can't wait.

Announcing Pre-Purchase for Guild Wars 2
March 12, 2012 1:46 PM
Starting April 10, players can secure their Guild Wars 2 Limited Collector's Edition, Digital Edition, or Digital Deluxe copy by pre-purchasing the entire game at buy.guildwars2.com or at select retailers. Players who pre-purchase any edition will have guaranteed entry into all beta weekend events,…

I guess the beta signup weekend was moreso a massively effective marketing campaign :)

I really like the Collector's Edition... but $150?!?

Starting April 10, players can secure their Guild Wars 2 Limited Collector's Edition, Digital Edition, or Digital Deluxe copy by pre-purchasing the entire game at buy.guildwars2.com or at select retailers. Players who pre-purchase any edition will have guaranteed entry into all beta weekend events,…

Any edition or just one of those 3? I wonder how that will work if you order the standard edition. Will you get a code or something? I thought spots were limited in the beta but if you can buy your way in maybe not.
At lest April 10 gives us a starting point for the beta.

Back
Top Bottom