Borderlands - The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned - Preview @ Gamespot

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Gamespot has given their impressions on the DLC for Borderlands. According to them, it adds about 50 new missions and offers about 6 - 10 hours of gameplay. The release for the DLC is still scheduled for November 24th for the PS3 and Xbox 360. Still no word on when the PC version will be released:
This new adventure will take place in Jakob's Cove, which is essentially a spooky forest fully of gnarled trees that are being grown by the Jakob weapons concern for their wood--which apparently enhances the performances of certain weapons. However, it seems like the folks at the Jakob company aren't exactly big on being eco-friendly, nor have they been particularly careful about cultivating the trees. The growth of this forest has, in fact, turned the area into a gloomy swamp, and the maintenance employees have also been slightly affected by the environmental changes, causing all of them to contract a minor case of being-turned-into-mindless-zombies-who-attack-you. Yes, this is going to be a spooky zombie hunt that might have missed the end of October to commemorate Halloween, but it seems to have plenty of holiday spirit, from the hordes of zombies to the dank swamps, to the scenery and bosses (one of the five new bosses is named "Pumpkinhead," and leaves Jack-o-lanterns lying around his territory).
However, there won't be much holiday cheer in this DLC adventure. It'll be much more about stomping zombies, which will rise up out of the ground from out of nowhere, and will generally rush at you, rather than firing weapons from cover. If this sounds tough, we'll tell you that it can be, especially if you're all alone and happen to get surrounded by the DLC's new varieties of zombies, which include not only standard shamblers that simply charge you, but also "defilers," who spit goop at you that obscures your vision and slows you movement, and "tankensteins," which are giant zombies that hurl explosive barrels at you and will also pound the ground to create shockwaves, or simply bum-rush you. A new variety of Borderlands' crow-like rakk, the corpse-eater, will also make its debut here.
More information.

I completed this game a few days ago. For me it's as addicting as Diablo. More so because you actually have to use some FPS skill when playing (yes, I'm talking about the 'twitch' skills ;))

They did a great job combining a FPS game with Diablo. Although, it started to feel rushed towards the end of the game. You don't get to fight the real bad guys nearly enough, imo.

The ending left a lot to be desired. I know the story sucked and I barely paid any attention to it, but they could of at least made the ending worthwhile. Without going into spoilers the closest thing it reminded me of was the last episode of The Sopranoes. I had about the same reaction as I did with The Sopranoes, confused and felt ripped off that they didn't end the story.

I'll still play it again later after Dragon Age. It's exactly like Diablo in that fashion. Now that I've seen the ending, I no longer care about it. I just play to keep advancing my character and take on tougher opponents.

One last thing, a lot of the reviews kept harping on how hard the single-player experience was or how lonely it felt. That is all total BS. I don't know what game they played, but it sure couldn't of been Borderlands. The difficulty is just about right. I died maybe a total of 10 times throughout the whole game and it was exciting all the way through or I wouldn't of played this one more than Dragon Age. As a matter of fact, I couldn't stop playing it even though I wanted to get back to DA. It has that "just one more mission/quest" feel to it that I get when playing Diablo.

Just curious, what character did you play? Also, how long did it take you to finish?

I found playing alone to be pretty hard with a Hunter, but the fact that I wasn't really into it could have been a factor.

I played The Siren and put most of the points into elemental, gun related skills and maxed out her healing while phasewalking (that saved me more than a few times). She has quite a few melee skills, but I prefered to use guns.

Plus I concentrated on, oddly enough, both pistol types and SMG. In her skill she doesn't focus on one or two types of weapon, but instead on elemental damage. Elemental damage is by far more devestating than any normal gun. It took awhile to figure out exactly what the 'X1' to 'X4' meant next to the elemental symbol on the gun, but from what I gathered and read the 'X' doesn't multiply your damage it just makes it more likely for a particular elemental effect to take hold on the enemy. For example: The enemy being lit on fire using a fire elemental gun is more likely to occur if the gun has X4.

For how long it took, well I've been playing both DA and Borderlands so it's hard to guess, but without checking my savegame time I'd say around 20 - 25 hours. Though, I do every side quest and go exploring a lot. Now that I've gone exploring I probably won't do it again. There is no real incentive to do so. Sure they'll have weapon trunks hidden through out the level, but I'll find enough of those just doing the sidequest.

The beginning of the game is tough, but once you get a feel for the game and FINALLY get some powers then it becomes a bit easier. It's still tough, but not insane.

Since you bought it already you should give it another shot when you're bored. If you like FPS games then this one will grow on you after awhile :)

I might give it another chance sometime, but KB: Armored Princess is definitely my top priority after DA. ;)

Only 20-25 hours with full exploration eh? Heh heh, according to Gearbox, it was supposed to be "huge". Well I guess that might not be such a bad thing in this case, I can't imagine wanting to play this style of game much longer than that...

Yea, not exactly the longest game out there, but it definitely is longer than some of the other FPS I've played. With FPS games lately you are lucky if you get a weekend of play out of it.

With Borderlands there is always the option to playthrough 2nd, 3rd etc….I played a few missions on my second playthrough and the enemies scale to your level. I haven't gotten too far into the second play or I'd tell you if they also start having immunities or resistances like in Diablo II on harder difficulties.

Oh, that's another thing that I was miffed about. There is no difficulty selection. Sure the enemies might scale to your level on the second playthrough, but I want to be able to select a harder difficulty. Let's just hope that they get tougher, because at the end I was blowing everything away with either my acid/corrosive revolver or my lightning SMG (lightning for guys with heavy shields and acid/corrosive for everyone else).

I played with a hunter and mostly have had no problem playing the game. Mostly sniping and then using my pistol if enemies get too close.

They all have strengths and weaknesses. I have played much of the game with all 4 classes, and some have a tough time in some situations, and blow through others, and vice versa. If you are having trouble with the hunter, put 5 points into the one that ignores shields, and that should help with about half the mobs you face.

"Dr. Ned" ? Is he a relative to Ed from Maniac Mansion ?

Back
Top Bottom