Avernum: Escape From the Pit - Review @ Impulse Gamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A site called Impulse Gamer has review of Avernum: Escape from the Pit that carries a score of 8/10:
Ah, 90's PC gaming. A golden age of video game development where the only limits were technical in nature, and new shareware releases by budding developers were the advertising lifeblood of the industry. If you feel nostalgic when you read the term "boss key", then you may just be familiar with Spiderweb Software, creator of the "Exile" series. This now classic indie franchise took the PC RPG template of the time and ran with it, allowing players to control multiple party members and customize their growth, exploring a vast underground world with a surprisingly intricate story. Avernum: Escape From the Pit is essentially a remake of the original Exile game of the same name. Escape From the Pit has been given a graphical overhaul, utilizing the isometric view used in the Avernum games released most recently by Spiderweb Software. The remake changes more than just the graphics, however, and the result is a game that is both the same and quite different from the original.
...and let's toss in an audio interview with Jeff Vogel at Core Elements.
More information.

You know I've never played a Jeff Vogel game, is this is a good one to start with or would Avadon: The Black Fortress be a better choice?

Daniel.

You know I've never played a Jeff Vogel game, is this is a good one to start with or would Avadon: The Black Fortress be a better choice?

Daniel.

I played both. This one is for me a better start of the series.
Black fortress is the latest "new" game so.

I wish he'd hurry up and remake A2 and A3…but the word on the Spiderweb forums seems to be that the Avadon sequel will come first.

I've played the original A1-A3 (and the earlier Exile trilogy) but was waiting for Jeff to remake A2 & A3 before playing A4-A6, looks like it could be a couple of years yet.

Back
Top Bottom