[Upcoming] Puzzle Quest

I finished this thing took me awhile. I got up to Level 7. Then I bought a few extra items to improve my character. I also bought the forge, so I could make rune items. Buying the forge unlocks some extra creatures to fight as well as a few runes. These are Level 15-17 creatures so they are hard to win. But, once you figure out how the patterns and spells work in the puzzles it is possible to do this at level 7, but it takes 4-5 tries per creature. There is a lot of strategy involved in the game, in how you use runes and how you block your opponent, more than is apparent in the beginning, at first it seems to be a matching game, then you learn the objective is also to match up your opponents colors so you can take them so they can't get any power and you can cast against them easily. I still haven't figured out the rune puzzle to get a skeleton mount. I may try and build up gold until I can buy the stables so I can get a horse. There are other things as well. The capture puzzle if you buy a dungeon is different from the fighting puzzles. The capture puzzle is much harder. With capture you can use captured creature to give you spells, or turn them into a mount. So there is much more than is obvious. Also finishing the quests can have different results. You can get an item or you can get a companion depending on how you finish the dark hunter quest. This is a very good very challenging puzzle game. There is a lot that isn't obvious. I am sure there will be more in the regular game. The taverns also can unlock things and give you hints.

Actually you get the companion with either option on the Dark Hunter quest.
And the rune quests were very easy for me at level 7 in the demo, I even managed to capture one of the citadels in it, but the other one is quite tougher.
The capture puzzles just take a few tries to figure out, but the few ones in the demo were not that tough. The learn spells from captives puzzles, on the other hand, are somewhat more difficult, and required several tries for me to complete, since I usually managed to botch them up half way :)
The only mount available in the demo is the rat, and the enemies I could capture were bat, goblin, skeleton and the rat. Probably, if I did a few quick fights before trying the campaign I could catch a few more, but I am really not that sure if it is possible to capture quest monsters.

This is both similar and different. It is a match three type game where your objective is to defeat Morgana Lafay and save Merlin. It uses runes which you can rotate in patterns, makes you solve puzzles to get spells, and is very challenging. http://www.runesofavalon.com

I tried to install the demo, but somehow it didn't run. There even was no .exe installed ? :thinking:

I tried Runes of Avalon and while the game is certainly entertaining, and has good adventure elements into the puzzle formula, it lacks the RPG aspect of PQ.

I can't seem to find any that are this combination in particular. Match 3 with RPG. There are other match 3 with adventure elements. Another good one-- at least through the demo is the Pirate Tales. Here is the link
http://www.twintalestore.com/game.php?ID=10001

There don't seem to be anything directly similar to Puzzle Quest.

OK, so I finally grabbed the demo. It's 1:30 on a work night, and I'm still playing. Any news on when the full PC version might hit the street? I see nothing specific on their website. In fact, I mostly see a handful of very nice, very helpful folks buried in a sea of jerkoffs.

But anyway, do any of you "in the know" folks have some insider info?

Played the demo while listening to last night's Wings game on internet radio and kept right on going until almost 1am. This game is out to kill me. I wants it, so I does.

Any info, folks? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Played the demo while listening to last night's Wings game on internet radio and kept right on going until almost 1am. This game is out to kill me. I wants it, so I does.

Any info, folks? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Nothing solid - in fact, they recently went so far as to say 'despite the PC demo, we have never officially announced a PC version will be released!'

Well that sucks rocks.

Thanks for the news, Mike.

I still can't install it.

The PQ demo seems to install fine on some machines and not at all on others, some even with the same OS. The same goes for running the game; I can't get it to run under 32 bit Vista (I didn't expect it to run, anyway), but it runs fine on my new install of XP... while it ran one day but not the next under my old install of XP.

My WinXP install went smooth as silk. What sort of errors are you seeing, Alrik?

I just can't let go of the demo. I've reached the level cap about a week ago and I'm still playing it to try and uncover as much as I can from it. I've already built Forges and conquered a city. This is game is damn fun. Puzzle + RPG elements = drugs for my brain.

Yeah it's fun and addicting game, but when you realize they are intentionally holding the full PC version for too damn long it kills the feeling playing just a demo.

Yeah it's fun and addicting game, but when you realize they are intentionally holding the full PC version for too damn long it kills the feeling playing just a demo.
So the theory is that the PC version is done/nearly done but they're sitting on it to promote console version sales?

So the theory is that the PC version is done/nearly done but they're sitting on it to promote console version sales?

As far as I recall (could be wrong), they built the PC demo to sell the game, but developed it on the handheld platforms primarily. Then they went back to work on the PC & XBLA versions.

Back
Top Bottom