What are you reading?

Catching up on The Hobbit.

Been a while since I read it. Can't even remember some parts from the movie. Or maybe they added to make it more exciting.

I'm keenly awaiting getting hold of a copy of Imager's Intrigue, the latest in the brilliant (IMO) Imager Portfolio by LEM.

Lorna Freeman's Borderland novels. The books follow a mage apprentice who runs away and joins the army. Unfortunately for him, he ends up in the kingdom that his parents had fled when they were young and finds out that he is related to the king. The king starts to introduce him to court just as his latent mage powers start to activate. Pretty good series, although the main character doesn't have enough flaws to be truly realistic. It makes up for this with almost constant action.

Catching up on The Hobbit.

Been a while since I read it. Can't even remember some parts from the movie. Or maybe they added to make it more exciting.

I loved the Hobbit as a child, but it is dreadfully slow paced compared to anything released in the last couple decades. This is a nostalgia read only for me now. It's just not that good in comparison.

Finished Burning Bright by Ron Rash. The stories were enjoyable and well-written, but I was hoping something darker like from Daniel Woodrell (Winter's Bone, etc) or Donald Ray Pollock, Jr. (Devil All the Time, Knockemstiff).

I'm in a big "rural crime/suspense" novel phase, and was hoping it would fit the bill. Wasn't quite what I was looking for, but still a nice read.

just finished 'Alas Babylon'. quite good, kinda low key.

currently reading cybepunk novel 'Altered Carbon', pretty good. a few drawn out sex scenes, really awkward.. sex in books is so overrated.

Bought myself "Demonkeeper" by Royce Buckingham yesterday (or the day before yesterday). I plan to read it this weekend.
(Its German title is : "Dämliche Dämonen".)

Reading the last book of the Wheel of Time. It's been quite a good one so far!

I'm going to have to read the whole series again, front to back, when I retire.

I've been reading The Shadow of Saganami, by David Weber. It's one of the sub-series for his larger Honor Harrington series. If you like military sci-fi, I recommend the entire series. It's great.

Just completed the Mistborn trilogy. It was fairly good actually. Quite original.

Completed "Demonkeeper". It's a small, nicee and witty book, with a style not unlike mine, but with much, much less baroque language (like I have), and much, much more action-oriented.
Very much recommended !

My Elmore Leonard marathon continues with completion of Out of Sight. It was a good one of those I've read thus far (Glitz, Pronto). This one was also a little more violent. If that's why I enjoyed it more, what does that say about me?

My only complaint, and this has been a theme for all three: the resolution following each book's climax (which for this title was excellent) is too rushed and everything gets wrapped up very quickly— as in a few pages. Maybe that's a testament to how much I have been enjoying his work, that I want more before the book ends.

Nevertheless, it was better than the film, which I enjoyed as well. Going to take a break from Mr. Leonard (he lives not far from me in swanky Bloomfield Hills, MI) for now lest all the books blur together. I will probably resume with the sequel to this one: Road Dogs after I read World Made Straight by Ron Rash, likely followed by a reread of The Hobbit.

Went ahead and started with Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. I recently finished book #1, Gardens of the Moon.

Erikson demands a lot of the reader: the entire first half of the book felt like your usual prologue in that you're thrown right into the middle of a big story with no beginning and have no real grasp on what's going on, who is who, and what everything means. I read that people usually quit before they have read the first third or continue until the end (10 massive volumes). Well, I think I'm going on, because after the initial confusion and overall lack of emotion (see below) I was hooked by the world and happenings.

The Malazan books are considered "Military Fantasy", since they focus on war and the life of soldiers. I have no idea why this series is compared to GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire so often — the only similarities are a huge cast of characters and a "gritty" presentation; otherwise the Malazan world is totally different. GRRMs books are much more character driven — you kind of bond with each of them. Erikson's characters seem more distant, at least so far.

All in all, however, it does start feeling quite epic in a classical sense: You've got High Mages, soldiers, assassins, Gods (Ascended), Elder races, dragons and demons all scheming against each other and battling it out. Looking forward to the next book.

I'm reading 50 shades of gray.. It's kinda a gay thing to do but my GF gave it to me... honestly I'm enjoying it, RED ROOM of PAIN. ;)

So I just finished the 2nd book in the Ambercrombie series, "Before They Are Hanged". It was a perfect sequel imo, stepping up the action from the 1st book and bringing much more detail to the characters and the overall plot. Ordered book 3, and until then I'm back to the Jordan series, currently on book 4, "The Shadow Rising". I must say, the past 2-3 months have been very nice for me, 2 very decent series.

-Carn

The-DaVinci-Code_novel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom