The Elder Scrolls - Rumor: V is a Direct Sequal

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
The Elder Scrolls - Rumor: V is a Direct Sequel

According to Eurogamer Denmark Bethesda is hard at work on the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls series. It will be a direct sequel to Elder Scrolls IV.
This information comes after one of Eurogamer's Denmark editors talked to a member of the Elder Scrolls V development team.
Eurogamer.net contacted the author of this story, Kristian West, to translate what was said into English. This is just a rumor and nothing official has been announced. Here is the translation of the report:
"This source not only confirmed that the game is in current production, but also spoke briefly about the content - with fantasy-sounding phrases like Dragon Lord, something with The Blades - and that voice acting for the characters in the game is currently happening in the weeks to follow.

"The same source confirmed, with official game documents in hand, that this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is the latest game in the now 16-years-old Elder Scrolls saga and by itself one of the better RPGs for PC and consoles.

"The sequel to Oblivion is coming, we can hereby confirm without hesitation. It's been a while since 2006, hasn't it?"
Source: Mana Pool
More information.

Last edited:
What would they mean by "direct sequel"? A continuation of the storyline seen in Oblivion, or simply an independent story set after the events of TESIV?

A rather vague article.

Great… Bethesda finally decides to make a direct sequel, and they choose the worst ES game to make a sequel for. :roll:

Nah, Arena is definitely the worst one in my book.

It means no change to the gameplay, just much better looking 3d-graphics.

That would be a start. The Oblivion engine is more than outdated (as demonstrated in F:NV). But much more important would be a actually good - or to be more realistic - mediocre story and a far more 'living' world (more interesting stuff per square meter - hey, I just developed an awesome new unit of measurement :D).

That would be a start. The Oblivion engine is more than outdated (as demonstrated in F:NV). But much more important would be a actually good - or to be more realistic - mediocre story and a far more 'living' world (more interesting stuff per square meter - hey, I just developed an awesome new unit of measurement :D).

Yeah, I'd love to see them taking a more "living world" approach as seen in the Gothic universe.

I'd also love to see them ditch the area-transitions when going into and out of buildings. It really hurts the immersion at times, especially when seeing NPCs fade away through the doors, or not being able to see the outside world through the windows.

The random generation and level scaling has now been perfected to cover all aspects of the game :D

Obsidian took Fallout 3 and made it an extremely good game. As opposed to what F3 was ;)

Now it's Bethesda's turn to show us that they have learned from some of their mistakes. I am skeptical, but oddly optimistic about this one. I feel so strange saying that :D

If the game is complete up to the point of voice recording, then it must have been in development for at least a couple years. If that is the case, then we're looking at a Gamebryo game again. I don't mind that, but I think it'll be a rougher sell this time for many folks. The reason I don't mind Gamebryo is because we have teams of modders experienced in this engine. It'll take no time for them to move tools from the other Gamebryo games and mods will follow soon thereafter. It'll be interesting to see where the game is set. Will it be Cyrodiil again? The High Elves were starting to act up, so it could be there.

I wish this game would have IDs technology and the Developers from Arx Fatalis , One can dream cant they.

Ohh I would so want for TESV to be the greatest RPG of all times (following daggerfall and morrowind) but looking into current development of games by Beth and other companies, I am pretty sure I will be disappointed and unhappy when it comes out being console port shit .....

Is it too early to start bitching about the game and saying how lame it is compared to Oblivion?

By Obsidian?

I couldn't give a crap if it's a direct sequel to Oblivion's story. And really what does that even mean? So you're the same guy that saved the world buy shutting the gates? So what? You're recognized as a hero from the start of the game? I don't think I care, but I think I'd rather be a random nobody than recognized as the savior of the flippin world by everybody I meet...unless I get a REALLY big discount at stores because of it.

I just hope the setting has more varied environments like Morrowind did...Oblivion was pretty but not much real variety (give me some giant mushrooms dammit).

I just hope the setting has more varied environments like Morrowind did…Oblivion was pretty but not much real variety (give me some giant mushrooms dammit).

+1 for giant mushrooms.

This should be interesting.

1. Hire a good writer.
2. Hire a good animator.
3. Hire a good gameplay systems designer.

Profit ;)

Hm, I was pretty impressed by Oblivion. Technically, it looked really nice and ran pretty smooth (no waiting times when running around the seamless outside areas). Personally, I also thought that there was some variablity - mountains, plains, woods, swamp...

What I didn't like was that they announced the overwhelming "Radiant AI". Anyone remembers the trailers, where these AI was promised to do all sorts of wonderous things? In the end, even the scripted daily routines of the people were boring - no one ever went shopping. Just sleeping, going to place x, sleeping again.

And of course, the main quest was pretty bad. On the other hand, some of the side quests were among the most creative I've ever experienced (and some had so much potential, but didn't use it, like "Whodunit").

But it was still a great game (even if I never finished the main quest), so I will very likely buy the next part - but I don't care it it's a sequel or not. Can't be the same character anyway, as this character is now a god *g*

Color me somewhat excitedly hopeful, somewhat dimmed by prospect of them reusing of the Gamebryo engine.

My hope is that they create a more interesting world and better quests than Oblivion.

Back
Top Bottom