Gothic 4 - Screens @ Worthplaying

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Worthplaying has four screens they think are from Spellbound's development of Gothic 4, although they don't sound confident. I'm pretty sure we've seen these screens (or similar) months ago, so they are certainly early/proof of concept Gothic 4 screens but I can't find it in our database - no doubt you'll remind me in the comments.
More information.

don't recall seeing them.
nice screens, though to me they don't seem anything like gothic; much more a traditonal fantasy feel to me though in the vien of nwn2 or the witcher rather than the more plastic look of oblivion or two worlds.

I´ve added another update to the newsbit.

Maybe the original source is a bit clearer than Worthplaying.

http://www.trinigy.net/index.php?id=20

"Screenshots of a Fantasy RPG study of one of our clients planned for release for PC & Next-Gen consoles and based on Vision Engine 6."

-> Maybe that´s a hint that they no longer plan to release it. Because they have another project now.

http://www.meaning-of-art.de/vision_flyer.jpg

This scanned Vision Engine flyer also shows some very similar pics. The scan was made in late August. I´ve read the pics are from May, which may or may not be true.

The developer is indeed Spellbound.

JoWooD mod & former JoWooD-Fans EiC iks wrote that both the Spellbound CEO and a JoWooD producer told him at the GC that the shots are not from G4.

My guess:
Spellbound was working on a prototype for a multi-platform RPG when they found out that JoWooD was seeking a developer for Gothic 4. They had proven technology, somebody with RPG experience (Hamma), they had an early prototype they modified to look like Gothic, they are an experienced studio and they are from Germany. That´s almost a perfect fit. Which gave both sides an interesting perspective. Spellbound wasn´t that successful in the last few years and JoWooD was in dire need of a studio with a decent track record, because the voices were getting louder who expected them to contract a cheap studio from Eastern Europe and cash in on the Gothic brand one last time.

Last edited:
Well Gothic 4 or not, those are some nice looking screens!

It's kind of a shame they'll be using the name Gothic at all in my opinion.

I mean, of course they will...but still...it's pretty unlikely that it will still *feel* like Gothic to me. On the one hand I hope I'm wrong and we do get a new Gothic (that just happens to be COMPLETE when released)...but on the other hand it'd be nice if *both* this game and whatever PB does had nothing to do with the Gothic universe but was something completely original instead.

Well, at least half that will be true...

Oh, and the screenshots do look good. But to be honest the Helldorado shots interest me more. There just aren't enough western games...and the fact that they call that a "stunning Wild West Tactical Action Strategy title" while using the words real-time strategy for the next game gives me hope that Helldorado *might* be turn-based (I hate real-time "strategy").

Helldorado is already out in Germany, through dtp / Anaconda. It´s basically a recycled Desperados 2 (came 12 months earlier through Atari). D2 was a bit more action-y than Desperados and was a decent but not really great game according to the reviews. Helldorado was closer to Desperados and got better reviews because it fixed most design mistakes D2 made.

Back
Top Bottom