Best antivirus for Windows 7?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I finally got around to installing my copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and now have a dual-boot rig with WinXP-Win7. Now I just need an antivirus program that's compatible with Windows 7.

So who do you think makes the best overall AV program for Windows 7?

Skipped AV in win7. Haven't regret this decision so far.

Got the same OS.

Still using avast! (home edition) after GG's recommendation, it's working well enough for me.

Might go back to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) some day to see if it's gotten any better. That one was very slow for me when downloading files in Firefox and I wasn't sure about MS' update cycle, but others didn't have any problems with it. What I liked most about it was that it was really, really quiet and stayed in the background.

I'd still like to recommend running Secunia PSI as well if you aren't already, and keep it running in the background, to know when there is insecure or out-of-date software on your computer.

Last edited:
I'm just using the Microsoft antivirus. It's free and seems to be very light on the load (reason why I stopped using other commercial AVs, at one point or another they would bring the system down to a crawl)

My tests so far w/ MSE is good for basic users, noobs, techno-phobes - auto updates, seems to be low on resource usage, lets you allow/disallow files, and has a nice detection rate. It does it's thing in the background and leaves you alone. The scan function seems like it's a bit quicker now, but realistically I dont hold scan rate all that high on the priority list. It shouldnt get to that point. Nobody's perfect, stuff slips thru as attacks become more sophisticated, and you should have a firewall enabled to help, but still if youre catching things in a scan at a later time it's not doing it's job sufficiently at present imo.

As for the advanced users, people that can put up w/ some nagging n stuff I'm a steadfast Avira advocate, I think it's an excellent free product.

Unless you're talking strictly free, the best AV program I have ever used is Kaspersky, hands down.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I didn't realize MSE was free. A friend of mine also offered me a copy of Avast!. I think I'm gonna try MSE first.

The best AV I ever used for Windows XP was Symantec Corporate Edition, but a new version of that would cost me around $100.

Avast! works for me, but if you are running your windows with non-admin account, there isn't that big need for anti-virus software.

Just remember to turn off those extra modules from avast and put it to silent mode. ;)

Still using nothing other than Microsoft Security Essentials, and it seems to be doing a sufficient job by itself so far.

I don't really know which one is the best for windows 7, but I do have found a website where they say about the best ten anitvirus software from 2010, I guess those work on windows 7 too.

Back
Top Bottom