Aveyond II Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We haven't covered Amaranth Games' Aveyond (and others) before because their jrpg/anime basis falls outside our purview but Galaad writes that Aveyond II has just been released and we like to support indies. Aveyond won a bunch of indie awards so if you'd like to try out a good indie jrpg of the early Final Fantasy ilk (as I understand it - not my genre), take a look:
60+ quests! 100+ places to explore!
Snow has fallen on a magical vale where it has never snowed before. A beautiful young elf is missing, and no one remembers her existence. That is, no one except for her best friend, Ean. To solve the mystery of his lost friend, Ean leaves the vale and travels to the dangerous Land of Man. Ean’s adventure takes him through dark forests, arid deserts, and finally to a great mountain of ice where the answers to all of his questions await. And that is just the beginning…
Solve dozens of adventure puzzles and explore an enchanting world. Aveyond 2 is packed with monsters, magic, and humor. Stop an evil queen from turning the world into ice, capture a dragon and ride the winds to ancient lands, unite the kingdoms and discover your destiny.

Mouse support
Shapeshift Ean & dress Iya
Join a guild
Buy Grimm’s Farm and raise pets
Karma system
Attraction system
Secret goodie caves (can you find them?)
More information.

JRPGs arent quite my cup of tea either, I had never played any before aveyond. It was decent enough, a bit long I guess though..but I liked some of the quests and the humoristic touches here and there. I havent played any other japanese style rpgs since then, but I'll give aveyond 2 a try for sure as soon as the traffic on their website slows down a bit :p.

I like JRPG, as I started my RPG addiction with the first Final Fantasy long ago. However, amateurs games made with RPG Maker doesn't interest me much. More often than not, they reuse sprites and musics from commercial games, and that turn me off big time.

The Aveyond games seems different though. They're still obviously made with RPG Maker, but at least they seems to use original art and sound. Anyway, while I am interested in them, there are so many games I want to play that I have simply not enough time for them all :(.

It looks and sounds interesting. How come that the watch doesn't followed this and the previous game? and why does the watch doesn't follow games on anime basis ?
because personnaly i am a great lover of anime so i think anime based games would be great too, but I don't know

That's simply the line in the sand we draw. Historically, we've always been a PC / CRPG site (going back to our RPGDot roots), so we've never covered JRPGs (with some minor exceptions). Some time back, we realised the market was changing and consoles would be more prominent, so rather than cover "only PC CRPGs" we made it "western style RPGS" on any platform.

The line between the genres can sometimes be blurry, but we would generally (and I realise this is probably imperfect) categorise anything anime as a JRPG.

More personally, I have no interest in JRPGs and I'm not equipped to report on them, because I've never owned a console and don't know their lineage and history.

Never been very interested by JRPGs. Played Final Fantasy 1 or 2 and Zelda on my gameboy when I was a child, but that's about it. Always felt somewhat «silly» to me to have kid looking heroes fighting cartoonish monsters. Just look at the list of features included in this particular game.

I may understand that some people really love animes and japanese RPGs, but I also understand that this site prefer to not cover them. Western and japanese RPGs are really two worlds.

Yep, Aveyond doesn't really seem to fit in with all the games that are covered here. It's a sub-genre that the old codgers in this group just don't relate to :D The Watch gives a little blurb to make everyone aware of the game and then lets it die. If enough folks start talking up the game, then the coverage will increase. They've done this with other hybrids. Sometimes, like in the case of Puzzle Quest, the community will keep the game in focus for a little while.

Mouse Support ?

Does this mean earlier games didn't have mozse support ?

And so they were driven entirely by keyboard ?

Ehh there are some JRPG games I like, but the REALLY BIG SWORDS and big eyed girls, get really old really fast. Also casting a spell takes about a year to do in most JRPG games. You need the character to first fly up off the ground then some flashy graphics and normally a picture of some kind of monster appears (normally a dragon) and then it finally crashes down and hits the bad guy. Rinse and repeat everytime you cast a spell. I couldn't finish any FF games or Septera Core because after seeing the flashy graphic spell for the 50th time, it became boring.

I would like to see more jRPG coverage here as well ... I mean, the forums are awash with threads reliving the good old days because (IMO) western RPGs are a dying breed. However, as Dhruin pointed out, the watch probably lacks interested and able resources to cover these things. There are still places on the web to read up on jRPGs (I just like this community because we all cut our teeth on the same games roughly).

I guess if you like the action-y Bethesda/Bioware/JoWood offerings then you will blatantly disagree with me as to the health of the western RPG, but judging by a great many posts on this forum ... seems like there is a big chunk of folks are deciding which Dosbox game to load or which infinity engine game to trod through (again, ad nauseum).

Its a question of combat preference, and you either love or hate turn-based ... give me a multi-player version of TOEE with an editor over ANY Morrowind/Gothic/Kotor and I would be pleased as punch. I can either hold my breath, try for the 10th time to have a Gothic type "click" or overlook some artwork and play a game I really like.

A recent exception is Eschalon ... and if you are an old-school, turn-based combat, rich story fan ... I hope you show this guy your support! (I did, just now purchased!!!)

Last edited:
To answer Alrik about the mouse support thingy, Yeah, Aveyond 1 was played through keyboard (and I think gamepad if you wanted if I remember well, although I'd have to confirm that one to be sure). I suppose it basically tried to be an 'old school' console jrpg but on the PC.

I wouldnt mind a bit of coverage on jRPGs, while im not an expert/fan of the genre, I guess Aveyond serie pleasantly surprised me...and there probably are other out there... (For example I've heard quite often about Nihon Falcom games, Including Ys series) Although writing about jrpgs would likely require contribution from watch members who are aware of it, we cant expect the eds to become overnight fans of the style and to know all about it =P.

While I'd judge myself an anime fan, and I don't mind playing jRPGs once in a (long, long) while, I'd really dislike seeing the Watch cover them seriously unless it was done as a separate sub-site like is done for MMOs and only if quality staff was available to do the job up to RPGWatch's high standards. Obviously that's a call for the editorial staff but since other folks were giving unsolicited opinions I thought I'd join in. :)

I also want to comment on turn-based combat. The difference between western-style turn-based and eastern-style turn-based is as large, to me, as the difference between either turn-based and real-time. I love western turn-based but can only just tolerate jRPG-style.

Obviously special cases like quality indie projects such as Aveyond are certainly decent crossover material and I'm glad y'all are covering it.

There are sites (RPGamer comes to mind that do an excellent job with jRPG's, but are not PC folks. I am happy to be allowed to do an article on handhelds every month or two, but wouldn't really like to see more jRPG focus, since that has a slippery console slope ...

To be honest (Just to clarify what I said earlier), I wouldnt mind a bit of coverage on JRPGs, but I wouldnt mind if there wasnt really any either :p. Im quite happy with the Watch, hence why I visit the site a few times a day! :)

We could possibly consider some sort of periodic roundup but we just won't be including JRPGs in our regular coverage. I guess we could consider a poll for the fun of it but I want to be clear that nothing would hinge on the result.

About the link to amaranthia.com/modules/aveyond2/

Once installed, clicking on the desktop sword icon will activate a virus

location of file...AVEYOND 2.EXE

BKDR-SPYBOTER.SAA MALWARE

Regards
Wulf

Quite surprised to read this Wulf, are you using Grisoft AVG per chance? I've tested this at home with Kaspersky and just now *whistles innocently* at work with Trend Micro AV and with some antispyware/malware software as well and nothing came up. Only thing I can think of is that maybe you're using a prog thats prone to false positives maybe? Maybe it doesnt like whatever is in their program that they launch at the start of the game to offer you to buy/register it.

I don't think it would be a good idea to a minimalist coverage of JRPGs. People interested in them would not be satisfied, and the rest will not care anyway.

Besides, like txa1265, I recommend RPGamer. IMHO they do a fine job covering those games. Between that website and the Watch, I get all the info I want (about RPGs anyway ;))

Hello Galaad,

Indeed i use AVG which allowed it through as well as Ad-Watch, maybe i'm a bit over cautious it was picked up by Comodo's 'BOClean' (v4.25) as listed per...

http://nsclean.com/trolist2.html

It reported as a self spawning child variant file.
By all means please confirm if this is o.k to continue to install and play and evaluate.

Back
Top Bottom