Dark Souls II - April PC Release?

I am glad you are doing something concrete to solve the problem :D
Stupid nordic joke :D

Anyway how did we get so off the topic?

I guess probably the engine more or less runs perfectly on PC already if it is true that they didn't spend anytime on the port, then that'd be really good news for DS2.

…r

Anyway how did we get so off the topic?
….

Easy. Pibbur started posting.

Sorry.

pibbur who'll start banging his head against a nearby wall as soon as he has cliked the Submit button, and has finished preparing dinner. Probaly also eating.

I don't think they were at all dishonest, but they were either lazy or obstinate in not putting even the slightest effort to make a decent port, and never taking even the tiny amount of time it would have taken to patch the base game later on to make it work better. I mean they could have at least changed the tooltips in the beginning of the game which tell you to hit buttons on your xbox controller.

But it's true that they did tell us they weren't going to try very hard.

I don't think it's manipulative at all, I think they were honest.

I agree. They stated in a few press releases before Dark Souls came out it would be a straight port with no PC-centric anything. I give them credit for that when usually pubs/devs work hard to hide warts. Everyone had an opportunity to know what they were getting into BEFORE buying the game.

Same tired ole discussion I see ;)

Yes the port was horrible/had unacceptable support (although the code is rock solid, true, Not a single glitch in 130+ hours). Yes they should have done more after the sales indicated that PC was a viable platform for it. And yes they are going to be given less understanding if they don't: #1) Migrate the first game to Steamworks (as the rumor goes). #2) Keep their promise to have a high standard of support for the platform for the sequel (I think its a no-brainer that they will do their best this time around).

I'd look to the Dev-Publisher relation for an explanation to their lack of support after release (in addition to how much they sucked as PC devs prior). Namco probably told them "hey, here are 2 pennies make that port in 2 months OK!?" and they did. But the sad fact of life is that someone must also pay for support.

Didn't the much loved Pirahna Bytes completely abandoned the mess that was Gothic 3 to the hands of the community due to their spat with the publisher? :) And the problem there was far more than a sucky GUI (we can't all have SkyUI fixing our consolized mess can we ;) and didn't Witcher 2's controls sucked on release and its GUI plagued by consolitis ? Although CDPR's self-published, after release support is undoubtedly beyond reproach )…

But hey I am usually interested in the game itself (rather than GUIs and rehashing discussions like these) so thats strictly it for my 2c ;)

I don't think it's manipulative at all, I think they were honest.

That can easily be the same thing.

I still think you have a choice, and you can't always get what you want. If you want a good PC port of the game - well, it was clear from the beginning there is no such thing. Nobody's forcing a mediocre implementation upon you.

I'm not asking for anything - I don't even like the game much. Also, I bought the PS3 version at release.

I'm saying it's a shitty port and being honest about the fact that you're not going to bother making a decent port - doesn't buy you any good will from me.

People want the game - so obviously they're going to vote for its creation, whether they intend to pay for it or not.

If they're pointing towards the poll as an excuse, that's manipulation and we can see that you're already cutting them slack for no logical reason :)

Let's pretend they didn't make a poll - would that make the port worse? Of course not.

OTOH, if you think that none of the president candidates deserves your vote, you can always decide not to vote, but you still have to live with the one that got elected.

Exactly, votes don't mean much when you don't get what you want.

Didn't the much loved Pirahna Bytes completely abandoned the mess that was Gothic 3 to the hands of the community due to their spat with the publisher? And the problem there was far more than a sucky GUI (we can't all have SkyUI fixing our consolized mess can we and didn't witched 2's controls sucked on release and it GUI plagued by consolitis ? Although CDPR self-published after release support is undoubtedly beyond reproach )…

Difference being that G3 was extremely ambitious and the result had nothing to do with wanting to make a quick buck without actually making an effort.

Let's try to keep things in perspective before we excuse sloppy crap, whether due to the publisher or the developer.

I'm not pointing fingers at one or the other, as I have no inside information telling me who's responsible.

But I do know that ports don't magically appear out of nowhere and that one or more human beings are responsible for the crappy port - and those would be the "they" I'm talking about.

If you want to guage interest in something - you don't shit all over it before you release it.

I don't excuse anything obviously.

And Dark souls is an extremely ambitious game made by a tiny team given as much as an afterthought's amount of resources from Namco…

Lets see what they can do in #2 when a tiny bit more was given. It might actually turn out worse as things usually go ;)

And Dark souls is an extremely ambitious game made by a tiny team given as much as an afterthought's amount of resources from Namco…

I'm talking about the port, not the game itself - which is great for what it is.

The people who decided that they'd release it on PC without making an effort are the people who don't deserve support, in my opinion. But given the strong core - the port is actually being excused by a lot of people - whether they want to admit it or not.

That means they could easily mess up all over again, if they wanted to. It also means the game might have sold more - and have become even more popular, as it deserves to be.

I'm saying this as a fan of gaming and diversity - not a fan of the game itself.

Lets see what they can do in #2 when a tiny bit more was given. It might actually turn out worse as things usually go ;)

Probably be dumbed down to reach a wider audience - though I haven't actually followed development. But that would be my first guess.

Nothing indicates that thus far. But let us worry about it ;)

Looking at some of the changes I would say it will actually be harder.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls-2/Dark_Souls_vs_Dark_Souls_2

Not sure if I like the new way humanity and death is handled. Looks like I'll be playing most of the game at half health depending on how rare effigies are.

Yeah, that is what I am getting too. It actually may be more player driven too this time. They seem to have upped the speed of the gameplay, loosened the responsiveness of the controls a bit (to hide some of the network lag and even the field for pvp ?) and increased the aggressiveness of the enemies. Also, introduced sudden changes to move sets and upped the occasions where you will face more than one.

There are also changes that I don't like at all. Warping from the start is the most famous one. Personally I can show self restraint but imho it will detract from the game and I am a huge fan of keeping that from the player for a length of time and forcing him to create an attachment to the game world. I do have to wonder how this decision affected overall world design.

Also I am sure that the Demon's souls fanbase will love the return of the "maiden" design but I consider it a kinda lame idea for a game that apparently improves on the open world aspect of #1.

Another that I learned recently, and it may seem like a little thing but it kinda ticks me off, is that they have apparently done away with the need to find too many embers to upgrade your gear. I hope (am almost certain thankfully) that you still have to find one per path at least. Completely needless area to streamline imo…

I did make it through the depths and blighttown cursed though so maybe it won't be too bad.

Ouch! I managed not to get cursed in both my runs (did it late in #1 and the sorcerer was generally a complete cakewalk, in that place too). That must have been horrible. You are having a badass run though :D

I assume you know how to get rid of the curse ?

Yep I cured it and am now in sen's fortress.

I got a little side tracked as I accidentally hit the blacksmith before sen's fortress, so I had to go get 32,000 souls for my sin.

Back on track now. Somehow the fire keeper at fire link shrine got killed though so I don't have a bonfire there. Not sure how that happened though.

Can't wait to get through sen's. I'm not a big fan of traps and it's littered with them.

Also any down side to killing the guy that opens the gate to Sen's?

Sorry forgot this is dark souls 2 thread I'll put all further questions in the DS thread.

Well if the rest of the peeps will forgive a mini derailment:
Back on track now. Somehow the fire keeper at fire link shrine got killed though so I don't have a bonfire there. Not sure how that happened though.

Lautrec, the bastard. You will be able to get revenge not too far in the future if you've gotten a necessary object from the firekeeper's Corpse. And when you do, don't use up the Firekeeper soul you will get back from him before you visit the site of the crime again... You have an important choice to make

Also any down side to killing the guy that opens the gate to Sen's?

If you mean the Giant no. He'll also drop a titanite chunk iirc...

@Dart: You've made your standing clear. I have hopefully made my points clear, and we shall remain in disagreement until the end of time.

I can however not think of any new arguments, so I'll go back to playing Skyrim, Or LOTRO. Or something else.

pibbur who is still a bit disturbed since he participated in an argument (don't know if that's the correct word - i don't mean a quarrel) with someone, this time our local musketeer.

@Dart: You've made your standing clear. I have hopefully made my points clear, and we shall remain in disagreement until the end of time.

I can however not think of any new arguments, so I'll go back to playing Skyrim, Or LOTRO. Or something else.

pibbur who is still a bit disturbed since he participated in an argument (don't know if that's the correct word - i don't mean a quarrel) with someone, this time our local musketeer.

Until the end of time? Nah, you'll wise up eventually ;)

Back
Top Bottom