The Witcher 2 - Interview @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eurogamer chats with Witcher 2 producer Tomas Gop in an interview fron the Eurogamer Expo. Here's an excerpt on the multiple endings:
Eurogamer: I've heard there are 16 endings in The Witcher 2 and even multiple introductions if you import your savegame from The Witcher. How do you make sure that every way you play the game is rewarding and coherent when there's so much player choice involved?
Jan Bartkowicz: It's like this. First of all, we wanted to make these multiple endings not like... We don't want the game to be a linear story until the last 10 per cent of the game where you make the choices and suddenly everything goes totally different ways. That's not really a summary, right? It's only a summary of the last 10 per cent of the game.
So we've made our system based on the idea, for example, that in the first chapter of the game you will make choices that mean you could only possibly see eight of those endings because of the choice you made. Someone asked me at gamescom, "Where do I need to save the game to load it and see all the different endings?" and I told them, "Well, basically in the prologue!"
More information.

This snippet from the interview is bewildering:

... but the way you are going we can see you definitely removed the things that some people perceived too difficult. For example, the advanced tactics in combat - they were obligatory in The Witcher 1 and in the second one they're not. These are the changes we're trying to do, all of them based on feedback.

Too difficult? Is he joking? It was certainly uneven, but only too difficult in one encounter. The other hundred were too easy, even on hard difficulty… "Advanced tactics" like using magic or potions? WTF?

Brace yourself for "The Witcher 2", an interactive movie, with no chance of dying…

Good Good , easy setting was not easy enough for me in TW1 until late patches , nice that they thought of players who are mostly interested in the story and hate to be stuck into combat situations.
I hope that i will not have to reload zillion times to find out how creatures like the giant cockroach can be killed.

I must say that - originally coming from the Adventure Games genre - I also rather focus on story than on combat.

But on the other hand, I'm also into turn-based combat ...

I thought I'd repost a link from Codex thread here with an unofficial FAQ.

http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=28407.0

Its unofficial (= made by fan(boys)), but still it restored hope for the Witcher 2 a bit for me, after recent news and interviews made me feel more and more worried about it. Wait and see, wait and see...

Back
Top Bottom