What games are you playing now?

Playing Okami. Interesting game, always wanted to try it.
Longest intro ever.

Someone whos played Okami please tell me that Issun, the glowing little ball of annoyance, soon goes away...

Damn he/she/it is annoying!

Last edited:
Returned to LoL but I'm annoyed by new champions that were released since I was gone (for a year at least)… Then again, maybe I just got rusty.

I'll probably ditch it again for a while and pop in Menigal's replay train. :)

Completed Dead Space last night.

I'm still surprised how well it held up, actually. I think I appreciate it more today than I did back upon release. I was disappointed back then, because the early game is extremely promising and shows the potential to reach System Shock 2 levels. But it quickly turns into something that's less about exploration and soaking up the atmosphere with lots of quiet moments, and more about predictable spawns and shooting.

However, this time around - I was prepared for it, which meant I could better appreciate the good aspects of the game. The story is really quite good, and the level design (as linear as it is) is excellent. Even some of the puzzles are a bit neat and clever. Not old-school challenging in any way - but slightly more demanding than the auto-solution stuff of 2013.

I think the most impressive aspect of the entire game is the sound design. Absolutely fantastic and is a huge part of the powerful atmosphere. The game almost topples Bioshock in terms of sense of place.

Now, I have to decide whether to go directly for Dead Space 2 (which I never completed) - or kick back and get started on Far Cry 3 - as something completely different. I know I'm going to have a problem with DS2 - but I hope my knowledge of it being a dumbed down shooter will help ease the challenge of getting immersed. I want the full story - and I expect some wonderful set pieces.

Dead Space 2 was as good as I remembered it. A fantastic game till the end and right on par with DS1. I only hope DS3 is close to the same level.

I didn't find DS2 as interesting as the first game overall; it just seemed to resort too much to inundating the player with enemies and concentrating on the action, especially towards the last few chapters. Not quite enough puzzles either to my taste, although I did like the spaced out solar array section.

Also, I want more feeling of absolute cosmic terror in my Dead Space experience.
For me it got too much like just being Resident Evil in space (including the hokey voice acting) blended with obvious Doom 3 elements. I hope there's more ambition in portraying the space setting in the third game, though I won't hold my breath. Still, I'd be interested in reading your impressions thread. :)

Not really currently playing anything to be honest: Started a character in Avadon last week, but have mostly been playing some miscellaneous horizontal scrolling sh'mups on the C64. :) (Katakis, Parsec, R-Type, Nemesis and a bit of Salamander.)

I didn't find DS2 as interesting as the first game overall; it just seemed to resort too much to inundating the player with enemies and concentrating on the action, especially towards the last few chapters. Not quite enough puzzles either to my taste, although I did like the spaced out solar array section.

Also, I want more feeling of absolute cosmic terror in my Dead Space experience.
For me it got too much like just being Resident Evil in space (including the hokey voice acting) blended with obvious Doom 3 elements. I hope there's more ambition in portraying the space setting in the third game, though I won't hold my breath. Still, I'd be interested in reading your impressions thread. :)

Not really currently playing anything to be honest: Started a character in Avadon last week, but have mostly been playing some miscellaneous horizontal scrolling sh'mups on the C64. :) (Katakis, Parsec, R-Type, Nemesis and a bit of Salamander.)

By all accounts - Dead Space 3 is EVEN MORE of a straight-up shooter fest than DS2.

However, it also seems to have expanded some gameplay elements quite significantly - so there is that.

Dead Space 3 is turning out to be surprisingly meaty. I'm well into chapter 9 now, and according to my save file, I'm still only 38% finished. This game is much longer than the previous two.

I'm also starting to enjoy it despite the negatives. Imo, it's not on par with either of the first two games, but it has a certain charm of its own. For one thing, it offers a lot more variety in terms of settings.

So far, I've been on a lunar colony that had a Blade Runnerish style to it, a fleet of derelict ships floating in space that contained several locations in itself, and now I'm on a Hoth-like ice planet.

Also, it's not entirely linear like the prequels. There are optional missions that take you to areas you can explore for extra supplies and nonessential story bits.

If it wasn't for several very aggravating design decisions, this could easily have been the best game in the series.

Last edited:

I'll have to disagree about Dead Space 2. I don't see the comparison to Resident Evil other than the obvious genre traits, and I've played every RE game except the most recent. It's weaker than the first game early on, but gets much better in the later chapters imo. Dead Space 1&2 are very similar overall, especially compared to DS3.

If you liked the outer space sections in DS2, then there are some areas you'll definitely like in DS3, and they're much larger.

R-Type…now that brings back memories. I used to have both the Sega Master System and the TuboGrafx 16 versions. Probably my favorite scrolling shooter of all time, and one of the hardest games I've ever played. I vaguely remember Salamander too. Wasn't that by Konami? Very similar to Gradius iirc.

I vaguely remember Salamander too. Wasn't that by Konami? Very similar to Gradius iirc.
Yes indeed. It was set in the same universe but came a year or so later.
I know Gradius as Nemesis incidentally. :) That's also a seminal classic of the genre.
Whilst I've never finished too many of them, I do enjoy the challenge of bettering one's score and the thrill of getting that bit further. It's a style of game that usually brings unique soundtracks as well.
R-Type is certainly a notable one. Chris Huelsbeck rocks!

The beauty of the C64 is that it's loaded with hidden gems to try in many genres and this one is no exception. Enforcer, Armalyte, Delta, IO - there's four more horizontal scrollers and they're all great. :)

Thanks for the information on Dead Space 3. Sounds…big! I might wait for the inevitable price drop I think. Care to elaborate more on the aggravating design decisions you mention?
Seriously though, DS2 on hardcore became quite ridiculous towards the end.
For me there was just too much reliance upon mass mobs and the survival of attrition rather than genuine pacing and tension through gameplay. That said, I did like the otherworldliness of the ending more in the second game.

Last edited:
Playing Dead Space 2 - and around 2-3 hours in.

Well… I gotta be honest. This is a LOT better than I remember.

First of all, the controls are much more responsive - and even though the first Dead Space was one of the most polished games I've played - this exceeds it by quite a margin. Everything is smooth and slick as hell.

Yes, there is a great emphasis on shooting - and I'm especially noting a higher creature count. I'm playing on Normal - as I'm mostly here for the story. I played DS on easy, because I already played it once before (on hardest, I believe). I don't know if that's the reason - but it certainly seems like there are more things to kill.

But apart from that unfortunate switch, I'm finding myself extremely impressed by the level design. I just spent about an hour in the Church of Unitology - and it looks better than anything in the first game.

The stasis/kinetic mechanics have both been improved - and I'm finding stasis more useful than ever.

Someone compared Dead Space to Alien and Dead Space 2 to Aliens, and at this point - I'd tend to agree.

I do have a strong dislike for the action set pieces and the annoying mini-bosses, but the sheer power of the setting and the overall care that's clearly gone into creating the levels are outshining the negatives in a big way.

I didn't expect to feel this way, but if the game keeps being this good - it will be superior to the prequel.

I guess it helped a lot to be prepared this time :)

Makes me really excited to play Dead Space 3 as well!

Thanks for the information on Dead Space 3. Sounds…big! I might wait for the inevitable price drop I think. Care to elaborate more on the aggravating design decisions you mention?

For starters, they eliminated the save system from the previous two games. Now there is no manual in-game saving. There's just an auto-save that overwrites itself at intervals and confines you to a single save slot.

Then there's respawning items. They're not everwhere, but I've noticed them in a few places. You can literally pick up an item, walk out of that room, wait for the door to close, then reenter that room to find another randomly respawned item.

EA apparently refers to this as a "feature" that exist so people don't have to partake in microtransactions. I guess one shitty design decision deserves another.

Then there's my favorite new feature… universal ammo! Yep, whether you're using a plasma cutter, a javelin gun, or an assault type weapon, they all magically use the same type of ammo now.

Seriously though, DS2 on hardcore became quite ridiculous towards the end.
For me there was just too much reliance upon mass mobs and the survival of attrition rather than genuine pacing and tension through gameplay. That said, I did like the otherworldliness of the ending more in the second game.

Why play on hardcore? I think it's important to play at a level that's challenging but not frustrating. Imo, survivalist difficulty presents the best balance in DS2.

Loving playing Okami, awesome game on PS3.

Im stuck on mr oranges dance tho, why am i having such a hard time w/ this??

I've heard Okami being mentioned quite a bit when it comes to PS3 games people say are must-plays. But for some reason the amazon version is way overpriced. like 45 GBP or something. It saying it's imported from Japan, but localized for english. I'm going to have to keep it on my mind along with Shadow of the Colossus.

Still hanging on with Dark Souls. I've restarted the game and playing a lot more carefully. But sometimes it's just crazy. I mean, after i killed the Taurus Demon, I went down to the large bridge, and after taking a few steps, a wall of flame just dropped on me. I'm guessing there was a dragon above, but I got no frikkin hint as to its presence. When I came back the second time, it was on the other side of the bridge. So, that was just a random death the developers wanted to include? Or did I just miss the "there's a dragon above" hint.

Anyway, it's gotten so worse that now, when I have over 1500 souls I just go back to my previous bonfire and invest those souls. I'm not taking chances.

Nice tracks, DeepO, thanks. :)

And some more Huelsbeckian love: (Bass me up Chris!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxqzezn6lc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjewSiN2-4Y

Anyway, it's gotten so worse that now, when I have over 1500 souls I just go back to my previous bonfire and invest those souls. I'm not taking chances.
I did the same thing for awhile. Learn not to strive or clutch so stubbornly to your souls; it'll make your experience more relaxing and easy going. :) (I referred to it as the quasi-buddhist touch a couple of pages back…) Also, learn to laugh at your own deaths. :D
It certainly helped me.

For starters, they eliminated the save system from the previous two games. Now there is no manual in-game saving. There's just an auto-save that overwrites itself at intervals and confines you to a single save slot.

Then there's respawning items. They're not everwhere, but I've noticed them in a few places. You can literally pick up an item, walk out of that room, wait for the door to close, then reenter that room to find another randomly respawned item.

EA apparently refers to this as a "feature" that exist so people don't have to partake in microtransactions. I guess one shitty design decision deserves another.

Then there's my favorite new feature… universal ammo! Yep, whether you're using a plasma cutter, a javelin gun, or an assault type weapon, they all magically use the same type of ammo now.

Thanks for sharing that info.I did enjoy both dead space and I was planing to potentially buy DS 3 when prices drop low enough but this kills it for me.

Nice tracks, DeepO, thanks. :)

And some more Huelsbeckian love: (Bass me up Chris!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxqzezn6lc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjewSiN2-4Y

I did the same thing for awhile. Learn not to strive or clutch so stubbornly to your souls; it'll make your experience more relaxing and easy going. :) (I referred to it as the quasi-buddhist touch a couple of pages back…) Also, learn to laugh at your own deaths. :D
It certainly helped me.

I don't think I'll need to anymore. I don't think I'm gonna play Dark Souls anymore. It's sadistic as hell. I just spent 5 tried to get to that metal-armored bull (or what the hell he is), and it seems like I'm either getting worse every time, or I don't know, but I can't even seem to get to the bull anymore. I keep getting mowed down by those frikkin armored minions. And I used to easily take them out, but now for some reason they butcher me every time. Mostly the guys with spears. It's probably just frustration showing, because I get angry as hell and loose focus. Anyway, I don't think I'm gonna waste my time with DS. Maybe if I get to a point when I don't have anything else to play, and have a lot of time to kill.

I'm still playing The Book Of Unwritten Tales besides SWTOR - and I'm kind of stuck.
I like, however, this game very, very much and I highly recommend it for everyone here ! :)

I'd like to install Sacred 2, too - but I fear that my harddisk has already too many games installed there ...

But I might perhaps try to install "Tale Of A Hero" instead, which looks as if it was an adventure in the good "King's Quest" spirit ...

Thanks for sharing that info.I did enjoy both dead space and I was planing to potentially buy DS 3 when prices drop low enough but this kills it for me.

It's actually not a bad game at all really. I just don't think it's as good as the first two mainly for the reasons I listed. It's actually superior to DS 1&2 in some aspects, just not enough to overcome the flaws.

I'm having a lot of fun though, and I'd say it's definitely worth buying once it drops in price or goes on sale.

I don't think I'll need to anymore. I don't think I'm gonna play Dark Souls anymore. It's sadistic as hell. I just spent 5 tried to get to that metal-armored bull (or what the hell he is), and it seems like I'm either getting worse every time, or I don't know, but I can't even seem to get to the bull anymore.

The armored boar is easy if you have any kind of ranged attack. Approach until he starts to charge you, then turn around and run to get up on the ledge near the gate. If you do it right, he won't be able to hit you, and you can hit him with magic, etc., until he's dead or low enough on health to finish off easily.

Back
Top Bottom