Legend - Hand of God - Collector's Edition Announced

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
dtp / Anaconda Games has announced a Collector´s Edition of Master Creating´s innovative action-RPG Legend - Hand of God. It will be released in the German speaking countries on October 12th, which is a small delay from the originally planned late September street date.
The CE includes:
  • An attractive box looking like an expensive book.
  • The game.
  • The sound track.
  • The novel Legend: Demon Storm.
  • An audio book (independent from the novel).
  • Poster.
RRP: 59.99 €
Sound track, audio book and novel will also be sold as stand-alone products.
A CE pack shot can be seen on the official site.
More information.

looks very good, and the goodies are interestingly refreshing.
also, no shitty "games for windows" BANNER on the box is always a plus.

Why? The "Games for Windows" program does have quite a few benefits.

Like (copied from Wikipedia)...
  • An "Easy Install" option that installs the title on your PC in the fewest possible steps and mouse clicks
  • Compatibility with the Windows Vista Games Explorer (see below)
  • Compatibility with the Xbox 360 controller (where applicable)
  • Installs and runs properly on x64 versions of Windows Vista and is compatible with 64-bit processors (though the game itself can be 32-bit)
  • Supports normal and widescreen resolutions, such as 4:3 aspect ratio (800 x 600, 1024 x 768), 16:9 aspect ratio (1280 x 720), and 16:10 aspect ratio (1152 x 720, 1280 x 800)
  • Launching from Media Center (Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate have Media Center)
What's wrong with that? I quite welcome such quality standards to be honest (whether they are met 100% might be a different story but the mere attempt to bring more quality to PC gaming deserves credit in my opinion).

nothing against the things that stand behind this logo/program, but why must the white banner take up 30% of the games packaging, normally ruining the design of the cover. especially for collectors editions (eg. bioshock) this is incomprehensible.

a smaller logo would be sufficient.

OK... from an aesthetic point of view it does suck a little bit. True :) . Though it would seem like 30% is a bit of an exaggeration or the Bioshock Euro boxes are different. I got the Euro CE and the "Games for Windows" logo only is about an inch (2-3cm) wide which would make it more like 10% (at most) but -yeah- it ain't exactly pretty ;) .

Why? The "Games for Windows" program does have quite a few benefits.

Like (copied from Wikipedia)...
  • An "Easy Install" option that installs the title on your PC in the fewest possible steps and mouse clicks
  • Compatibility with the Windows Vista Games Explorer (see below)
  • Compatibility with the Xbox 360 controller (where applicable)
  • Installs and runs properly on x64 versions of Windows Vista and is compatible with 64-bit processors (though the game itself can be 32-bit)
  • Supports normal and widescreen resolutions, such as 4:3 aspect ratio (800 x 600, 1024 x 768), 16:9 aspect ratio (1280 x 720), and 16:10 aspect ratio (1152 x 720, 1280 x 800)
  • Launching from Media Center (Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate have Media Center)
What's wrong with that? I quite welcome such quality standards to be honest (whether they are met 100% might be a different story but the mere attempt to bring more quality to PC gaming deserves credit in my opinion).

You are being sarcastic, right? But in case of the scenario that you are not, then see below:

The "Games for Windows" program is in my opinion an attempt from Micrsoft's side to gain control of the PC gaming market and integrating their Xbox platform with PC gaming so that they strengthen their market position towards the other console developers. That is in my mind not fair competition.
The "Games for Windows" program also serves marketing purposes for Microsoft. To gain the benefits of the program you need to have Vista so it is clearly a strategical maneuvre to boost Vista sales.
And not one single of the features you listed is anything ground-breaking in any way. They just don't suffice to warrant having the program.

And yes, the aesthetical part of the "Games for Windows" program is horrid. That alone is sufficient for me to not want "Games for Windows". "Games for Windows" is actually fine by me as long as they don't have that logo on the cover. That bloody logo.

Unfortunately the GFW logo doesn't always guarantee those things ... I heard reports from folks trying to play some kids games (can't remember which) and movie tie-in that were both GFW and neither installed correctly ...

@ Asbjoern: I'm not quite sure it makes sense to really go in-depth on a discussion about Microsoft with a "Microsoft is big and eeevvuuuuhhhhllll" hater because it's unlikely I'll change your mind (not that I really want to anyway ;) ) so I'll just say this...

You are being sarcastic, right?

Nope :) .

The "Games for Windows" program is in my opinion an attempt from Micrsoft's side to gain control of the PC gaming market and integrating their Xbox platform with PC gaming so that they strengthen their market position towards the other console developers. That is in my mind not fair competition.

I think you might be partially confusing "Games for Windows" with the "Windows Live" service here. Those are two separate pairs of shoes.
Also, I don't see at all how it is "not fair" towards the other console devs. It's not really Microsoft's fault that Sony and Nintendo do not have or make gaming capable operating systems for the PC.

Finally, let's face it. The very last thing that PC gaming needs is any sort of fragmentation or a war among the prominent PC parties (MS, Apple, Linux derivatives) over the gaming side of things. The death of PC gaming is an often discussed no-issue but it might actually turn into a real issue if any such fragmentation should occur.

I think a lot of people just don't realize how good we actually got it. Windows can be bought at a very fair price compared to the time you'll be using the OS. The system (ever since 2K/XP) is extremely stable and reliable on its own. If there wouldn't be companies such as *cough* Creative *cough* who can't code drivers for shit it would be so stable that it would be bordering on scary. Almost all games are getting a Windows release thanks to MS dominance in the market. Can you even begin to imagine the nightmare that would ensue if we had three companies/factions competing over the already hurting PC gaming market? We'd have Apple-exclusive, Linux-exclusive and Windows-exclusive games then. In addition to console exclusives. Gaming would be spread out across so many platforms it wouldn't even be funny. And I don't think I need to mention what this would mean for the quality of most games, right?

In all seriousness... anyone who is a PC gamer (and I'm strictly only speaking about gaming here) should install a shrine with a pic of Bill Gates in their room and thank him by praying in the direction of Redmond, WA five times a day :biggrin: . It could all be A LOT worse. And I mean a helluva lot worse.

We're living in a nearly ideal PC gaming world where you just fire up your PC and play almost like you would do with a console but with a lot more flexibility. Vista and Games for Windows is getting us closer to the goal of complete hassle-free gaming. That's a good thing in my opinion. It will strengthen the position of PC gaming and make the PC a more attractive target platform for publishers.

The "Games for Windows" program also serves marketing purposes for Microsoft. To gain the benefits of the program you need to have Vista so it is clearly a strategical maneuvre to boost Vista sales.

And that's a bad thing? How? Why? Just because MS is big and eevuuuhhllll and cuz Vista is teh d3v!L? Please... :rolleyes:

And not one single of the features you listed is anything ground-breaking in any way. They just don't suffice to warrant having the program.

Of course it isn't ground-breaking but it is a commendable effort to keep the "crap" out by setting certain minimum standards for "Games for Windows" games (yes, I am aware that it doesn't work in all cases and with all games... that's why I said "attempt" in my first post and why I'm saying "effort" now).
But... sure. Feel free to boycot "Games for Windows". It's your right as a consumer to vote with your wallet. No problem at all. I was just trying to point out the clear advantages. That's all.

@ Asbjoern: I'm not quite sure it makes sense to really go in-depth on a discussion about Microsoft with a "Microsoft is big and eeevvuuuuhhhhllll" hater because it's unlikely I'll change your mind (not that I really want to anyway ;) ) so I'll just say this....

I'm not particularly a Microsoft "hater", but I do despise Microsoft's gaming services (X360 and "Games for Windows"). As long as Microsoft stays away from gaming and focuses on creating great operating systems, then I'm happy.

I think you might be partially confusing "Games for Windows" with the "Windows Live" service here. Those are two separate pairs of shoes.
Also, I don't see at all how it is "not fair" towards the other console devs. It's not really Microsoft's fault that Sony and Nintendo do not have or make gaming capable operating systems for the PC.

I'm not confusing the two programs. You are not able to see any comparison between the X360 and "Games for Windows" program?
Microsoft are trying to monopolize gaming with the "Games for Windows" platform. The X360 and "GfW" have similar front cover logos and you need "GfW" to use "Windows Live". Tell me any good reason to why there should be a front cover logo on "GfW" games? Couldn't it just have been written as information on the back? But if it could, then why would Microsoft have it written on the front cover? Because they want to tie their X360 platform together with PC gaming. Monopolizing.

What? So you are saying that it is ok for Microsoft to chain PC gaming and the X360 together with the reference that Sony or Nintendo could just make their own operating systems? That is very narrow-minded.

Finally, let's face it. The very last thing that PC gaming needs is any sort of fragmentation or a war among the prominent PC parties (MS, Apple, Linux derivatives) over the gaming side of things. The death of PC gaming is an often discussed no-issue but it might actually turn into a real issue if any such fragmentation should occur.

Do you really see that happening? Please take a look at these statistics and tell me if it is a potential threat.

I think a lot of people just don't realize how good we actually got it. Windows can be bought at a very fair price compared to the time you'll be using the OS. The system (ever since 2K/XP) is extremely stable and reliable on its own. If there wouldn't be companies such as *cough* Creative *cough* who can't code drivers for shit it would be so stable that it would be bordering on scary. Almost all games are getting a Windows release thanks to MS dominance in the market. Can you even begin to imagine the nightmare that would ensue if we had three companies/factions competing over the already hurting PC gaming market? We'd have Apple-exclusive, Linux-exclusive and Windows-exclusive games then. In addition to console exclusives. Gaming would be spread out across so many platforms it wouldn't even be funny. And I don't think I need to mention what this would mean for the quality of most games, right?

I never said we shouldn't thank Microsoft for bringing us great operating systems. But just because they do some things in a good way doesn't mean we have to accept their other services without criticism.

We're living in a nearly ideal PC gaming world where you just fire up your PC and play almost like you would do with a console but with a lot more flexibility. Vista and Games for Windows is getting us closer to the goal of complete hassle-free gaming. That's a good thing in my opinion. It will strengthen the position of PC gaming and make the PC a more attractive target platform for publishers.

How is PC gaming not hassle-free on Windows XP? I've never had any problems with it. So I just can't se the advantages of "GfW". The only thing it does is optimizing/streamlining PC gaming to their Vista platform.

And that's a bad thing? How? Why? Just because MS is big and eevuuuhhllll and cuz Vista is teh d3v!L? Please... :rolleyes:

How can it not be a bad thing, when it only serves the purpose of forcing or incenting people to use Vista. You don't have any problems with Microsoft's marketing measures?

Of course it isn't ground-breaking but it is a commendable effort to keep the "crap" out by setting certain minimum standards for "Games for Windows" games (yes, I am aware that it doesn't work in all cases and with all games... that's why I said "attempt" in my first post and why I'm saying "effort" now).
But... sure. Feel free to boycot "Games for Windows". It's your right as a consumer to vote with your wallet. No problem at all. I was just trying to point out the clear advantages. That's all.

Relax brotha. We are only having a discussion.
But to me, those clear advantages you speak of, just aren't present. And "voting with your wallet" or being a political consumer is hardly an effective way to voice your concerns, though in an ideal liberal society it is meant to be like that. But I think you know just as well as me, that the world doesn't work entirely like that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom