RPGWatch Feature: Divine Divinity Retrospective

Not sure why they even included Ranger Sight in the game, it appears to be the exact same skill as Elven Sight except much less effective.

My recollection is that they provide the same effect, but one provides larger distance increase. But they are cumulative, so you can take ranks in both to see even farther, which is really useful for archers to pick off opponents at the edge of the screen early in the game. Take one rank of each so you can use those magic items that give +X skill ranks.

Personally, I never had any issue with the first dungeon. In fact, I liked it a lot!

divdiv is a great game, but the reason I'm posting is to share by fears about Divinity 2.

Why did they make it 3D? :(

Sure, they're catching up with the times or whatever.... But so much effort has to go into "next-gen" work; optimization, much harder to control the players point of view, bigger resource drain by far...

I'd have preferred these last few years that they'd been adding netcode to the divdiv engine, some better base classes and another 100 hour co-op campaign! You know? Just make more content!? gaah! :(

I think we'll be seeing a 20 hour long 3rd person game that plays a lot like wow and not a new epic oldschool RPG. A far smaller world, far less easter eggs. Just far less with a 3D engine, pretty much. Has to be less.

I just like 2D rpg games better - its not that my 9800GTX system cant run 3d games. =)

Graphics seem to get in the way of my imagination... I still play text based MMORPGs and when i see something like

You chop nasty winged demon for 75 damage!
The winged insectile demon crumples to the ground with a whistling cry.
You gain 1000 experience.
*Combat Off*

I see it all play out in my head with gore, acrobatics and over the top knockback that would probably be banned in a real game.

Soon it will only be the indy devs making 2D games. Commercial devs will have budgets into the 10s of millions and all they'll give you will be a short, 2 hour game experience with nice graphics - similar to a movie.

Or they'll put that short experience online with lures for the compulsive. get X, take it to Y, go back to X kinda quests and charge a monthly tax.

Or even with the way DLC is going we'll just be buying a basic engine... then buying each individual feature as though ordering extra pizza toppings. $2.50 for horse armor, $5 for a new sword... Soon your $6 pizza is costing $15 and you wish you'd just gone to a restaurant!

Well, yeah. Wish divdiv 2 was just divdiv 1 with netcode and MORE.

Personally, I never had any issue with the first dungeon. In fact, I liked it a lot!

divdiv is a great game, but the reason I'm posting is to share by fears about Divinity 2.

Why did they make it 3D? :(

Sure, they're catching up with the times or whatever.... But so much effort has to go into "next-gen" work; optimization, much harder to control the players point of view, bigger resource drain by far...

I think they pretty much have to make every game 3d now. If they made it 2d then the reviewers would brand it old fashioned, out of date...etc.

It may not be a huge resource drain. It depends on how old your system is. I pretty much buy a new mid-range computer every 3 years. I think this is a conspiracy between hardware mannufacturers and game publishers, to make you upgrade every 2 or 3 years ;)

I also loved the first dungeon. The demo had the first dungeon in it and it was the reason I went out and bought the game as fast as I could. One of the funniest moments in the game was when the two skeletons talked about what held them together and ended up dying. There were other moments that were pretty funny, but that and the orc saying the password to go to the council were by far the most memorable.

At the very end of the first dungeon when all the skellies attacked you it was difficult, but after a few retries I finally got them and made it out of the dungeon. So it wasn't that bad. I don't like games that make it a cake walk to kill everything in sight like Two worlds. Even on hard where you can actually die instead of being magically reborn, it is still an easy game.

Last edited:
I think they pretty much have to make every game 3d now. If they made it 2d then the reviewers would brand it old fashioned, out of date...etc.

Yeah, sure. (No irony involved.) I'm just waiting for some developer making an 2D "retro" game.

Back
Top Bottom