Grandmother shoots grandsons,self

Breivik who murdered more than 70 people in Norway was not mentally ill.

I specifically work with how flow of information (may) cause terrorism. The people I followed show a very similar pattern, regardless if they are in Afghanistan or in Norway. What you have is a moderately healthy person with some concerns and soft speculations about what's good in the world. They aren't evil, but the world doesn't feel right and perhaps they had some issues. A hard pill to swallow is that the terrorist is by average more moral and more idealistic and in the right environment they are the ones who become celebrated heroes who do what's right. They do what they do to protect what's good from those who do not understand.

One day they fall into a community that seem to provide answers. When they enter this community they are exposed to the community's alternate newsfeed that provides a scary black-n-white model of the world that lead them to begin to perceive the world differently. Now they have a (false) explanation about what's going on, but this doesn't seem to go well with former friends, co-workers and families even though it's so crystal clear to the person themselves.

The vital step comes from the self-exclusion, when they decide that enough is enough, they have to break the ties with them who do not understand (family, friends etc). You may also see a familiar pattern when they begin to break from the biased main-stream-media who hides the truth. Note here that Internet provide an entire world to a westerner who no longer need to interact with people around them. It's possible to isolate yourself to almost completeness.

At that point they are pretty much lost. They can now fully engage in their alternate reality with nothing that pulls them out (and those who try to pull them out may end up hurt). Go back 20 years ago and it was hard to find and recruit an isolated radical perfect for a job. Today they can spawn seemingly by their own.

I have heard this story told so many times. I have heard it from nationalists, Christians, Muslims, woman separatists, male-rights-activists, sect-members, communists etc.

Last edited:
I'd like to compliment you on those last 2 posts, JemyM. Informative without being pedantic, directly on topic, opinionated yet reasonable. Well done. Not that my "approval" means jackshit, but I spend enough time ripping your ass that it's only fair to acknowledge good work as well.

I'd like to compliment you on those last 2 posts, JemyM. Informative without being pedantic, directly on topic, opinionated yet reasonable. Well done. Not that my "approval" means jackshit, but I spend enough time ripping your ass that it's only fair to acknowledge good work as well.
It means a lot. Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom