How to transfer hard drive data between laptops?

D

Deleted User

Hello. Just wondering, what is a cheap way to transfer data from one laptop to another? I have 2 old laptops and I would like to transfer some of the data on those laptops to a new laptop. What's the best way to go about this? Thanks in advance.

I'd use an external USB HD such as a WD My Passport.

Thanks Corwin.

Turns out I can just hook all my laptops up to my internet router and transfer files via ethernet. Costs absolutely nothing except the cost of the ethernet cables :). Can't beat that.

An external HDD is something everybody should have. You can never have too many backup options.

Filetransfter over patch cables? How old are those laptops really, if you had to use cables instead of wireless connection to the router, those stuff should go into the junk.

External HDDs are rediculously cheap, I have one for a while and it was a "lifesaver" already a few times. Payed less than 100€ for 1Tb 2.5 inch drive back then - IMO a better investment than buying two fullpriced endless mobrespawn grinders.

There is one more option for backups - a cloud site. Most of them are not free, but some do give you a certain amount of space for free upon registering (for example 50Mb on rghost.net). I'm not using that option because I don't really need it plus the whole cloud idea stinks like smartphones.

Simple use a crossover cable.

Again, if you need a cable for file transfer between two laptops, you should throw those ancient machines into the trashcan.
Or better yet, con someone over ebay.

I could transfer files between the laptops via my wireless router but I heard it would be faster if I used ethernet cables.

Cables are probably faster, but I have 3 external HD's and use them all the time either for backup or file portability. They are WELL worth having!!

Actually, you wouldn't feel any speed difference, even if you had optics, you're still saving data on a HDD and the effective speed is the one of the HDD. ;)

Unless it's Intel Centrino wi fi crap chip inside one of laptops that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't or simply transfers things unbelievably slow. Did they ever make something that's not faulty after 486?

Back
Top Bottom