D:OS Div:Original Sin - Alpha for all backers & Update

Divinity: Original Sin

Galaad

Sentinel
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The title says it all, there's been a KS update posted a few minutes ago. Looks like the alpha will be available to all backers. Im happy for everyone else but a little disapointed that its what I ended up chosing among the rewards for our campaign :p. For backers who paid extra for the alpha\beta access on KS they offer refunds\credits through the Larian vault

The post, and the video:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/678463

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nzPS8jJWZZU

It seems to become common practice to let users do the alpha & beta testing.
Although this is a win-win for developer and volunteering gamers, I really don't understand why so many are doing this.
You indeed have a small voice for changes, but you'll probably spoil your gaming experience...

Although this is a win-win for developer and volunteering gamers, I really don't understand why so many are doing this.

Cheaper QA...sort of.

Also, from what I've seen of other Kickstarters, few people actually play the alpha/betas. I know that I don't play them that much (I got like 4 installed and didn't bother to install 3 more).

For some games i'd rather not play the alpha or beta but in this case I don't mind. In fact, I intend to make bug reports and such, I'd really like this game to be a success and if I can help somehow that'd be great.

Also by releasing the Alpha&Beta to all, it allows them to put it on Steam early access without angering their backers who supported them but would otherwise have gotten to try the game after late comers…and that way they get some monetary support to finance whatever delay may happen. I have no proof that they'll do it, but at least it keeps their options open :p As was mentioned it also helps with the QA (though I dont think it replaces professional QA).

I don't think many people will try to get refunds(at least I hope not), especially since they were automatically granted a credit on Larian vault if I understood the update.

To clarify my question: for the developer this absolutely makes sense of course. It's the beta-gamers I wonder about, wo sacrifice themselves for the rest of us.
Of course, I appreciate this. :)

You indeed have a small voice for changes, but you'll probably spoil your gaming experience…

I play a lot of early access and betas and it doesn't ruin my experience at all but I'm the kind of gamer that restarts and replays a game alot. Also I tend to keep it to the more tactical and combat heavy games like Blackguards, If the game is all about story then I agree it could negatively affect my experience.

As for the video, I guess I didn't get it. He said we'd have to wait, then the guy says no you get it RIGHT NOW!, then he comes back and says it will be a little wait again???

So when will we get it? RIGHT NOW! like the one guy said or later like the other guy said.

On my Larian vault page it still says not avialable yet.

The alpha isn't available yet, but will be soon.

So when will we get it? RIGHT NOW! like the one guy said or later like the other guy said.

On my Larian vault page it still says not avialable yet.

Before X-mas (if everything goes fine), so in about 2-3 weeks.

I've paid enough on the kickstarter to get the Alpha but I don't think I'm going to play-test it. There are just too few games like DD out there and I can't bring myself to spoil the experience of playing it as a completed game.

I beta-tested Daggerfall and while it was an interesting experience, after nearly a year of that I didn't much feel like playing the retail release.

Daggerfall disclaimer: Whenever I mention that I was a Daggerfall beta tester there usually is the inevitable 'wow you QA guys really sucked on that one.' So while I don't expect this disclaimer to stop any zombie attack on me, I do want to say up front that Bethesda knew of the vast majority of bugs reported after their commercial release but chose to release it anyway. Nothing any of us unpaid testers could do about it. And for the record, we did SCREAM a lot about the bugs and pleaded with Bethesda to not release the game in the condition it was released in.

@TheMadGamer

I was going to say "Dear god, it must have been a really nightmarish beta with all the bugs".

And for the record, we did SCREAM a lot about the bugs and pleaded with Bethesda to not release the game in the condition it was released in.
The electric company screaming about how they have to actually pay their electricity bill might have drowned you out. ;)

A game with a lot of story (and just one of them) would be rough to beta test. Strategy games or even MMOs if they have multiple stories strike me as much better. Still, I might be willing to bang around in this one for at least a few hours. Six hours of testing isn't going to spoil the whole game.

Before X-mas (if everything goes fine), so in about 2-3 weeks.

That's cool I have plenty to do now anyhow, but what was with the second guy yelling were getting it right now and there's a link for it?

Just a funny joke that I apparently didn't get?

Just a funny joke that I apparently didn't get?

I'll go for that, Jesse Cox doesn't work for Larian. He's a youtuber (aka youtube personality) and American...

Six hours of testing isn't going to spoil the whole game.

That's true. But looking as forward to this game as I am, I just want it to be totally unknown to me. Personal preference that's all.

I do like playing alphas and betas of MMOs I intend to play, because I can fool around with classes I won't play release, I'm not afraid to take chances with my character builds, and you get to learn what to do and not to do when the game is actually released.

For non MMOs, I'm definitely not interested in playing alpha/betas, you are bound to experience more than the usual bugginess, and no real gain.

Back
Top Bottom