Dishonored - Review Roundup

I have no idea what it is doing. That is one thing I do not like about Steam.

That is because it redownloads the entire game just to patch it. Hate that feature myself. Also love the 1gb+ patches on release. Shogun 2 was the worst.

Last edited:
I love the setting though, it's like Half-Life 2 meet Moby Dick (whales, whales, whales). Everybody is ugly too. Really different from the "market".

The first missions is linear, a few things hidden for you to discover (lots of lore books). The first few minutes is pretty much like Deus Ex HR intro (in a way), you don't have to kill everybody though. You can upgrade weapons/mask with money, so coins act like XP (the upgrade are things like more ammo reserve, more accuracy, zoom feature, etc).

The setting sounds pretty cool.

About the upgrades though: the coin thing sounds kind of weird. Do you have to go somewhere to get them done, or do they just instantly happen from an upgrade screen? Can you upgrade during a mission? I'm curious how (un)realistic that aspect is.

That is because it redownloads the entire game just to patch it. Hate that feature myself.

Huh? I don't think I've ever seen Steam redownload an entire game to patch it.

Last edited:
Huh? I don't think I've ever seen Steam redownload an entire game to patch it.
This used to be the case for some games, but it was fixed during 2011 with a client update that allows for smaller patches for large files

The way that Witcher 2 was designed, for example, required a huge 10-20GB file download for the first few patches as it would replace an existing large file. At some point in 2011, the Steam client was updated and this was no longer necessary

This used to be the case for some games, but it was fixed during 2011 with a client update that allows for smaller patches for large files

The way that Witcher 2 was designed, for example, required a huge 10-20GB file download for the first few patches as it would replace an existing large file. At some point in 2011, the Steam client was updated and this was no longer necessary

Yeah steam patched the process but my games sometimes still have to be redownloaded due to corruption during the patching. It's better now but rarely happens still.

How is the hardest difficulty setting? Can you try it?

I could try it tonight, once I get back from work.

edit:

I redit the tutorial on Very Hard and resorted to kill almost all the guards. They are a lot more aware. One well placed gun shot is enough to kill though, still take about 2-3 swords slice for melee as well, but they hit much more harder.

The setting sounds pretty cool.

About the upgrades though: the coin thing sounds kind of weird. Do you have to go somewhere to get them done, or do they just instantly happen from an upgrade screen? Can you upgrade during a mission? I'm curious how (un)realistic that aspect is.

You have to talk to a guy in the "home base". He makes all your gear and can upgrade them (and you can purchase more ammo, grenades and traps from him too, with the same coins). When I said it was like XP, it's because there is a set number of "coins" per mission (you have to find or loot them) and you use them to get upgrades. The mission "log" is similar to the one from Alpha Protocol.

There is also items that turn into coins right away when you loot them as well. That is a bit unrealistic to me, but I actually didn't realize it, until I didn't see any of that stuff in my inventory.

Last edited:
I could try it tonight, once I get back from work.

edit:

I redit the tutorial on Very Hard and resorted to kill almost all the guards. They are a lot more aware. One well placed gun shot is enough to kill though, still take about 2-3 swords slice for melee as well, but they hit much more harder.

There is also items that turn into coins right away when you loot them as well. That is a bit unrealistic to me, but I actually didn't realize it, until I didn't see any of that stuff in my inventory.

I was playing on Hard last night and found it somewhat frustrating. I don't like replaying the same scenarios so will switch back to Normal for my next session. It will make it easier to be stealthy and only kill when caught, and live with the decision without reloading. (Less body count, which I prefer, when it's easier to use stealth)

I'm not big on valuable items turning into coins immediately upon looting either, but I guess if they exist only to be sold later, why not cut out the middle man?

A missed opportunity for C+C I think:

There's a moral issue with a character in one of the early levels named Granny Rags. If you choose to finish her sidequest, you infect a bootleg elixer that is destined for people trying to avoid the plague. The poison you infect the batch with will instead give those people the plague, as well as the bootleggers themselves. There's even a piece of paper with a list of families that the batch is intended for. There's also a note saying that it's a weak elixer for profit only, but that's not reason enough for that kind of punishment. My main issue is that there is no other CHOICE to complete the quest except to do that, when they clearly wanted to provide a moral grey area for the player. You infect it to complete the quest and then get the item from Granny Rags. I chose not to go through with it but there's nothing in the game noting that. Maybe there's a positive consequence later but I doubt it.

I really enjoy the game world, the exploration, and the myriad ways to deal with your foes in the moment. And the closest Thief type gameplay I've seen outside of the Thief series itself.

There's plenty of gameplay if you explore, rather than racing for the target, I believe. I've spent 5 hours just doing the tutorial and one of the side-quests in the first mission, so I'd be very surprised if I didn't end up with >25 hours. If you just kill everything in sight and follow the quest marker directly, I'm sure it would be over in a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom