The Witcher 2 - Combat Overhauled But Not Dumbed Down

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
The Escapist has an aritcle on Witcher 2's combat system. There are some quotes from Tomasz Gop highlighting how the system is overhauled, but not dumbed down. Here are a few snippets from it:
The combat system in The Witcher was unusual to say the least, relying on a mix of styles, weapons and combos, backed up by potions and magical powers. Its hallmark was the rhythmic mouse clicking needed to build combos; good timing would turn you into an unstoppable dervish, whereas with bad timing you were more likely to just poke yourself in the eye.

That system is gone but the "fast" and "heavy" attack styles remain, this time mapped to the left and right mouse buttons to allow for switching between styles on the fly. Geralt will also rely more heavily on signs, the rudimentary system of magic used by Witchers, and will be able charge and aim his magical attacks. Unlike the first game, weapons other than the steel and silver Witcher swords will actually have a use and Geralt will be able to focus his training on weapons other than that traditional pair.

"The combat has absolutely not been dumbed down," Gop said. "Nor has the game been consolized."
More information.

"The combat has absolutely not been dumbed down," Gop said. "Nor has the game been consolized."
If they need to point that out chances are that it is.
I'm holding my tumbs that it isn't though, they haven't disappointed so far and I hope that they won't start now.

…. I am also crossing various appendages, but I note he did not mention the 'group' attack style? That definitely had its place, but maybe it has no place on a 2-button mouse :-o I was also one of the people who loved the who potion brewing/ingredient gathering aspect and I'd be very unhappy if that had been reduced or discarded. The Silver sword was also unique (and necessary) for a witcher - or they now saying that is no longer true? This game represents my most anticipated title of 2011 …please guys, don't bugger it up

Edit: seriously, did people have difficulty selecting combat modes with z,x,c? on a pc? Maybe we're further down the road to 'idiocracy' than I thought

Yes, the next DA2 is here. :D

On a more serious note: If they can make the combat better and the UI and load times not suck on release (like the original did) I'm so gonna love that game even more than part 1.

One way to get around performance requirements, is long load times. Hopefully, that isn't the case here.

I'm sure everyone knows recommended specs are rarely sufficient to play a game on max settings. But maybe they will be honest this time? ;)

Combat system in Witcher 1 , was a noble idea. But it was not extremely good.
I seen much better ones.

Seeing how much better everything else is in Witcher 2. I dont see why they didnt put same emphasis on combat.

I liked the combat in Witcher 1, was wholly original from my viewpoint and fun once you got the hang of it.

I'm going to give these guys the bemefit of the doubt until I see a good reason not to. From what I've seen, they've been much more forthright and customer friendly than your average company.

O dear, luckly iam getting old.
Liked the combat in TW1 alot after i got the hang of it.

Very encouraging! :)

I'm crossing my fingers. ;)

Are potions out?

Potions are still in the game and I'm pretty sure I saw the usage of a bomb in one video. Cat potions now allow you to see through walls.

Meditation can be done everywhere as well (and can be interrupted by outside forces).

They mostly changed the "load time" and the combat controls. For better or worst.

Magic was Aarduous and not just any igniot could use it.

:D :D :D

I gave Bioware the the benefit of the doubt until Masseffect 2 and Dragonage 2 tarnishes them for me. All Im saying is dont be surprised on release.

Maybe i'm naive but i'm not worried at all about this game. I loved the first one and am sure i'll love this one. I don't have a problem with more responsive combat. This is a 3rd person it's game not party based. Also I liked having the silver and regular swords but would give that up for full use of all weapons. I personally can't wait and if it's a stinker I will come back to the forums and take my beating :lol: but I really don't think it will be.

I really like the idea of fast on one button and hard on another... sounds good to me. Can't wait for this game!

I liked the combat in Witcher 1, was wholly original from my viewpoint and fun once you got the hang of it.

+1

I don't want every game I play to be the same. I enjoyed combat in The Witcher, even though it wasn't the game's strongest aspect.

I'm looking forward to weapons other than swords actually being effective this time.

The combat in the Witcher was definitely different, but not all that great after you learned it. There wasn't any challenge. Either you were prepared for the monster you were fighting, and won, or you weren't prepared, and lost. Not much more to it than that. So I'd like to see them do something different there.

IMO, the reason they have to emphasize no dumbing down is because every other RPG-making game company dumbs down every single game they make. I'll just take these Poles at their word.

Back
Top Bottom