Dragon Age - Interview @ 1Up

Kawika

Watchdog
A potentially epic MMO like Dragon Age deserves an equally epic cover story, and Games for Windows magazine has delivered by scoring an exclusive interview with BioWare Austin for their December 2006 issue. 1Up has the full interview, but here’s a snippet:
As you've likely heard, the December 2006 issue of Games for Windows magazine (in stores now) features a massive cover story on BioWare's upcoming RPG Dragon Age (check out some first details on the game here). But as part of the cover story, the guys at GFW also spoke with BioWare's Austin studio to get the scoop on its upcoming MMORPG. While the team isn't ready to talk details or world settings, they did go into a lot of the philosophy behind the game. As one of the best RPG developers in the business, the sheer prospect of an MMORPG from the studio is exciting, so read on for some intriguing comments.
More information.

Since when is Dragon Age being referred to/developed as an MMO?!

Yeah, I thought it was supposed to be an SP game!! I don't mind an MP component similar to NWN, but it's SP all the way for me!!

It's not. I noticed this newsbit at MMOWatch and not reading it properly, mistakenly moved it to RPGWatch. The article is actually an interview with BioWare Austin on their MMO, and a correct newsbit is now back at MMOWatch.

I'm confused, isn't this news item the same as this news item posted a day or so ago?

It's probably my fault for not labeling the first one correctly. I skipped past BioWare in favour of MMORPG News (General).

The way I understand it, 1Up and Games for Windows Magazine each conducted seperate interviews with BioWare Austin. Forgive me if I misunderstand the situation. I am now officialy confused lol.

No matter - these things will happen from time to time.

It would be easier if game companies would stop announcing unannounced untitled games years in advance and then give out useless, empty interviews where they can't actually say anything.

The way I understand it, 1Up and Games for Windows Magazine each conducted seperate interviews with BioWare Austin. Forgive me if I misunderstand the situation. I am now officialy confused lol.

As I understand it from the NWN2 review debacle, 1Up and GFW are simply made by the same company for different media.

Yes, Dragon Age (DA) is a single-player game. The snippet just stated that some guys working for GFW also talked a bit with Bioware Austin about their MMOrpg. (sort of a bonus treat for the persons who bought the GFW december issue). I remember reading the bioware forums about DA; there is a very (heated) debate on the bioware forums about DA, ranging from how big a party you can make, over 2d vs. 3d to the dialoque options being used in the game.

Yes, Dragon Age (DA) is a single-player game. ....I remember reading the bioware forums about DA; there is a very (heated) debate on the bioware forums about DA, ranging from how big a party you can make, over 2d vs. 3d to the dialoque options being used in the game.

Isn't the hot debate about whether it will port to console? When they announced this game, back when the earth's crust was still cooling, they made a big hoopla about it being an SP CRPG on their own IP, since Atari has the D&D rights. Now, it's been hinted, they will possibly port it, since there apparently is no such thing as a PC-only user base anymore.* *sigh**

At least porting a PC game to console has to be better than the reverse, doesn't it??!!

Dhruin, I have to apologize--I've been scrounging around the 'Net trying to find something to back up my allegations on the console paranoia, but apparently I must have imagined that I read a Gaider quote to the effect that they wouldn't rule out a post-pc-release console edition, along the lines of the Jade Empire pc version.

Of course, even that is a far cry from saying the game will be designed definitely to port to console--still, as you say, it couldn't be considered surprising, especially with the long development time.

Hopefully, they will stick to their original premise and create a primarily pc game--they obviously have a strong core market to sell it to, and if they are successful, I'm sure there will be DA II, III, etc.

(I need to pay more attention to my sig;) )

Back
Top Bottom