Indie RPGs - 11 Differences Between Telepath Tactics and The Battle for Wesnoth

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Craig Stern is giving his views on the eleven differences between Telepath Tactics and The Battle for Wesnoth, which can be viewed as similar games. This is what Craig mentions on why to begin comaring them anyway:
There is an argument to be made that this isn’t even a legitimate question to ask. Even if the games were similar, what would be the harm in having more than one game in a similar style on the same platform? Ask this sort of question of virtually any pair of similar games, and it sounds transparently silly. “We already have a ton of Fire Emblem games. Why do we need Fire Emblem: Awakening?” “We already have the Diablo series. Why do we need Torchlight?” The answer is obvious: variety. For someone who enjoys the core experience of these games, even the relatively small differences between Diablo and Torchlight, or between Fire Emblem: Awakening and its predecessors, are sufficient justification for the new games’ existence.
But let’s set that aside for a moment and talk about Telepath Tactics and The Battle for Wesnoth specifically. I was actually confused when people first started asking what the difference was; it is only a slight exaggeration to say that this is like demanding to know the difference between Risk and Chess! These games are about as different as two games in the same subgenre can be.
More information.

Last edited:
I don't know these games from personal experience. I would assume that it's analogous to say that all whiskey is alike. Not so, you can choose between Irish, Scotch, Canadian, Bourbon, Corn, Rye, or Southern Comfort. They are all whiskey, but decidedly different, even within their variety. Just look at all the varieties of Scotch. The more, the merrier I say. Same with games in any particular vein.

I don't know these games from personal experience. I would assume that it's analogous to say that all whiskey is alike. Not so, you can choose between Irish, Scotch, Canadian, Bourbon, Corn, Rye, or Southern Comfort. They are all whiskey, but decidedly different, even within their variety. Just look at all the varieties of Scotch. The more, the merrier I say. Same with games in any particular vein.

Or like saying that Heroes of Might & Magic is the same as King's Bounty. I love both and welcome more iterations of both with open arms.

I might give telepath tactics a go then. Vaguely trying to give wesnoth a go again on the ipad but the randomness is just too depressing, I hate save & reload on a regular basis but it's hard to avoid.

I might give telepath tactics a go then. Vaguely trying to give wesnoth a go again on the ipad but the randomness is just too depressing, I hate save & reload on a regular basis but it's hard to avoid.

Wesnoth is terrible outdated on ipad, it's not being updated any longer and hasnt been for over a year, PC version gets regular updates + it's free.. kinda shitty.

Back
Top Bottom