The Memory of Eldurim - A Open World ARPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Memory of Eldurim is an Open World ARPG game in development by Liminal Games. The game will be on kickstarter soon so except more coverage in the following months.

For now I have a few videos, and the developer also has a short demo.

What is The Memory of Eldurim?

The Memory of Eldurîm is an open world action RPG. Its closest relatives are game from the Elder Scrolls series. It is, however, distinct from these.

How is The Memory of Eldurim going to be different from other games in its genre?

Our game is going to be different in many ways. For a full list read our long “Philosophy of Design” page. But what we are really striving to accomplish is to make a game that is fun in every aspect. Some games make exploring fun, but fighting to level up is a chore; some games have really fun combat, but then the story line is uninspired. We really want to make a game that is fun.

What can you say about the story line?

Story is extremely important to us. In fact, it’s so important that we have dedicated a lot of time to developing it – a LOT of time. We are not just going to present a sequence of events to you but a story that contains meaningful characters and a truly important message that we feel you’ll really enjoy. Read some of our short stories to start getting into it now. Also, we don’t know what the future holds but we need to tell you that our story line is planned out far beyond where this first game will end. We hope that we will be able to continue this story in the future with subsequent games – full blown games – not cheesy DLC. (We don’t like DLC, we want you to pay for the game once and get boatloads of content updates, really, that is what we want to happen.)

What platform will you release on?

Initially The Memory of Eldurim will be a PC only game for Windows. Depending on what response we get and how things play out, we would certainly consider a release on Xbox One and PS4. If certain Engine restriction are removed we would also be very interested in a Linux and Mac version. That being said, the PC version will always remain uncompromised in regards to control, UI layout, and updates.
More information.

Last edited:
I can't stop looking at that terrible Ace Ventura neck effect, when the character moves. I hope they fix that ASAP. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing how it does on KS.

I can't stop looking at that terrible Ace Ventura neck effect, when the character moves. I hope they fix that ASAP. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing how it does on KS.
Don't worry they are only a team of five people right now, and none of them are good at animation. They will hire one if the kickstarter is successful.
Unfortunately, we are not very good animators, so the current animations are very much placeholders. We are working to tighten up combat, and implement a combo system, as well as a timed blocking system.

Reminds me more of the Gothic or Risen games than the Elder Scrolls games. I wish them luck in their upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

Looks very promising, a bit like gothic indeed. I am taking a leap of faith' , gonna support them.

Last edited:
WOW! Nice and they don't even consider this KS-ready yet. Definitely worthy of a good KS campaign. Let's see what they can do.

Reminds me more of the Gothic or Risen games than the Elder Scrolls games. I wish them luck in their upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

Actually gothic was the first thing which came into my mind when I watched the footage. And thats not a bad reference at all! :) I hope those guys succeed!

edit: ah they already commented hiring a professional animator. :)

they don't even consider this KS-ready yet.
And that's the reason I'll support it when it gets on KS. Regardless my disliking of "arpg".

The Elder Scroll references is probably more because of how the skill system work (raise through usage). It does look like Gothic, but it might be the animation.

I will keep on eye on this when it goes up on KS.

Stopped the video at 2:50. When the guards helped the protagonist fight the baddie I was sold. It did remind me more of Gothic, and hopefully Edurim will have the same type of excellent atmospheric music.

I'm bummed though. I've been scanning the net looking for an RPG to play and this fits the bill perfectly but they haven't even started their KickStarter

I see a problem with the graphics in combination with having a very small team.

Having a third person or first person open world RPG in 3D is the most demaning graphics wise.
Retro sprite graphics like in Eschalon are much easier to do on a "decent level". Also a more isometric perspective like in Driftmoon lets you overlook details.
But in this game it will look cheap just because the decoration in the house isn't good enough. It demands much more quality and detail than the other perspectives. Will be very hard to provide that with such a small team.

I like how the combat works. From the video it looks much more "direct" than in games like Witcher 2 or console games where you are "locked" in an action and then need to wait for a second or two until this action was performed.
On the other hand this also can be a trap resulting in very boring combat where you can find out very exploitative moves, like running backwards while attacking all the time or circling around the enemy without him attacking back. Not saying that this is currently possible (didnt check the demo) but a system like that is very vulnerable for such flaws.

I see a problem with the graphics in combination with having a very small team.

Having a third person or first person open world RPG in 3D is the most demaning graphics wise.
Retro sprite graphics like in Eschalon are much easier to do on a "decent level". Also a more isometric perspective like in Driftmoon lets you overlook details.
But in this game it will look cheap just because the decoration in the house isn't good enough. It demands much more quality and detail than the other perspectives. Will be very hard to provide that with such a small team.

I like how the combat works. From the video it looks much more "direct" than in games like Witcher 2 or console games where you are "locked" in an action and then need to wait for a second or two until this action was performed.
On the other hand this also can be a trap resulting in very boring combat where you can find out very exploitative moves, like running backwards while attacking all the time or circling around the enemy without him attacking back. Not saying that this is currently possible (didnt check the demo) but a system like that is very vulnerable for such flaws.

Interesting points regarding a small team but:

1) I just re-completed MM7 & MM8 this year, so to me this "cheap" look, looks great.

2) I'm always looking for game combat exploits. I consider it like cheating in a real-life fight. You meet a guy who is about to kick you ass so you run away until you can throw a chair on top his head.

If the game play is like that video, I am perfectly content with the current art assets. They can bulk it up on the sequel.

2) I'm always looking for game combat exploits. I consider it like cheating in a real-life fight. You meet a guy who is about to kick you ass so you run away until you can throw a chair on top his head.
Like that?
Sorry, couldn't resist. ^^

I gotta agree, I think the look of the game is just fine. Please please spend your money on making a better game, and not waste it on how it looks. Honestly, the moment I fire up a new game for the first time, right after disabling the audio I usually tone down the graphics to bare minimums as well. The story is what will make me play the game to completion, not how it looks.

Their design directions do sound like a mix between Gothic (no scaling/dangerous areas that will kill you until you level up/prepare carefully for them) and TES (the skill system).

I am fine with the graphics and they obviously can only get better ;)

I would like to support them, alas I am kinda broke these days :-/

Still wish them luck on their KS.

Back
Top Bottom