STO - Gameplay Trailer

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Cryptic have released the first trailer for STO.
See Star Trek Online! Our debut trailer shows some of the environments, ships and combat you will experience as you discover the future of the Trek universe. Explore the final frontier as the captain of your own starship and adventure on planets, in space and inside ships!
This trailer is created with 100 percent in-engine gameplay footage. What you see is what you'll play!
More information.

Yeah, if you hit the video link in their media section they're both there.

Looks neat. I wonder how much the ratio of space VS planet is, since I am not much of a space explorer; too much "blackness" in space games, so I hope like in SWG a lot will be planet-bound.

The developers are too sure of themselves, based on the Star Trek Convention presentation I saw.

It's like they don't see this game as much of a challenge to pull off.

My prediction?

It will be mediocre at best.

Somhow I just cant get excited over this even though Im fan of both trek and space sims.

Star Trek was mostly about the interaction of the players (actors) in the series, not about either physical or space combat. Even exploration was fairly unimportant. I can see why you might have misgivings on this, I do too.

But, it looks ok in the trailer. I suppose if the lasers are always set to stun, it can last a while, otherwise it's going to be game over pretty quick for Kirk and crew.

Nah, they can set the phasers to kill and the players will still survive. Just bring down a couple dozen red-shirts, all of which have a taunt on auto-fire. It would be just like the TV show! ;)

Star Trek was mostly about the interaction of the players (actors) in the series, not about either physical or space combat. Even exploration was fairly unimportant. I can see why you might have misgivings on this, I do too.

But, it looks ok in the trailer. I suppose if the lasers are always set to stun, it can last a while, otherwise it's going to be game over pretty quick for Kirk and crew.

Yeah. I made a comment about this in another newsbit. Killing things to level up is not Star Trek I have a feeling this will be just another cookie cutter MMO with an expensive and well known licensing agreement behind it.

Nah, they can set the phasers to kill and the players will still survive. Just bring down a couple dozen red-shirts, all of which have a taunt on auto-fire. It would be just like the TV show! ;)

I LOL'ed!

Seriously, I think Cryptic could make a good game. It is way to early to start any doomsaying or what. Trek has a huge community, and as you can see with SWG even a terrible game can survive with fan, so much more a halfway good one. I am sure many will follow STO's development closely. I am sure it has a chance to attract even potential players who usually dont play MMOs.

Back
Top Bottom