Dragon Age 2 - Full Reveal Imminent?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We know further Dragon Age products are underway with both financial news and a teaser card in Awakening referencing a new DA game early next year - assuming a full sequel isn't much of a stretch but we don't know for sure. IGN and Kotaku believe Dragon Age 2 will be fully revealed tomorrow, following a couple of indicators today. First, an EA announcement on Warhammer Online mentioned DA2 in the corporate stuff at the end. We received the PR ourselves but didn't read the fine detail because we don't cover MMOs any more. Checking again...
About BioWare
BioWare develops high quality console, PC and online role-playing games, focused on rich stories, unforgettable characters and vast worlds to discover. Since 1995, BioWare has created some of the world's most critically acclaimed titles, including Baldur's GateTM, Neverwinter NightsTM, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old RepublicTM, Jade EmpireTM, Mass EffectTM and Dragon AgeTM. BioWare operates in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada), Montreal (Quebec), Austin (Texas) and Fairfax (Virginia). Currently announced projects at BioWare include the development of ongoing downloadable content for Mass Effect 2TM, one of the highest rated video games of all time, Dragon Age 2, the highly anticipated sequel to 2009’s “RPG of the Year” Dragon Age: Origins, and the story-driven massively multiplayer online game, Star Wars®: The Old RepublicTM.
Emphasis mine. Then the BioWare twitter feed produced this:
2morrow will be a great day for BioWare fans. Just sayin'
Well, not long 'til we find out.

More information.

It has been revealed.
Not much information for now, except that they've improved the graphics and there is a fixed protagonist, a-là Commander Shepard.

Reading some information on the forums, you're forced to play a human character called Hawke (albeit male or female), much like ME, The Witcher, Gothic etc. Not that those games weren't great, but it's a bit disappointing that RPGs in which you fully create your character are basically dead now. Looks like all the people who whined about DAO not having a voiced PC got their way.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I wouldn't be surprised if real-time with pause is gone too, replaced with action-hybrid combat like every other RPG nowadays.

...while introducing a more dynamic combat system
...a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world

A little bit of EA mixed with the trite Bioware formula = fast sequel. Color me less than enthusiastic.

…hm fast turn-around time = heavy re-use of existing assets/engine … so, a glorified expansion ? what do they mean by "more dynamic combat"? That sounds like code for "action RPG". That would be sad, since despite its flaws DA:O was fairly faithful to the strategic phased-turn combat model of yore and clearly a lot of people *liked* that, based on sales. So why mess with that? I suppose all there real personpower is devoted to churning out bitty DLC, so they have no time to make a worthy successor ;-) Hopefully the press release is over-simplified - the better part of a year to see how this turns out…

We are amplifying the things that made Dragon Age: Origins such a huge success while introducing a more dynamic combat system, improving the graphics, and telling the most important story in our world.

I am still not that far in the game with my fist char, but I would be very sad if the sequel turns out to be bad, I like the system.
But i wont start writing it of, even as they change it, it can still be a great game.

March 2011?

That has to be one of the fastest made sequels to a crpg that I can recall…

Well, if you discount the last few months of DAO's development, which were mostly spent porting it to the other platforms it it isn't too different from the time it took them to make BG2, less than two years.

Was Mass Effect 2 more successful than Dragon Age: Origins? FWIW, from all appearances, Dragon Age has generated far more interest on Gamespot.

Why are they messing with a successful formula, unless it is to save money?

Was Mass Effect 2 more successful than Dragon Age: Origins? FWIW, from all appearances, Dragon Age has generated far more interest on Gamespot.

Why are they messing with a successful formula, unless it is to save money?

Make it accessible to more people (buyers)

aka - dumb it down

I guess we'll have to wait and see. The part I like about the announcement is the fact that the story is going to play over 10 years, wich could lead to an interesting story and gameplay elements. The fact that it's a fixed character doesn't necessarily bother me that much since a lot of great RPG's have fixed characters also. But it seems to be a break from the whole 'Baldur's Gate Spiritual Successor' thing... Something that bother's me more is the fact that this sequel seems to forget about the character we played in the first game. What's the point then of the first game? Is it just an introduction to the Dragon Age Universe? What will be the tie-in with the first game? (I'm not going to make speculations since I don't want to give spoilers...)

Well, if you discount the last few months of DAO's development, which were mostly spent porting it to the other platforms it it isn't too different from the time it took them to make BG2, less than two years.

8 months shorter actually.

I only wish that DA2 ends up being anywhere near as good as BG2, but I wouldn't bet on it…

What will be the tie-in with the first game?
Morrigan most likely. Maybe Duncan too. And there'll sure be mention of a Warden from the first game. And the stuff you did Origins will probably translate to the sequel.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. The part I like about the announcement is the fact that the story is going to play over 10 years, wich could lead to an interesting story and gameplay elements
I don't like much that whole "story spanning over an entire decade" talks. It sounds interesting, but it wouldn't be good for roleplaying - player's character's bound to change, he wouldn't be the same guy from the beginning, and you wouldn't be there when that change happens.

Back
Top Bottom