What are you reading?

I'm going Onslow… You seen "Keeping ut the appearances". The guy married to Hyacinth's sister? Somewhat overweight guy, sitting just wearing a singlet (and pants) in front of the telly all day long. That's Onslow, who at night, in his bed reads … advanced particlye physics!

Well, I'm not reading physics. And I'm not gaining weight. And although I do wear a singlet, I also have a (black) shirt covering it. But, I HAVE taken up Mathematics again. At the moment I'm rereading/expanding on what I've forgotten in calculus and algebra. It doesn't take to much effort, fortunately. After that: differential equations and number theory. I suppose. I never went far in exploring thos subjects. It's time, I think.

I can't claim it makes me a better person, or that I gain more insight in humanity (although math do in some ways affect my way of thinking). Most of all it's interesting and it's great fun. Quite relaxing as well, at this particular moment in time.

Recently finished Under the Dome from Stephen King. great book.

Currently reading The kindly ones by Jonathan Littell. Originally written in french, but now also available in English. It follows a german SS officer during WWII on the eastern front. It's a fiction, but has been stuffed with historical facts to such a degree that it could have been a real journal.

I'm not entirely sure about this book yet. I'm about 100 pages in, so can't form a real opinion. But after some checking on the internet, I found the reviews rather mixed. Some find it amazing, others find it an atrocity.

Here is a quote from Michael Korda;
"You want to read about Hell, here it is. If you don’t have the strength to read it, tough shit. It’s a dreadful, compelling, brilliantly researched, and imagined masterpiece, a terrifying literary achievement, and perhaps the first work of fiction to come out of the Holocaust that places us in its very heart, and keeps us there."

Michiko Kakutani, however, says the following;
"Indeed, the nearly 1,000-page-long novel reads as if the memoirs of the Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Höss had been rewritten by a bad imitator of Genet and de Sade, or by the warped narrator of Bret Easton Ellis’s “American Psycho,” after repeated viewings of “The Night Porter” and “The Damned.”

Anyone else picked up this book? And if so, what did you think of it?

I just finished Side Jobs by Jim Butcher. It's a collection of Dresden File short stories published in various other collections as well as a story that continues directly after the ending of Changes.

Highly recommended especially for Backup (Thomas centric story), Love Hurts and Aftermath(Murphy centric story).

Fortress of Frost and Fire (The Bard's Tale #2) arrived this morning, so I'm going to be reading that.

Yaaaaaaaaaay, throw away fantasy! :D

Currently back to the Malazan Book of the fallen series by Steven Erikson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

On book 7 "Reaper's Gale" (1200 pages of goodness here I come lol)

One of, if not the most, complex work of fiction I've ever read. Each book throws the reader into a foreign setting and expects you to keep your head above water long enough to catch your breath and get your stride and finally get moving in the right direction. It's not what I'd personally call an "easy" read or beach book…plenty of those out there if that's what you're in the mood for…I know I certainly like a Koontz or King book every now and then myself :)

But if you want a work (10 main volumes with the last book getting ready to print) that will challenge you and allow you to experience a world so complex and amazing, a work that makes you study the names and histories and cultures of race you've never heard of, that will leave you breathless at times and furious and sad and joyful…a work that will actually change you for it's reading (imo for the better) then this amazing journey/work is for you!

It has become my standard by which all other works of fiction compare…there simply is not another Epic series that I'm aware of that that hits the mark so consistently and completely. (Tolkien, Martin, Jordan, Donaldson, Williams…all shine as standard bearers…but Erikson is clearly the Captain imo")

Gardens of the Moon is your ticket to a world you never would of imagined was there. And after reading, you'll never want to leave lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardens_of_the_Moon

The first book (Gardens) really caught my attention and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but the 2nd book "Deadhouse Gates" solidified my fist impression and left me completely shocked and amazed at what I had stumbled across. No book has moved me with it's narrative and characters like this book did…and I've been reading for a good while now lol (44 yrs young btw)

So if you want something that will challenge you and entertain and amaze in equal parts give Gardens a go and begin your journey :)

Regards

Reading through Towers of Midnight - 13th and next-to-final book in the Wheel of Time series. I keep this website up while I read to help keep track of the characters.

The first book (Gardens) really caught my attention and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but the 2nd book "Deadhouse Gates" solidified my fist impression and left me completely shocked and amazed at what I had stumbled across. No book has moved me with it's narrative and characters like this book did…and I've been reading for a good while now lol (44 yrs young btw)
I actually gave the series a try due to several glowing reviews here. I'm wrapping up book 2 right now. I really enjoyed book 1, but I'm finding book 2 to drag just a bit. Iz kinda like a Robert Jordan book--a very good read generally in need of a 100 page prune.

About halfway through Pirate Latitues by Michael Crihton. It's well written, as you would expect, but I'm not sure if there is a point to the story. It might just be an adventure story, but there keep being hints of something bigger so I am not sure.

I've been reading through James Rollins Sigma Force series, but took a break to read Pirate Latitudes. I'm done with Black Order and will be reading the Judas Strain next. I've actually read the latest two in the series (Last Oracle and Doomsday Key), before going back and starting from the beginning. I really like the series. It has just enough Clancy in it to keep the action interesting, but then it has the almost sci-fi aspect of the myths/supernatural that they are investigating.

Fernando Pessoa's Book of Disquiet. And have been for some time.

It's brilliant and unique, but I seem to keep putting it down and forgetting where it is.

Currently plowing through Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Just finished Naked Empire and about to start on the next.

It's been an okay read so far... Not great, but okay. :)

Just started reading Dead Space: Martyr

deadspace_martyr.jpg

It's a prequel to the Dead Space series, and gives some insight on what started it. I'm only about 20% through, but I'm finding it to be a great read so far.

I'm halfway through The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, Book 12, part 1/3) by Brandon Sanderson (who's finishing Robert Jordan's final vision after his untimely demise).

Love it so far, it's almost been too long since I read book 11, but it was easy enough to get back into the world. A lot of stuff is happening. Too bad I can only read in small chunks these days while on the bus).

I'm already thinking about what to read next. There's still some Feist books I haven't read yet (since 2001 or so) and I'm eager to get back into his Midkemia universe too. Or a change to a sci-fi story? Choices, choices.

I own a smartphone now and use it for reading, which is absolutely great, because I always have it with me.

I'm already thinking about what to read next. There's still some Feist books I haven't read yet (since 2001 or so) and I'm eager to get back into his Midkemia universe too. Or a change to a sci-fi story? Choices, choices.

I very much recommend Feist. I simply devoured his Empire trilogy (that he wrote together with Janny Wurts). He's one of my favorite fantasy authors (along with Robin Hobb).

I'm starting a re-read of all his books once I get through the Sword of Truth series. And man, I really can't wait to start. Still haven't read his last three books or so...

While I like Feist and have read all his books, I keep coming back to Modesitt. I must have re-read all his stuff at least 3 times. I think his Imager series would make great films too.

Modesitt? Got any particular recommendation or reading tips for the uninitiated, Corwin?

I just finished Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. Great book, not too long compared to the books I usually read. Some interesting philosophical musings in it, too. Just the way I like my Sci-Fi. Got lost only once when it was all about platoons, batallions, companies, regiments and all sorts of military ranks. I watched the film 12 years ago and didn't remember too much, but I heard it was fairly different anyway.

Alternating classic fantasy with sci-fi works nicely, so I'm going to keep doing it.

Next up my ever changing list is Towers of Midnight, book 12, part 2 in the Wheel of Time Series, which I noticed has been out since November last year. Yay me! :D

Last edited:
Tips? How about read EVERYTHING he's written!! :) OK, his most famous series is Recluse. You can either read it in the order he wrote it, or in chronological order, whichever you prefer-it doesn't really matter. The first he wrote was The Magic of Recluse. The first in time order was Magi'i of Cyador. His other brilliant series is The Imager Portfolio; the first of which is called Imager. He also has several other excellent series. Check out his main website: http://www.lemodesittjr.com

Like Corwin said, you can't really go wrong, but I'd start with the Recluse series. It's interesting to me because most of that series is very similar plot-wise, but somehow each book feels fresh and interesting.

I have been reading the first law series by Joe Abercrombie. Its really good. Its a relatively new series, and I was surprised at how compelling it was to me, (I have read tons of fantasy and am a bit jaded) The books are - The Blade Itself, Before they are Hanged, and Last Argument of Kings.

The character development is the heart of the book, and what makes it so fun to read, deep characters with rich personalities. The one niggle is the author uses modern swear words, which can be jarring since I don't expect words like F--- and SH--- in a mostly traditional fantasy novel, but you get used to it. Anyway, for jaded fantasy fans looking for something new and fresh, I recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom