Alpha Protocol - Preview, Trailer @ GTTV

Actually, DeepO, it does look to me like certain people on this thread are making quite far-reaching conclusions about the game based on the trailer. I find it particularly amusing that you can damn the dialog and voice-acting based on a six-word (!) clip.

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ear."
"To be or not to be."
"Royale with cheese."
"I am your father!"
"Who's on first?"

Meh. Right?

I have to agree with PJ and JDR on this one - there's no need to jump to conclusions before seeing more of the game. I very much doubt seeing a 10 second clip of PS:T would blow me away (especially of the combat!), but it was written by the same guy that is behind Alpha Protocol, so I really think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. He's earned it.

Actually, DeepO, it does look to me like certain people on this thread are making quite far-reaching conclusions about the game based on the trailer. I find it particularly amusing that you can damn the dialog and voice-acting based on a six-word (!) clip.

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ear."
"To be or not to be."
"Royale with cheese."
"I am your father!"
"Who's on first?"

Meh. Right?

I believe you were refering to me with "far-reaching conclusions". Indeed they are far-reaching but I believe that Obsidian was counting on a response to trailer so amongst all those happy-gamers like you, there is me. Not so much happy. As Corwin pointed out that the trailer may have been targeted for totally different audience than me. Thats fine with me, but if so then Obsidian and you guys shouldnt be suprised when I say I dont like what Ive seen.

Possibly it also means that my gaming days are coming to an end, because for 3 years the only game that made me go "woohooo!" was The Witcher and probably it was rather because I am a very big fan of Sapkowski's books than the game itself. So maybe I am too much of a malcontent.

So maybe I am too much of a malcontent.

No, but you do seem to have the annoying habit of thinking that people are refering specifically to you when they're not. Take a look around, and you'll see that there are others with similar views.

No, but you do seem to have the annoying habit of thinking that people are refering specifically to you when they're not. Take a look around, and you'll see that there are others with similar views.

I disagree. First of all I wasnt "offended" by your post, I just asked what is there to be promising about the game for people who are interested in RPGs. Though when I read my "I have a right to disagree" it did sound somewhat on the offended side. But I believe PJ really did reply to my concerns about voiceacting and writing(provided only I and DeepO complained about it). And had he been reffering only to DeepO would he write "people"?

But shouldnt we be rather flinging arguments from both perspectives rather than psychoanalising me? :)

I find it particularly amusing that you can damn the dialog and voice-acting based on a six-word (!) clip.

There was a bit more of voice-acting to be heard throughout this and the other recent preview and I disliked most of it, the six-word bit was just the most disastrous example.
Bits of script present were bland and cliché. As you pointed out, might be because lack of context but I sorta expected to see a good punchline or two even in these previews, being it an espionage game and all.

I´m interested in this game for the sole reason Obsidian and Avellone are on it, but reading some more recent interviews gave me rather mixed feelings and these previews haven´t stirred them positively either, that´s all.

No definitive conclusions yet.
"Naturally." :)

JDR13 said:
That's just it though, nobody is really focusing on you at all....

No, not at all...

No, not at all...

Congratulations, if it was your goal to garner attention in the first place, as it appears, then you have succeeded. :thumbsup:

And whats there exactly to be happy with?
I may not be the targeted audience and its fine with me, but I still have right to say what I dont like about AP, dont I?

I believe you were refering to me with "far-reaching conclusions".

But shouldnt we be rather flinging arguments from both perspectives rather than psychoanalising me? :)

And had he been reffering only to DeepO would he write "people"?

Um....no. He wrote "people" because he wasn't trying to single out an individual. It's really not that hard to comprehend. ;)

I just wonder whats the difference if he had or had not in mind my comments.

Its obvious that his stance is completly different than mine if AP is concerned. So Ive tried to argue with him...but then out of a sudden I am an attention wh.e . And rather than disscusing trailers I end up with an argument with you wether or not I need attention from you guys...Really, as of now it seems to me that derailing threads has become an art in itself around here. And people complain about RPGCodex.

Prime Junta said:

JDR13 said:
Um....no. He wrote "people" because he wasn't trying to single out an individual. It's really not that hard to comprehend.

Yessss...Now when I carefully read into those lines I start to see that it was soo foolish of me to think he could have reffered to me. He clearly couldnt have had me and my comment on his mind. No, no chance at all.

To be honest I tire of this absurdal disscussion with you. Why dont you just reply, if you want to, to my gripes with AP rather than continue to try to make me believe I need attention from you.

So as for me its EOT, unless you want to finally start sensible disscussion about AP.

"Thorton is an agent who every 15-year old could be after 10-years of difficult training" or something like that.
That's a paraphrasis from Snow Crash, a book which came out in 1992 when today's 15 year olds were all of -2 years old. The (original) quote was about how everyone up to a certain age believes they could become the most badass mofo in the known universe (ie Mr Thorton) if they just had the motivation and put their mind to it. It really isn't evidence that it's being aimed at 15 year olds, quite the opposite since I doubt most 15 year olds would have heard of Snow Crash, let alone read it.

Interesting. If so then I must congratulate Obsidian devs on well played marketing. On one hand younger gamers will see it as a promise that the game will allow them to feel like Jason Bourne, or any other stereotypical hero from action movies. And on the other hand more mature gamers, who dont seek in AP just another hack&slash if I may say so, shouldnt take it as it means anything in particular: "cause Avellone just paraphrased well known and respected writer".

Last edited:
Uh, a bit LTTP, but... yeah, nessosin, I was thinking of your and DeepO's posts when writing mine. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything. I just thought you guys were drawing a quite a lot of conclusions from very little data. Especially as there were one or two fairly clever lines of dialog in the small amount of published material. Like the "You mean, like NOW?" reply to the minder's dead-serious schooling about what to do if you're imprisoned and drugged.

Uh, a bit LTTP, but... yeah, nessosin, I was thinking of your and DeepO's posts when writing mine. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything. I just thought you guys were drawing a quite a lot of conclusions from very little data. Especially as there were one or two fairly clever lines of dialog in the small amount of published material. Like the "You mean, like NOW?" reply to the minder's dead-serious schooling about what to do if you're imprisoned and drugged.

Really you didnt hurt my feelings . Its good to know I am not completly self-obssessed :D

Wow. It's funny I think some are only happy with indie products and give them a free pass on alot of things that comercial games get blasted for. (not saying that indie games are bad by any means, most of you know I support indie companies.)

I think it is interesting when one of the first complaints is about graphics(not singling anyone out) when at one time the line was that rpg gamers did not care about graphics but gameplay...

Back
Top Bottom