Shadowrun: Dragonfall - New Release Date

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
They also have more information in a new kickstarter update.

Link-https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts

The Dragonfall development team pushed incredibly hard to hit our original January release window and our playtests have been a lot of fun! However, a few rough edges still remain, and we’ve decided to extend our polish and bugfixing time to ensure that we deliver a great Shadowrun experience. We know you’re excited to play the game and we’re confident this will allow us to ship the best campaign we can!

Shadowrun: Dragonfall will be FREE to Backers and you will receive the same number of keys you received for Shadowrun Returns. For everyone else, Dragonfall will launch at $14.99 - in fact, it’s now available for pre-order on Steam at http://store.steampowered.com/app/272030. Please help us spread the word!

In other Shadowrun Returns news…

Shadowrun Returns Beta Version 1.2 is LIVE

We want to make sure you all know that the Beta for Version 1.2 of Shadowrun Returns is now LIVE on Steam. This version includes the new and improved Save Game functionality, including the ability to save in the middle of scenes, and a variety of fixes and improvements to the core game. If you’re interested in looking under the hood at those changes, be sure to read the Release Notes located on the Shadowrun Returns forum here: http://bit.ly/1jYXfrE. And feel free to jump into the Beta to help us test it! Here’s the best place to report any bugs you find. http://bit.ly/LZqteB

The update will be released to the public alongside the Dragonfall expansion, but v1.2 does not require the purchase of Dragonfall to use.
Localization Update

The German translation of Shadowrun Returns is still in process but has been delayed due to some production hiccups. We are working with our localization partner to ensure a high quality translation, and look forward to releasing it in an update that will coincide with the release of Dragonfall. As an added bonus, we are happy to announce we will also release a Russian and Chinese translation at the same time, February 27th, 2014!

As always, thanks for the opportunity to make this happen. We’re excited to get all of our hard work on Dragonfall into your hands next month!

Looking forward to it, I had a good amount of fun with the first part despite some flaws. I might wait for this to go on sale though, as I already have plenty of games to play before this one.

RPG gamers "waiting for sales", buying used and/or pirating is what killed off our classic old school RPGs. Only a small group going well beyond the average price (ie on Kickstarter) brought them back. Maybe RPG gamers would learn the mistakes of the past, but that would mean changing and evolving and we know they can't have that. Seriously though, I'm proud I backed this on Kickstarter despite all the "nag"ative assholes saying KS is a rip off and that all the games will never get made. Hell, I even got this expansion for super cheap.

Honestly, everything comes down to money. There's a reason Spiderweb Software has ancient looking graphics and that's money. These developers cannot make these RPGS for free, and they wouldn't exist if some people didn't go above and beyond what everyone else pays. I understand the temptation to get games super cheap, and it's great that it's an option, but if you have ever, ever, complained about publishers/developers not caring about you and not making the types of games you like, then you are proving them right by getting them for 80% off, used, borrowed or free. Old school RPGs depend entirely on a small niche core group of us ponying up in order for them to exist. This is a democratic process, and those of us who "stay home" are saying they don't give a damn and are giving up the right to complain when these games stop being made again.

Lastly, As for having "plenty of games" check my Steam account, I'm probably more backlogged than most, but after having RPGs nearly disappear (other than typical RPG/FPS games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect or the Diablo clones) I am going to do my part so that the next great titles can be made, despite the odds.

RPG gamers "waiting for sales", buying used and/or pirating is what killed off our classic old school RPGs.
Huh? Back then, waiting for a sale was risky. You would have to hope you managed to find the game in the bargain bin when the retailer finally decided to take it off the shelf. And if the retailer decided not to bother with a bargain bin... no game for you.

The thing is, NOTHING killed off the old school RPGs. They evolved. New ideas came in and, if they were popular, stuck around. Not so good ideas went away (well, except for depth of field... but there's still hope). The audience changed, too. Games had to start appealing to people weren't smart enough to figure out high memory vs. expanded memory. Culture changes meant many people couldn't possibly pay attention to a game for more than 5 minutes without getting distracted.

Lastly, As for having "plenty of games" check my Steam account, I'm probably more backlogged than most, but after having RPGs nearly disappear (other than typical RPG/FPS games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect or the Diablo clones) I am going to do my part so that the next great titles can be made, despite the odds.
Uhh, no. If they want to do some sort of charity where we give them money then they make the best game they can with it and then give it away to everyone for free then I might do that. Otherwise, this is a straight up business deal.

RPG gamers "waiting for sales", buying used and/or pirating is what killed off our classic old school RPGs.

The same issue applies to all games, so why would it just kill off one genre? Zloth has it partly right, I think. The industry's race to produce stunning, high-speed graphics on video systems likely hurt the sales of slower-paced party-based CRPGS and adventure games.

I wasn't too impressed with the first game, but I did enjoy the combat, and I like the setting. If Dragonfall is less linear than SR like they claim, I look forward to playing it..

Niche markets require a more dedicated base of customers. FPS games and sports games are not niche genres. Hey, whatever. Just remember that you had a hand in the next RPG draught.

@Zloth, they "evolved"? REALLY? The action RPG is not a "new idea". Publishers just wanted every game to be a Call of Duty, and the niche western RPG market wasn't going to provide anything like that. No, the RPG genre pretty much up and died. The only games left were single player action RPGs. The majority of the 2000's was a wasteland almost bereft of good RPGs.

There is one reason the classics died and that is publisher greed. The increasing popularity of games created a shift in publishers to want to only appeal to the largest part of the audience so that they could maximize sales so out went more complicated, slower, more strategic games that don't go for mass appeal.

Niche markets require a more dedicated base of customers. FPS games and sports games are not niche genres. Hey, whatever. Just remember that you had a hand in the next RPG draught.

Since this seems to initially have been aimed towards me I would just like to add that I've supported 22 kickstarters, most of those old school rpg's and adventure games. I buy most of my games new, and did indeed buy shadowrun returns at full price at release. I do buy the occasional game on sale, and I don't appreciate you judging me for it. Be nice =)

@Zloth, they "evolved"? REALLY? The action RPG is not a "new idea". Publishers just wanted every game to be a Call of Duty, and the niche western RPG market wasn't going to provide anything like that. No, the RPG genre pretty much up and died. The only games left were single player action RPGs. The majority of the 2000's was a wasteland almost bereft of good RPGs.

You mean the next drought of underwhelming cash-grabs?

Ok, I can deal with that :)

By all means, I wholeheartedly apologize and ask for your forgiveness. It was a pigheaded judgement to make, and saying that I'm met too many people online who don't care, who go out of their way to save a dime on every game then whine when those very games stop being made doesn't change it being wrong to put it all on you. I also met my fair share of people who just outright attack Kickstarter despite never backing a single project, as if it's their holy quest to destroy the reputation of all developers who use crowdfunding.

Anyways, yeah, I was wrong. :)

DArtagnan… why are you here if all RPGs are underwhelming cash grabs?! People like you confuse me. You have nothing but hate for something you claim to be a hobby.

guenthar, EXACTLY, publisher greed. That's why crowdfunding is so thrilling and why I'm so for giving money to devs whenever possible. Everything we can do to keep franchises in the hands of the devs that understand them, the better for us all.

I came across very preachy and "high and mighty" but it's because I love the classic western RPG so much, and seeing a chance for new classics to make a return I don't want it to end. Sure Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment were underwhelming cash grabs, but they were some of the most imaginative, complex and outright fun cash grabs I've ever had the pleasure to be suckered by. If the new underwhelming cash grabs can be as underwhelming and cash grabby as those games, sign me up.

Pegasus excuse me for ruining the party, but why are you calling a piece of art, and by that I mean PST - a cash grab?

Cash grab would IMO be selling stuff that doesn't deserve to be bought at all, at least not for the price they ask. Take 99% of DLC out there as an example. Pure and simple cash grab, nothing more than that.

Oh and one thing. I don't care for saving dimes, I did support many KS projects and don't plan to stop with it. Maybe one or a few of those are just cash grabs. But so far I've enjoyed all released ones I've been involved into. They deserved my cash. They didn't just grab it, sell me worthless junk and run away.

@joxer, I'm assuming you only read one or two sentences of my post? I was referencing DArtagnan who called good old school RPGs an "underwhelming cash grab". I think the exact opposite. I think the new games like Wasteland 2, Eternity, Torment 2 etc are all going to be amazing games, along with the great titles that have already come out.

So, again, I don't think like DArtagnan does. I believe they're great games made by people who love the genre.

DArtagnan… why are you here if all RPGs are underwhelming cash grabs?! People like you confuse me. You have nothing but hate for something you claim to be a hobby.

You're easy to confuse if you let your imagination run wild like that.

I'm talking about Shadowrun - not all RPGs :)

Oh, and I don't hate cash-grabs like that, I'm just not impressed - and I don't feel like supporting them.

You threw a tantrum and berated everyone for no good reason.

Also, I actually bought Shadowrun full price upon release - because I expected more than such an underwhelming cash-grab.

@joxer, I'm assuming you only read one or two sentences of my post? I was referencing DArtagnan...
Sorry, I've completely misunderstood then. He's on my ignorelist so I don't see his posts and I droped in the mess without a parachute.

Apologies.

You're easy to confuse if you let your imagination run wild like that.

I'm talking about Shadowrun - not all RPGs :)

Oh, and I don't hate cash-grabs like that, I'm just not impressed - and I don't feel like supporting them.

You threw a tantrum and berated everyone for no good reason.

Also, I actually bought Shadowrun full price upon release - because I expected more than such an underwhelming cash-grab.

To be fair, wasn't "full price" like $20? (Unless you bought the deluxe edition with the soundtrack stuff). I think the problem with Shadowrun Returns is some people were apparently expecting a "full length" RPG (that is, something the same scope as an AAA title). Yeah "Dead Man's Switch" is (too) short, but a big part of the draw for SRR was them releasing the editor. There's already been some decent UGC (although most of it is a WIP) and it's all 100% free. Have you tried any of that? Now I suppose if you don't like the combat system or basic mechanics you wouldn't be interested… But anyone who watched the alpha gameplay video basically knew what to expect in that aspect.

I backed SRR on KS at the $15 level so I'm very happy with what I got for money. (And I'm still getting Dragonfall for free). Of course if I had paid $60 I would probably be rather disappointed but they launched the game at 20 bucks.

I just don't see how you can call SRR a cash grab, but call something like Skyrim good. Yes, Skyrim has great graphics, good soundtrack and a huge world but it's so BORING: A bunch of glorified fetch quests, lousy AI and terrible, clunky controls. That's more my idea of a cash grab. But to each his / her own, I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom