Gothic 3 Interesting experiment at work

At this time...no. We normally work under contract, but this is a pet project for the bossman. To be honest I'm not sure what we are doing is even legal without a contract. I'd have to ask the legal gurus, but I'm not sure anyone is allow to "inspect" any code without permission. I just do as I am told lol.

On a side note. I was told that our server based authorization system was going to be offered to PB as a highly secure copy protection alternative. Dunno if that every happened though. At one time I was told our system was used exclusively by the military and financial institutions. But whadda I know.

Damn...would be nice to see PB take on some honest help to optimize their code. Just think of it, we all could be playing a game that ran like a thoroughbred as opposed to a lame horse.

Did you guys use the console to monitor cache usage and tweak the cache settings?

Another idea from WoG: uncompress all game files.

What tool would be use it doesn't seem to be zip, maybe 7zip or rar?

Doesn´t matter if you don´t have a RAM-drive. ;) Some tool from WoG. It´s a trade-off between CPU cycles and HDD reading.

Yea…but what if there really is some kind of bizarre thing happening within the game core. No tweak or tool on earth will fix that except some good ‘ol fashion code reworking.

The only problem there is sometimes fixing one thing leads to something else breaking. :-/

Wow, after plowing through this thread I find myself hopeful and optimistic. Perhaps PB will release a patch that will resolve/improve upon a few performance issues? This along with a slew of bug fixes and a fair amount of game balancing would be great.

In line with performance issues, would disabling DOF and bloom increase frame rate? I can't really tell because when I do I find my character swimming through a sea of black blobs and missing textures (Yes I have the latest drivers for my gfx card). These graphical effects are novel at best, and I would probably enjoy the game more without them. I feel like a nearsighted light sensitive cave dweller when I play the game. I could go on with all of my other game related gripes, but I feel as though the voice of the forum has already done this. Stun-lock from the WBODs really has to go. I mean, having the ability shake off a very painful looking stab wound from a sword being rammed into my chest but not the strength to endure a few whatever-the-hell boars do to you with their nose is rather unrealistic as far as balance goes; unless they are magical boars with daggers for nose hairs...

Oh and by the way, Uriziel, your job kicks ass.

If you have an ATI, what works for me is Alt-Tab to the Desktop for 15 or 20 seconds, then back to the game, it seems to reset the graphics.

You mean they try to Save then Alt-Tab, thats strange haven't heard of that one.

Well as I mentioned ot try if for resetting graphics, don't see how it could corrupt a Save.
Worst could happen is, crash which G3 does anyway, I have ATI and it works for me.

Hope Uriziel has another update soon. :)

I have a AMD A64 4800+, 2x7900GTX and 2gb 2-2-2-5 ram.

The game runs ok in 1600x1200 x2aa x16qa and everything on max. I have done the important ini tweaks to increase cache etc but the rest I used to increase image quality instead of decreasing.

I have about 15 fps in the middle of the forest and 25+ when there's not alot of tree's around.

The game runs ok in 1600x1200 x2aa x16qa and everything on max. I have done the important ini tweaks to increase cache etc but the rest I used to increase image quality instead of decreasing.

I have about 15 fps in the middle of the forest and 25+ when there's not alot of tree's around.

IMO, 15fps isn't ok -.-
ok performance would be 25-30 when there is much to render, and 40+ when there's not alot around....
and the fact that it got those performance on a system like yours, shows how the game was scripted poorly.

15 fps on 7900GTX SLI??? You realize how ABSURD that is?!?!?!?!?!???

Yeah but look at those settings JemyM is using 16 x 12 thats alot of acreage on the screen at once, then 2aa by 16af with max settings.
You couldn't get better (proabably) in Oblivion either, even if you could turn on AA with a Nivida card.
Its a great machine and the game certianly needs to run better but its not like its that different.
Or am I jsut missing something?

Well... unfortunately the answer is yes. That performance is inexcusable and PB is totally out to lunch with this build.

Here is Oblivion, with HDR and Foliage, 7900GTX SLI at 1600x1200. Look at the chart at the bottom. Min FPS 34, High FPS 45 And BTW, HDR is more punishing than 2xAA combined with pretty much any level of AF.

15 FPS??? That's a total joke and its NOT funny!!!

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/page11.asp

I see people asking for updates, but frankly there is'nt much to tell. We ran the ATI tests and it yielded similar results. Framerates for the ATI card were marginally faster, but not by enough to matter(1-2 fps). A test with beta nvidia drivers on the original setup then yielded 1-2fps better than the ATI. The cards are a tossup really, and nvidia drivers have always been more stable.....so I'd stick with nvidia.

Duy is the only one still working on the G3 project. He is quite unimpressed with the code, and laughed at the patch. I'm doing tests on different PPU cards. Like the ASUS best as it's heat signature is better. Although one of these cards is not needed right now, that WILL change in the near future. The addition of the PPU will add tremendously to most gaming experiences. Next week an NV80 reference card should arrive for testing. We only have some sample DX10 coded games, which would be optimized for DX10 and NV80's core anyway....so I'm a tad skeptical why we are bothering to test it right now. We get paid, so whadda I know.

On a side note. The bossman got pissed and uninstalled G3 from his machine after patch 2. He also pulled everyone off the project accept Duy, who did'nt have anything important to do anyway. Not a good sign.

If NV80 is only scoring an additional ~4K on 3DMarks06 compared to a x1950XTX then I doubt it will be a silver bullet for G3. If you are seeing marginal gains on ATI then shaders arent the bottleneck anyway like they are in Oblivion.

Confucius say it aint the vid card: its a bad idea to load 2GB of world state into memory and start processing endless scripts in your game pump.

Todd you have to understand the the first NV80 cards are severely detuned. This is mainly a marketing strategy to be able to "improve" the cards every few weeks to fleece you outta more money to upgrade. The cards we test however, are NOT detuned....unlike what most reviewers get. Our info never goes public. We are hired by the various companies to test their hardware/software, and report directly back to them with our unbiased results.

Yeah but look at those settings JemyM is using 16 x 12 thats alot of acreage on the screen at once, then 2aa by 16af with max settings.
You couldn't get better (proabably) in Oblivion either, even if you could turn on AA with a Nivida card.
Its a great machine and the game certianly needs to run better but its not like its that different.

oblivion runs WAY better on my machine with 6xAA, 16xAF and HDR (i've got an ati card with the oblivion hdr+aa patch) on, all shadows on etc at maximum detail, and it doesn't stutter a bit
gothic 3 just plain sucks at performance :|

Back
Top Bottom