Legend of Grimrock - Dungeon Editor Beta Release

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Almost Human has called for players to test the Grimrock Dungeon Editor beta through Steam. Grimrock Nexus has also been set up, in anticipation of the incoming mods:
We have now been working on the Dungeon Editor and modding capabilities effectively for almost four months. From the get-go we knew that there would be lots of work ahead of us, because many things were hardcoded and we didn’t have a level editor when we were originally working on the game. Even so it still took us longer than we anticipated to get here.
The Dungeon Editor is now complete except for one thing. And we need your help with it. Yep, I’m talking about testing.
Because the scripting interface of the editor has so many features and the game has seen such a big internal overhaul to allow modding, testing everything is a major undertaking. So that’s why we announce the start of a short public beta today.
To participate in the beta you need to have a Steam account and the game installed on Steam. Why only Steam? Steam’s automatic update system allows us to do frequent incremental updates to quickly patch issues that may arise. Also we need to be able to isolate the development in a separate branch during the beta. In short, we can react to the feedback more efficiently and keep the beta as short as possible. After the beta has concluded the Dungeon Editor will be available on all available distribution platforms.
If you don’t have the game installed on Steam and would still like to help us, you can give us valuable feedback on the documentation and perhaps help by working on the model and animation exporters if that’s your cup of tea. We are also listening to feature requests about the scripting interface. Are there important functions missing? We know that many of you would just want to start using the editor right away, and we too are very eager to finally release this beast. So our intention is to keep the beta short and sweet and release the editor as soon as possible.
We also would like to announce the release of Grimrock Nexus. The kind folks at Nexus have been busy setting up the site and it should be fully operational today. With both Nexus and Steam Workshop supported we believe modders will be able to reach all of our customers who in turn will have a huge number of great mods to play.
To join the beta right-click on Legend of Grimrock in your Library of games in Steam and select Properties. In the Betas tab opt into the beta using the dropdown there. The Steam Client should then automatically download the beta.
We invite everybody to join in the discussions in the modding forum and help make the editor reach its full potential!
More information.

Just tried it and it's really easy to use and fun.

Much more simple than the Creation Kit. I made a complete dungeon in about 10 minutes. If you can draw a dungeon for a pen and paper game, you can make a mod for Legend of Grimlock.

Wait a sec…..if you didn't buy this on Steam, you cannot test it? Holy uncool.

-Carn

I cannot understand why people keep bitching about this and I bought it on GOG.

It's a beta. Does anyone remember what a beta is supposed to be these days?

I mean, they could have had a completely closed beta and nobody would have complained, but they opened it up to the only platform that allows immediate automated patches (in order to make sure all testers are using the newest version since they're fixing it as people use it) and that makes perfect sense.

Everyone will get the editor when it's ready. Nobody is being left out. It's a BETA. Betas, until extremely recently (when they started to be used as a marketing tool rather than real testing), have been limited.

Why are you whining?

I cannot understand why people keep bitching about this and I bought it on GOG.

It's a beta. Does anyone remember what a beta is supposed to be these days?

I mean, they could have had a completely closed beta and nobody would have complained, but they opened it up to the only platform that allows immediate automated patches (in order to make sure all testers are using the newest version since they're fixing it as people use it) and that makes perfect sense.

Everyone will get the editor when it's ready. Nobody is being left out. It's a BETA. Betas, until extremely recently (when they started to be used as a marketing tool rather than real testing), have been limited.

Why are you whining?

Hear hear!

I would imagine most people interested in making mods are going to want to link the game to their Steam account anyways, so they can upload their mods to Steam Workshop.

This game already exceeded all expectations in regards to how popular it was on release and I fully expect the editor thing to just push that even further.

Back
Top Bottom