Fallout 3 - Games for 2008 @ RPS

... Just how little do you think Fallout 1 & 2 sold? Wikipedia lists a source that says 3 million copies on Xbox 360 and PC, and I have read second hand comments lately about it selling 5 million total. I can hardly believe that Fallout 1&2 haven't sold at the very least 300 thousand copies over a decade and if I were to guess, I'd say it's closer to a million.

The 300k guess was in response to the 3 million figure, and the "closer to a million" guess was in response to the 5 million guess.

Long story short, I think Maylander and txa are severely downplaying the sales of the Fallout series in comparison to Oblivion.

I said "any of the Fallout games" - not the two games combined. I doubt either of the Fallouts sold more than 500.000 copies, or it would not have been a "cult classic", it would've been a major hit at the time, rivalling Baldur's Gate.

Oblivion sold 3.000.000 copies in 2006 alone, from the release in 20th of March through December (9 months):
http://www.elderscrolls.com/news/press_011807.htm

From their point of view, the folks over at NMA and The Codex are sort of working for Bethesda by helping focus attention on Fallout 3.

From what I understand, not quite. Not that it's not true, in a strict marketing sense, but this isn't just getting exposure for your product, it's also just getting positive exposure. There are reasons for that, which have to do with the balance of hype. From what I've heard, they're not really happy with NMA, at all. Dunno how they feel about the Codex.

If they took $100 from everyone who ever bought Fallout 1 or 2 ... they still wouldn't cover the costs of making Fallout 3.

Fallout 1 and 2 combined for 900k sales when BoS was being made, they're assumed to combine for over 1 million sales now. There's a lot of "same buyer" in there, obviously, but it's still at least 500k sales. 500.000 times a hundred is 50 million, twice the budget of a title like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

So, ehrm...no?

Not that it's comparable, I agree. Fallout had healthy sales for the time. Not cult, they sold hundreds of thousands of copies straight of the bat, that's not cult, it looks like cult now because the industry has grown, but it wasn't then, it was mainstream, if a weird kind of...

Morrowind has sold over 4 million copies since release, Oblivion I'd guestimate at 4-5 million. Not comparable numbers. Not comparable budgets for those games, either, it's a really silly debate to hold. Not that I wouldn't agree a sword & sorcery free-wandering RPG like Oblivion doesn't inherently have more mass appeal than a weird retro-50s PA game with heavy morality and choice and consequence like Fallout. But that's kind of the point, isn't it, and not really the question

Last edited:
Fallout 1 and 2 combined for 900k sales when BoS was being made, they're assumed to combine for over 1 million sales now. There's a lot of "same buyer" in there, obviously, but it's still at least 500k sales. 500.000 times a hundred is 50 million, twice the budget of a title like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

So, ehrm...no?

Cool - I love being wrong and learning something! I *assumed* it to be just above PS:T levels ...

Cool - I love being wrong and learning something! I *assumed* it to be just above PS:T levels ...

Well, Fallout has the distinct advantage of being very popular in Europe, especially Eastern Europe, where there are new editions being released and sold even now. That's why NPD numbers for Fallout are really, really inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom