Cyberpunk 2077 - Introduction part 3

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Mike Pondsmith provides part 3 of the introduction to Cyberpunk 2077, talking about the right team.
Which leads us at last to the Right Team thing. It was obvious from the start that the CDPR team was going to give us a true to to life rendering of our Cyberpunk® world—they were fans. Most of them had grown up PLAYING Cyberpunk® at a time when RPG’s of any type were far and few between in a then-Communist Poland. For many of them, this was a dream come true. So we knew the team loved the world as much as we did (maybe even more, if you counted the many obsessive crushes on the lissome Alt Cunningham I encountered while over there!) Get it right? Are you kidding?
Skills? Execution? All I had to do was play a level of the Witcher to see THAT. It wasn’t just gorgeous to look at—it was dense, complex, and immersive. It was so well done that it made you have to play it. We looked at what the crew at CDPR had created in their exacting recreation of Sapkowski’s world and we positively drooled at what the same crew could do with OUR world. And knowing that they loved Cyberpunk® as much as we do just sealed the deal.
More information.

Great update, really looking forward to this project, as it sounds like they are working hard to capture the feel of the pen and paper experience.

Usually, professional over passionate people are prefered when working on large teams.

Passionate people tend to developp their own vision of the things to be done and ultimately, no longer work on developping the vision of the designer, the game that is supposed to be made but their own vision of the game and the game they would like to play.

Can work wonders in small teams as a synergy between the few members takes off. In large teams that requires non consensual direction, passion of the job can be a serious drawback. If the game does not go the way a passionate wants it, then loss in passion, loss in productivity, loss in commitment.

I remember reading from the same studio that the author of the White Wolf did not get involved much for the first opus, only giving loose directions.
Dont know if this author might do the same. But something is sure: all the guys from that studio who played Cyberpunk played in for different reasons than a guy in the US played it. Just see the change of overall ambiance from TW1 to TW2.
They will have to manage that clash of passions.

I don't quite understand ChienAboyeur - you feel that being a professional means you cannot be passionate about the project you are working on?

Back
Top Bottom